“Cozy and inexpensive” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lone Oak Lodge

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Lone Oak Lodge
Ranked #3 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Long Beach, CA
“Cozy and inexpensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2006

From the outside this little motel doesn't look like much, but it's what's on the inside that counts. The rooms are cozy with fireplaces and featherbeds. Our Shower was also a steam-room. The location was very convenient. And the price was better than the big-cheap-chains.
We had a great night in Monterey.

• Stayed December 2005
5 Thank SFRosie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2005

We will never stay here again after the paranoid police-state attitude displayed when we checked in. We had prepaid reservations and when we checked in we were asked for identification "for security purposes because this is a military area." Since I travel often and had never heard of such a strange policy before, I asked if it was some kind of a new government regulation for this area. The woman clerk, or owner, did not answer my question and launched into a long (and inaccurate) monologue about Timothy McVeigh. I was so shocked at her insinuation that we didn't walk out then as we should have. Later, I asked whether other members of our group who were staying at another hotel down the street were subjected to a similar inquisition. Of course, they had not been. When I was in the hotel industry years ago, I could never have imagined treating paying guests in this manner.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Issaquah, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2005

We stayed here for a few days based on the previous writeups here. The room was very clean and comfortable. You can hear the comings and goings of other guests because the parking spots are right in front of the rooms. Other than that, it was a perfect stay. We'd be happy to stay here again.

2 Thank wanative57
Southern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2005

An old fashioned motel from the 50's perhaps, but the rooms were a decent size, modernly furnished, and well equiped including 27 inch TV, VCR, and stereo CD player/radio. Not that we used any of these, because we were at Laguna Seca watching the races. Most importantly, the beds were good. Office people were friendly and helpful. Far enough from the airport that noise is not a problem like it is with places farther North on Fremont Street.

5 Thank PeteL92833
Fresno, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2005

We booked our stay here on the recommendation of our local scuba dive shop. I used the motel's website to book the room, not Travelocity, etc. One would think the motel is not paying fees to someone else if you book direct from their site, right? Upon arrival, the customer in front of me said he was checking in with the "scuba diver's rate." When it was my turn, I gave the name of my dive shop and asked if I could get the same rate. As stated by previous posts, John, the owner/manager, scolded me and made me feel embarrassed in front of the other customer, told me I lost about $30 for booking online instead of calling direct, and told me next time I should call to get the best rates (at this point I was sure there would be no “next time”). However, the rooms, compared to others in Monterey in this price range, were very clean and the beds were comfortable. They use a feather-bed type mattress topper, which takes away from motel mattress feel. Being divers, they had a nice washout area for our gear and hooks outside the doors of each room for hanging wet gear. Since this is a motel, you can park right in front of your room, also convenient when loading and unloading dive gear. We will stay here again, as the price is right and for divers the place is perfect. We will try to keep clear of the "Soup Nazi" managers.

• Stayed September 2005
5 Thank MyTakeFromCA
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2005

Arrived before stated check-in time. Our room wasn't ready but was cleaned immediately. We waited in the small courtyard area until the room was ready. Once done, the room was immaculate. It was a large room with a small frig and nice sink area outside the bathroom. Shower only, no tub, which was fine with us. Plenty of large, thick, fluffy towels for our use in the room (our previous motel left us 1 towel--very small, thin & rough-- a piece). I thought it was a great value. I only wish we were closer to downtown Monterey----not much to do/see within walking distance.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
5 Thank zxc12
Santa Barbara
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2005

For a value-priced motel, we were very pleased. The room was clean and comfortable. They obviously care about maintaining the property - our room, though not fancy, had a new granite countertop. I like the location because we were a short walk from a Safeway, Longs Drugstore, a bakery, video stores, a Denny's, a liquor store, many of the places that are convenient to be near when traveling. Also nice to have a fridge in room.

I read the May 2004 review where the clerk yelled at the customer, but only after I had made my reservation. I completely sympathize with them because that is totally unacceptable and if it happened to me I would NEVER go back. But I think the same lady checked us in and she was nothing but friendly and helpful. I think it was her because she did have a high-strung energy about her, so hopefully it was just an isolated incident.

Overall, I think I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2005