“Clean and Budget Friendly”

Inn By The Bay Monterey
Ranked #37 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed April 19, 2012

This is an alright place to stay if you're traveling on a budget. The staff seemed nice, the room was clean, though a little on the small side, and the location is convenient to the attractions in Monterey. Our room had no A/C and the electric stand up fan was broken. We called down to the office and they brought us a working fan, so that was a plus. During the night we opened our window since it was hard to sleep with the fan buzzing at the foot of the bed, but that was a problem too since every footstep and piece of luggage that was carted through the area echoed through the door sized window that faced the walkway and parking lot, plus someone could literally step in through it if desired. After a not so good night's sleep we headed to the office for our "complimentary breakfast" which consisted of a loaf of sliced bread and concentrated orange juice, and if you wanted that, you had to "toast and run" since there wasn't any space to sit and eat. Other than that, it's fine for a budget motel, but will cost a little more.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 10, 2012

I stayed one night, as a stop before traveling down hwy one. It was fine. Clean, accessible, friendly. I would be fine stayimg here for business or with my family. But if you want something remotely modern or romantic, this place is not for you. Also, plan on buying breakfast. I think there was a toaster and a loaf of bread. And that was at 8:30am.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Sharla M
Reviewed February 15, 2012

I have been looking for a place to stay while I work at the AT&T golf tournament. This is the third hotel I have tried over the past three years and I don't think I need to look elsewhere. I've been looking for a cheaper place in the area and I have landed at some properties that, even though I have worked in law enforcement for some years, I have not felt comfortable. At the El Adobe, I felt comfortable leaving my door open in the evenings. It is small (27 rooms, I think) and older (it could use a bit of paint in spots) but they have done a great job trying to keep it up. After a long day on the golf course, I was still able to walk downtown, just a couple of blocks away. I had a couple of minor issues that needed to be resolved and the guy at the desk came right up and fixed things immediately. The woman at check-in was also pleasant and willing to go above and beyond to help.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room to the rear of the hotel (away from the road).
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Hoopsdad
Reviewed February 9, 2012

We stayed only one night as part of our trip route 1.Location is great.
Convenient access to major roads and Hwy 1..and easy parking.
The couple running the hotel were friendly and helpfull.
The room we stayed was clean and big.Large windows with a nice view. Beds were comfy but pillows are hard.Crisp white bed linens.Bathroom was very clean and efficent.
Breakfast was very basic.
Recomended

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 18, 2012

The room was nice, clean, and comfortable. Staff was friendly and parking was free. Drawbacks: breakfast wasn't great and it would have been nice to be within walking distance of Cannery Row. Overall a nice hotel and a great value.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Just needed a quick stop overnight for work, attentive staff, decent facilities, decent stay.

Room Tip: Western exposure rooms do offer the slimmest seaside view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 29, 2011

We stayed here for two nights during winter break. Rooms were very, very clean and quite spacious.

We had a very comfy king plus twin, with a flat screen tv, microwave, fridge and table with two chairs.

Really well situated - about 15 minutes walk to wharf and downtown. The hot tub was very clean and well maintained. Breakfast (free) was Spartan, coffee, juice, toast and mini Danish, but we supplemented with yogurt from Trader Joe's down the street.

Two complaints: first, it is an older building so a bit noisy and second, my Booking.com rate of $60 per night did not include a $10 surcharge for our 9 year old, even though my search was for two adults plus one kid. Even at $70 the rate would have been fine so I don't know why they felt the need to not be upfront about the surcharge....and I know booking.com usually quotes the rate for the entire party so a bit weird that.

• Stayed: December 2011