“start your leaf blowers...”
Review of Colton Inn

Colton Inn
Ranked #29 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed June 25, 2006

oh, never again. Never, never, never.....

The leaf blowers in the residential area right behing the motel started up at 6:45 am.... and kept going for two hours.... I will never again stay here. Rev-- rev-rev-rev ....all morning long. The front desk folks DO NOT CARE ABOUT THIS!

And no, the front desk check in folks are not that friendly ( as listed before) - and I felt that the rooms are not that fantastic- the porch in the room looks into some kind of over grown drainage ditch. If you want one step up from a Motel Six then this is the way to go I guess. But relaxing... NEVER!! A good nights sleep... NEVER! Sleeping in.....FORGET ABOUT IT!

• Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank hastababy

Reviewed June 11, 2006

OK as you pull up you are wondering whether you made the right choice...You will be OK tho...The rooms here were recently redone, atleast they look to be new...The bathroom we had was great, large and very clean...For the price I would have rather stayed right downtown...The breakfast was better than most and the parking was free...Now for the thing that bothered me the most...I went into the office to ask a question about a restaurant and the night front desk clerk was on the phone with a customer checking rates and asked if the customer had any children...They answered no, and the clerk said yippee, thank god...OK I had just checked in an hour prior and he was kind enough to get me a crib for my 6 month old, so he knew I had a kid and now he was celebrating when a future customer tells him he has no children...Just left a bad taste in my mouth...We had no problems other than that. I had read that the Colton Inn was family friendly, but that employee WASN'T! Other than that this hotel was fine, just a little off the main strip...If you don't mind walking then I would recommend...

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank Jaydog72
Los Angeles
Reviewed May 28, 2006

We stayed at the Colton last week on a Monday. After reading the reviews I expected more from this place and was a little surprised when we looked at the room. It was nothing like picture I saw online. It looked and felt like an old outdated room from 30 years ago, but we just drove up from LA and didn't feel like looking at other hotels. The Biggest problem of the visit was the Gas Powered leaf blower in the library parking lot next door at 7am! The clerk at the desk said they knew about the leaf blower on Tuesdays and couldn't do anything to stop him. We stayed in room 110 (directly facing the parking lot)and I highly recommend finding another room during the week if you choose this hotel. Also I think it was too pricey for what it was.

• Stayed: May 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 9, 2006

I would especially recommend the Colton Inn for families. My mom, sister, aunt and I spent one night and were pleasantly suprised by the cleanliness and comfort of the room. We had a room with 2 queen beds and a fireplace--it was really cozy watching a video (free collection of several hundred videos/dvds) with a log burning in the fireplace. Continental breakfast is complimentary and there are wonderful snacks and coffe/tea/milk/juice in the lobby all day until 10:30 p.m. The front desk staff was exceptional friendly and helpful. The location is convenient to Fisherman's wharf--I recommend driving part of the way and finding on street (free) parking a couple blocks from the wharf and walking the rest of the way. It's a bit or a walk otherwise (about 8 blocks).This inn is a great value and I would definately stay there again.

6  Thank sulurph
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed May 2, 2006

If you want value for you money and want an at home feeling. Stay at the Colton Inn in Monterey California.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 25, 2006

Stayed 2 nights a the Colton hotel, and would recomment this hotel to everybody, the staff were very freindly and helpfull. The rooms were basic but very clean, there was also breakfast included with coffee and muffins free all day. Free videos were also available from the reception this was great for the Kids..We also went on the whale watching trip while in Monterey this was exciting but if the weather is bad then this trip will be very rough the boat is like a cork, around 75% of the people on the boat were sick..If I am ver in Monterey then I will book the Colton.

4  Thank Duscobra
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 23, 2006

Why can't all hotels be like this? The first impression is great because the check-in area is loaded with cookies, fruit and all kinds of teas. The front desk help bends over backwards to help. They offer tons of videos for free use. Then you get to your room and notice they spent a just little more on everything: the soaps and shampoos, the linens and blankets, the artwork and carpetting. Yet they don't pass these costs on, so a great value feels all that much greater.

To top it all off you get a lovely continental breakfast by a bubbling creek. This is our official hotel for any future Monterey/Carmel visits. It's no Ritz Carlton, but there is no better value in the Golden state. In fact, even if your main stay is going to be Carmel, I still recommend you stay here and drive the ten minutes to Carmel.

• Stayed: April 2006