“Very Good, Quiet, near Downtown”
Review of Colton Inn

Colton Inn
Ranked #29 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Upon arrival, Checked in Lobby, had Fresh Coffee, and Fireplace was going! I reserved A room with a Private Spa, and it was worth every cent. Room was spacious, Comfortable bedding. Room had everything we needed, including Microwave & Fridge. Spa was spacious full size 2 person unit, Not one of those jetted tubs where you are bumping into each other. Check out was at noon, which gave us more a.m. time in the spa. On site Free parking, continental Breakfast with good fresh variety, and walking distance to Downtown Monterey. Lobby staff very Friendly, asked if everything was ok upon check out. Would Definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 26, 2011

Said they were putting us "at the end" where it was quiet. At 7:15AM I was awakened by what sounded like someone chain sawing tree limbs. it was Guys in the parking lot of the Library that you could see from one window with leaf blowers. That was Monday. Those things should be outlawed! Then, the next morning I was awakened TWICE by a maid unlocking, opening our door saying "Housekeeping", stepping into the room as she said it! And I had put up my own extra "Do Not Disturb" sign(as I always do) and couldn't believe she did it a second time 45 minutes later! and we still had 2 and a half HOURS to go before Checkout!! They let you take up to 3 movies up to your room for free and the selection is extensive. Everyone at the front desk was nice and helpful. But the Help needs to read some English! I mean, their own signs are color-coded, with one side red for Maid, Clean the Room and one green for Privacy Please, and there was the extra one I used Masking tape to put above the very lock she had to open! The rooms had everything, frig, microwave, etc. heck, the Best Western I'm in right now doesn't have those. They gave us an $89 rate by phone just 2 days before arriving, which was $50 less than the price quoted on Hotels.com. But don't take room 223! at least if you're gonna be there on Monday morning!

Room Tip: Call on the Phone for reservations 'cause you'll get ripped off doing it on-line.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
ColtonInn, General Manager at Colton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2011

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our downtown Monterey inn. We always strive to offer the highest quality service and a quality property with numerous ammenities located in the BEST location. Just a clarification that our online rates booked at COLTONINN.COM are exactly the same online as they are if you speak to one our guest services representatives.

Thanks again.

Dave

Reviewed October 24, 2011

I chose the Colton Inn for the weekend part of my business trip. Availability was very tight, and it seemed like a good value for the downtown area. We did have a good-sized room with a tiny balcony, and appreciated the fridge and microwave included. The room was fairly plain, but we had no problems to speak of. Nothing was new there, but it seemed to be well maintained.

One minus -- the "air freshener" odor was too strong when we first arrived. Pluses: an elevator for my heavy luggage, very professional staff, quiet neighborhood, green space in back, and excellent quality baked goods for breakfast. There is a beautiful deck in back for dining, but no indoor space.

If I'm on a tight budget again next time, I would consider staying here again, even though it's a bit of a hike to the Conference Center.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Property is average. When we arrived we looked in the tiny refrigerator to find that the previous occupant had left grapes and something else in a tupperware dish that I was afraid to open because it was moldy. Not sure when was the last time the cleaning crew cleaned the refrigerator.
Then we looked under the bed and found cigarette ashes and leaves. So not sure when was the last time the cleaning crew cleaned under the bed. So after that we just felt that the place was cleaned in a rush and we didn't feel comfortable.
We had a jacuzzi room. The jacuzzi is outside, sort of. It is in an enclosed-type room but you can see out through the wooden slats in the ceiling and there are no window coverings on the windows that face out into what appear to be an overgrown wooded area. The jacuzzi is not preheated and it takes FOREVER to warm up. It kept shutting off before it could get up to temperature. Also the screen for one of the back jacuzzi room windows had been pushed off and it was sitting down in the ravine behind the hotel.
Upon check-out we mentioned the food left in the refrigerator, the items under the bed, and the screen and all the management said was, "I guess maintenance has some work to do". We were not offered any compensation or credit for our stay.
On the plus side, cookies were nice in the evenings. Never did do the breakfast as it is in a very cramped area and the only tables to eat at are right on the back deck of people's rooms. Not very private for the rooms with the deck.
We will not stay here again due to cleanliness and maintenance issues that were not even apologized for.

Room Tip: Don't get the rooms with the back decks that are shared. You will be sharing them with the entir...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jediprincess26
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Recently stayed at this property - overall average. Quiet and about 10 minutes walk to the main areas of Monterey; however, we were not given the room type reserved and paid for. I reserved a King room ($159/night) and was given a Queen ($99/night). When I questioned the front desk I was told my reserveration was for a Queen. Thank God for the internet and smart phones - I went down to the front desk and showed my confirmed King reservation. I was then told they were out of King rooms and the Queen was all that was available. When I questioned a price difference, I was told the rooms were the same price and a refund was refused. Just check any week-end to confirm the price difference.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chris A
Reviewed October 3, 2011

My family thoroughly enjoyed our three night stay. The hotel is in a perfect location and walking distance to many sites. My kids loved the big park across the street and the library next door. I was pleasantly surprised with the continental breakfast and great coffee (most places offer the basics- it sure was nice to see eggs!).
If you're looking for the Embassy Suites this isn't for you. If you're looking for an affordable, comfortable and safe place to stay look no further.
We'll be back next October.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Good basic place to stay. Rate is about right, given the its in the middle of Monterey. Rooms vary in size - we had a 3rd floor room w/ sofa and fireplace. The fireplace was not a 'built in' type, which others in our party (1st floor) had. Another one in our party had a balcony but it cut into the overall size of the room. Bed was good, room was sizeable, large DVD collection loaned out for no charge. Only 'problem' was the shower - cannot control the pressure and the shower head is similar to ones at the beach - basically a stream of water. Good continental breakfast and cookies in the afternoon. Located in a quiet part of town. I don't think you would consider this a 'party' hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends