“Exceeded Our Expectations”

Ranked #35 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
San Francisco
“Exceeded Our Expectations”
Reviewed January 1, 2007

After reading the reviews here, expectations were high. And the Colton Inn delivered. We stayed there over the holiday weekend and left today. The front desk staff was informative and friendly. Free parking was ample, which is a rarity in Monterey hotels. Our fireplace was stocked everyday with a new log. There are several hundred free movies to choose from at the front desk, including new releases. We didn't try the continental breakfast, but noted that it was available as promised. The in-room mini refrigerator and microwave were a surprise, and we were so happy that they were there to chill the champagne and heat the leftovers.

There were a couple of minor details that I wrote down on our guest card that could use improvement, as follows:
1. Additional chain lock on the door. The deadbolt is nice and dandy, but for added security and the FEELING of added security, I would like a chain lock on the foor.
2. The closer on the door to our room didn't do its job of swinging the door shut against the jamb, so we had to be certain that it was closed all the way when exiting or entering.
3. The television in our room was fading out, in that, the corners were losing their color. This will more than likely spread to the entire television, and I suggested that it be replaced.

I would highly recommend this inn. It was just as good for sleep, comfort, and amenities as the three and four star properties we are accustomed to staying.

• Liked — Super clean and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Thin walls/noisy on the ground floor with lots of guests going in and out
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Quavondo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Finnish first
California
Reviewed December 29, 2006

Our family's first stay. Great service!! We were pleasantly surprised at the accommocations and location. The Inn was cozy and the staff was friendly and helpful,
- Close to Carmel, Fisherman's Wharf, the Monterey Aquarium, movie theaters, shopping.
- Nice room, clean, great heater, DVC/VCR, microwave, refrigerator, balcony
- Great continental breakfast. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, flavored creamer, muffins, breads, pastries, large variety of cold cereal, oatmeal, fruit.
- Several movies to choose from.
Will definately stay there again!!

Stayed December 2006
6 Thank traveler82721
california
Reviewed December 17, 2006

My husband and I needed a last minute getaway. After checking around to what was available and reading all the reviews. I knew we had to stay here. It was last miinute and a room was available. It was perfect. Very clean and comfortable. As stated by other reviews the staff was very polite. The refreshments in the lobby were plenty and often refreshed. It was perfect. We can't wait to stay again.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable. Towels really soft.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CaliforniaG
Rancho Palos Verdes
Reviewed November 15, 2006

I was looking for a place in Monterey for @ $100 bucks a night.
Since we were travelling w/ our young children (7 and 4 years old)
we wanted something that was kid-friendly and within walking distance of downtown.
After checking out the reviews on TripAdvisor, the Colton Inn seemed like the best place.
We couldn't have been happier. Jane the manger made us feel like family. From the moment we checked in, she made us feel right at home.
Here's what's great about the place:
-- Good sized rooms.
-- Free DVDs you can check out (great for kids)
-- A big assortment of cookies, tea, coffee available all day
-- A huge assortment of breakfast muffins, bagels, juice and something like at least 10 choices of cereal. (again great for kids)
-- Jane, the manager -- She's awesome.
We definitely didn't feel like we were staying in some faceless corporate hotel. We'll be back next time we're in Monterey.

• Liked — Jane the manager. She made our stay terrific!
  • Disliked — Nothing. My stay here far exceeded my expectations.
  • Tips/Secrets — If they're available, the two day Aquarium passes available from the front desk are a great value.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
10 Thank Grendelreal
United States
Reviewed November 12, 2006

Stayed at the Colton Inn Nov 5-8, 2006 for a symposium. Chose this hotel for location and price and after reading reviews on TripAdvisor. I found the positive reviews to be very accurate. I would stay here again and have already recommended it to a friend who travels on business to Monterey relatively frequently.

It is about 3 blocks to the main streets in downtown Monterey (Calle Principal and Alvarado), which was important to me. The property has some covered parking. I had a two queen bed room on the 2nd floor with a small balcony on the back of the building. They have an elevator. It was quiet, clean and furnished like your standard newer Double Tree or Hilton type rooms in a major city. It had a table, desk and a separate well lighted work area with built in desk. I had no problems accessing their free wireless internet service. The bathroom was large with higher quality soap, shampoo and lotion, etc. The front desk is where the continental breakfast is located. No place to eat but they have trays for bringing to your room. The breakfast had about a dozen excellent pastries, breads, muffins and about 7 cereals, oj, coffee and tea.

The front desk clerk was very helpful when I inquired about sushi restaurants late one night. He called to make sure the restaurants were open and printed out maps.

I read about leaf blowers being used early in other reviews. I didn't hear any in the 4 days I was there. I also left early each morning so may have missed it.

• Liked — price, location to downtown, free wireless internet, microwave and frige
  • Disliked — not a major negative, but an area with tables for eating breakfast would have been nice
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
10 Thank 1revuer
Ontario
Reviewed November 5, 2006

Great value, great service, great location....wouldn't even think of staying anywhere else when i return to Monterey. Thank you for going the extra mile in every way for your customers.

• Liked — value, service, location
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ryber
Mountain View, California
Reviewed October 29, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary, and we loved this Inn!! The rooms were clean and spacious, with microwave, mini-fridge, breakfast table, and writing desk, we even had a combo dvd/vcr player and they had a list of movies at the front desk that were free to rent. My advice, spend the extra 20 bucks or so and get the jacuzzi room - AAA knocks off 15- 20 bucks as well so mention that if you have it. You have your own private enclosed deck attached to the room and the jacuzzi is huge!!
My husband and I are on the hefty side and we fit in there sooo comfortably- that's hard to find these days. And to top it off the staff is super friendly. I had a bout of sea-sickness from the whale watching tour so we went to the hotel in hopes that our room would be ready and at 12:30 it was, even though check in was at 3pm, they let us check in just as they were finishing up the room which was awesome, and if that's not enough we got a great rate, espescially when other hotels were quoting 200+/night, we got our jacuzzi room for 169 which was a great deal considering cannery row and the wharf were about a 5 minute drive away. We'll definitely be back - I miss the jacuzzi already : (

• Liked — The spacious,clean rooms,huge jacuzzi,friendly staff, location-about 5-10 minute drive from everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!! I'm planning my next trip out there right now
  • Tips/Secrets — get the jacuzi room it's well worth it, families bring snacks and drinks there's a fridge and microwave in each room, also bring your favorite movie there's dvd/vcr combos in the jacuzzi rooms, otherwise there are vcr in the standards but there are free movie rentals at the front desk as well
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple