“Good value and ok location”

Red Roof Inn & Suites Monterey
Ranked #39 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Stavanger, Norway
“Good value and ok location”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Me and my wife stayed here recently, and we had no problems at all with the stay. Fast check in and check out, pleasant staff and a good price. We only stayed here for 1 night, but everything looked good. The room was clean, had an ok TV with lots of channels, a minibar and microwave. The room was also very spacious, and there was little or no noise from outside, since most/all rooms had some distance to the main street.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Neil P, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Monterey, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Guest:

WOW! My entire staff is delighted that you have given us a PERFECT rating based on your wonderful experience staying with us. We always put our best efforts to complete the check-in process with efficiency, so our guests don’t have to wait too long. We offer the best affordable rates that our guests can experience so that they come back to visit us and become our VIP guests.

I’m glad that you enjoyed all of the amenities that we provide for your convenience. We would love to host you again. Please call us or book directly with us at redroofinnmonterey.com for guaranteed, hassle free and best rates for your future reservations.
I truly appreciate your business and lovely feedback!

Neil (G.M.)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Sierra Vista
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights and had a very nice room, good wifi, very clean and comfortable. Great prices. Would definitely stay here again. Continental breakfast was minimal, but was sufficient. Good location, and clerk was helpful about finding restaurants. Definitely recommend.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Neil P, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Monterey, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Janny,

We greatly appreciate that you wanted to share your experience with us based on your stay. We always want to see our guests happy and by doing that we have to provide great customer service. We want our guests to be able to see the effort that we put in everyday situations. We are happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the free wifi we offer and the great, clean, and comfortable beds. Please do refer us to your friends and family and we really do hope to see you again in the future. Also, next time do book directly with us or through redroofinnmonterey.com. By booking with us directly, your reservations are always guaranteed without any hassle.

San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a combined business/ weekend getaway. Overall, our impressions were pretty on par for the type of hotel. It started to go wrong when we got back after a day out to go to bed and the mattress was broken. It was completely sunken in on one side. Luckily, it was a king bed so my husband and I were able to squish together on one side. Also, the fridge clicked all night long and neither of us slept more then an hour at a time that night. This made for a very tough day the next day when we were looking forward to going to the aquarium.
The next morning we went to the manager who immediately gave us a new room for the second night we were staying. He moved all of our items for us, so we let it go. The room had a fully functioning bed and fridge, but then the next morning my husband goes to shower and the handle for the shower falls off and he cannot adjust the temperature. I attempt to shower later and cannot "rig" it the same way my husband did so the water did not turn on at all. I had just gone for a run, was running late, and had a meeting to get to. I did a hasty sponge bath and went to check out.
Due to the constant and continued disappointment, I expressed to the manager I expected to be compensated. The manager insisted multiple times we should've brought it to his attention when it happened, but when I questioned him what he would've done (broken bed at 10:30 at night when the hotel was completely sold out) he said he didn't know. Also, I was already running late and did not feel like moving my stuff (again) to shower. I continued to push for compensation and he reported that all he could do was give me 10% off the cheapest night. This resulted in a whopping $5.70 off our $200 bill. He also insinuated that these complaints may be coming from our inability to pay for the room. This was not the case, and terribly insulting. To be fair, the manager also offered 25% off our next stay and/or the second night free. This would have been adequate if I had any intention of staying there again. This, of course, will not be happening.
Needless to say, we were incredibly disappointed and frustrated when leaving the hotel. All we wanted was a place to sleep and shower and we apparently could only do one or the other. I would highly recommend staying somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Katrina B
Neil P, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Monterey, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Katrina:

I’m sorry that we could not fully fulfill your expectation for your stay. I request you to understand the situation that only allows us to work within our limits. As you are aware of the fact very well:
After looking at your feedback, I attempted to contact you to discuss the situation but did not get any response.
Upon your concern, I immediately changed the room and took personal responsibility for your personal belongings. I had my own assessments on this room, and confirmed everything was functioning well in order. The next day around noon it was a bit of a surprise at the time of C/O, when you mentioned the SHOWER. I still went ahead and considered a DISCOUNT without any questions which was within my limit and also offered another room for the rest of your needs. Your rate was $57 for that night. It was not $200 at all. I also promised 20-25% off or a 1 night FREE for your future stay. So I had willingly done whatever I could do within my ability. The intention was “I wanted you to be happy and for you to come back”.
During this time, you were WELL AWARE that my staff verified the SHOWER issue. I immediately informed you that nothing was wrong with it and everything still worked perfectly OKAY! While you were walking away through the parking lot, I was requesting you that we both can look at it to make sure everything is well, because I wanted you to leave happily. You just said that it’s all OKAY and that I did not need to go back and look at it. I was shocked about this concern!
This was concluded that we both agreed that there was nothing wrong with the SHOWER or any issues had been left.
Again, I’m sorry to hear from you, as you are my valued GUEST and it’s always our effort to make your stay pleasant. Please allow us one more opportunity to host you again and we promise that you will experience a difference!

Monterey, California
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was very impressed with the size and quality of the room. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Easy location to get to. Great price too, it was nicer than more expensive rooms that I've stayed in. Will be on the lookout for more Red Roof Inns on our travels!

• Stayed October 2013
Neil P, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Monterey, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Jesse,

We are delighted that you have given us a perfect rating based on your experience staying with us. We want to provide guest service that people remember, so that next time they are in Monterey, they can enjoy their stay with us. We are happy that you were able to enjoy the size and the quality of our newly renovated rooms. My staff works very kindly with guests and always enjoys talking to them and answering any questions. Please do refer us to your friends and family and we hope to see you again in the future. Also, next time do book directly with us or through redroofinnmonterey.com. By booking directly with us, your reservations are always guaranteed without any concerns.

Hayward, California
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed at this Motel twice in two day stints a few weeks apart and I would stay here again.

There is no elevator to the second floor so I ended up just leaving most of my bags in the car and just taking out what I needed.

It was great to see the property is advertised as "non-smoking" but I did see someone smoking outside one of the buildings and there was one of those pits cigarette butts near the front of the property. I think what the staff actually means is that all the rooms are non-smoking not that it is a non-smoking property - maybe a slight language issue here because it is definitely not a non-smoking "property".

I like the wireless internet included - strong signal both stays and the flat screen tv. My second stay the tv did not get in many of the channels and I mentioned it to the front desk staff and they said they would look into it but I never got another response and it didn’t work right both days I was there. I didn't care too much because I had plenty of choices channel choices that worked fine and I really wasn't going to watch much tv.

Both the rooms were very nice overall. A good value for the money. Plenty of towels. The first room did have a very poorly designed toilet stall though. The toilet was not centered in the stall and way too close to the wall. It may not be an issue for smaller people but I’m about 6’3 and it definitely was not the best. Just poorly designed because the stall is actually plenty big enough.

Also as far as design issues. It is definitely not wise to put a portable fountain right in the middle of a sidewalk near the rooms over the office. The fountain looked nice though.

At the check-in they are all business. Definitely not interested in small talk of any kind. I also tried to use the reward Redi card which gives you points towards a future stay but I must have heard at least four or five times from two different people that I should have registered through their website and not through Expedia (I actually used United.com). They seem oblivious that their website charges higher rates for rooms so why would anyone go through it directly. It sounded more like something rehearsed or that someone told them to say because almost to the word both staff members said the same thing.

They tried to help me and I’ll give them credit for that but it was obvious they really didn’t understand what I meant about crediting my previous stay or they could not do it easily. The lady at the counter said she would look into it. I forgot about it until the manager called me the next day and of course I needed to meet with him to resolve this. Putting it back on me the customer saying I should have used their website to make the reservation and thus pay a higher price too is not good service. It seemed like a little thing and I thought they could just punch a few things on the keyboard and give me the proper credit but they couldn't do it and it was not worth my time to pursue it further. Too much time wasted already. I know I will probably never get enough points to get anything through their rewards.

The breakfast is very minimal as far as choices too but I wasn’t expecting much. There was a strange sign saying something along the lines of asking you to eat your food in the small area with a few tables only - but every time I went there wasn't a seat. Nothing wrong with eating in my room of course. There are plenty of good places to get something to eat within walking distance and I figure that's what most people would do.

Overall, very clean, good location, walkable distance to good places to eat so I’ll likely stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We are very delighted to hear that you have shared your experience staying with us. Our guests are the most important asset of our business. We want to provide the best service so that they can return in the future for great stays. We are glad you were able to enjoy all of the amenities we have to offer such as free wifi, flat screen televisions, and free breakfast. We sincerely apologize that you had some slight issues about your stay, but we promise that we can fix that in the future. Overall, we are very thankful that you gave us a good rating based on what you experienced. Please do refer us to your friends and family and we hope to see you again in the future. Also, next time do book directly with us or through redroofinnmonterey.com. By booking directly with us, your reservations are always guaranteed without any concerns.

Modesto, California
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

what can I say. The staff here were amazingly welcoming. people that say that customer service is no longer alive and well obviously have never been to the Red Roof Inn in Monterey. my boyfriend and I made last minute reservations the night before and got a wonderful rate even though it was for a Saturday night. We arrived before check-in time Saturday morning andthe manager graciously accommodated us by giving us the room key early. We were new to the area and asked for some recommendations for things to do places to see and the manager immediately had more than a few great ideas directions how to get there phone numbers to call even contact names to refer to it was like rooming with your own personal concierge. We had a wonderful stay. The rooms are spotless. Pillows so comfy. The tile floor in the bathroom area really make a difference. Location is out of the way but close enough to be a five minute drive from literally everywhere. We will definitely make the Red Roof Inn our home away from home anytime we are in the area.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Angela,

We are extremely happy that you have given us a perfect rating based on your experience staying with us. Here at Red Roof, we want to provide the best guest service out of all the other competitors in town. We want to be on top, so that our guests come back in the future. My staff does a great job to make sure each guest is treated in the kindliest manner. My housekeeping staff works very hard to make sure that each room is spotless and fresh for guests to enjoy. Please do refer us to your friends and family and we hope to see you again in the future. Also, next time do book directly with us or through redroofinnmonterey.com. By booking directly with us, your reservations are always guaranteed without any concerns.

Monterey, California
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel three nights while our home in Monterey was being fumigated. The room was clean, comfortable, and relatively quiet, though a bit on the small side. Maid service was excellent; on checkout, the front desk person offered to help us with our many bags.

The hotel is pet-friendly but strangely has a policy of not allowing dogs to be walked on the property. We were expected to take our dog from the back of the property to the street several hundred feet away in the middle of the night. They need to allocate some space on the property for this purpose if they're really going to be pet-friendly.

Overall, I'd recommend Red Roof Inn in Monterey if you're looking for a clean, affordable, centrally located place, particularly if you're attending events at the County Fairgrounds or Laguna Seca.

Room Tip: Rooms in the buildings at the rear of the property will be quieter than those at the front, which fa...