“California Vacation”

Ranked #4 of 11 Monterey B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“California Vacation”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Not impressed at all. Stayed because nothing else was available, however I think my car would have been more comfortable. Over prices, not very clean, very small, no sound barrier between rooms. Was not comfortable hear my neighbors bodily functions. Best piece of advise, keep driving.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed September 20, 2013

The manager greeted u with a smile and he let us check in early. He even let us pick out room and updated us with no charge. The inn is conveniently located only minutes from Cannery Row and 15 mins from Carmel. Our room was newly renovated so everything seemed new. The continental breakfast was good Costco muffins coffee and cereal and fruit. The only thing I would change is the pillows and the beds. We usually bring our own pillows when we travel. The pillows were flat en when we doubled it up so we asked for 2 more and it was much better. Also the bed is quite stiff. Other than that we only paid $60 with taxes/fees included for a 2 queen bed suite. I don't think anyone else in the area is offering sun a great deal. The most important thing to me when staying anywhere is how clean it is and this hotel was clean enough for us. Also the staff being so pleasant is a plus!! We will probably stay again but will bring our own pillows and maybe our gel mattress pad!

• Stayed September 2013
Barcelona, España
Reviewed September 8, 2013

It's a normal hotel, very cheap, however we have been so confortable because of the kindness and helpfull people in the check-in!! I would come back!!
There is a great price-quality relation. We were going on a road trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Duarte, CA
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Expect to overpay for this 1-star hotel (listed as 2-star? gimme a break!).
The room is your typical motel room. Bed, couple of nightstands, TV, desk and bathroom. A couple of advantages are that they have a mini-fridge, microwave and coffee maker in the room. Everything in the room was in good working condition. The bed mattress is lumpy and not very comfortable. The bathroom is very small with a very small shower. Water pressure in the shower is weak. Everything in the room was clean.
Parking lot is small and awkward.
They have a very small outdoor pool.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
El Cerrito, California, Usa
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The room rates at Bayside are volatile; maybe all hotels in the Monterey area are like this. We paid over $200 for Saturday night, and the rate for next Saturday is $400!!! $50 to $75 would be more appropriate. Our room had one queen bed. There was just enough room to walk past the bed to the diminutive shower/toilet area and small sink. The huge TV occupied nearly all of the desk. Small microwave atop the little (cold) fridge. A folding metal chair completed the furniture. Nowhere to open a suitcase or hang clothing. Room was about 9ft by 15 ft. Could hear the TV from next door; glad that was all we heard. Street noise and the roar of aircraft dropped off at night to quiet. When we took a shower next morning, the towels were damp as if they had already been used- I think they were clean. Breakfast was ok: cereal, milk, coffee, orange coloured liquid (was it juice or Tang?), quartered muffins perhaps from Costco. All this was compactly arranged on a small counter in the office; there was room for one or two peple at a time to get food and leave the space. We used our folding chair for a b'fast table. Gentleman manning the office was pleasant. Hoping not to return.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Monterey hotels

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Grezanne was awesome wonderful employee she always when above and beyond great customer service, rooms are so nice and clean I will definitely come back and I recommend my friends and family to stay here.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank jackievelez
Oroville, California
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I was skeptical about staying here as I am with most new places that I try. I found it on Trip Advisor and chose this location over a different motel in the area. When we first drove up, dread hit me. Here is this motel in the middle of motel strip(tons of places to stay in this area from no names to Motel 6 to Embassy Suites) and when we drive up the sign is a bit old and dingy, and the driveway is tiny. We pull in and everything on the outside looks surprisingly nice(see pics). I am just waiting until my husband opens the door to our room for me to see what the inside looks like. SURPRISE!! It is BIG and it is VERY clean!! It has your usual small amount of musty smell for a motel in this area, but it is actually quite nice on the inside. Two Queen beds, a nice size tv, a microwave, a pretty large mini fridge, the bathroom is SPOTLESS and recently renovated with new tubs, counters and walls, new paint, and a separate seating area room with desk and three chairs. Now, I am not a bed snob, however the beds are really horrible. While they look pretty new, they are HARD as a rock. Like I said, I am normally not a bed snob at all, but these were very uncomfortable to sleep on. I kept having to change positions because my body was aching depending on what side I was sleeping on. They could definitely use some kind of foam topper or something to make those beds more comfortable. I understand doing that or changing out beds completely is extremely pricey, but something should be done. The other negative to this place is it CLOSE to an airport and the planes that fly overheard are REALLY loud and they woke me up several times at night. The walls are a bit thin, so you can hear everything that is going on next door or outside, however when we stayed(midweek) it was really rather quiet. Except those pesky planes. They really did sound like they were just a few feet from the roof. The continental breakfast was not bad looking. It was cereal, muffins and juice and coffee. I cannot say that I tried it out though. We just took a picture of it so you could see what it looked like. I would probably not stay here again only because of the beds because I didnt sleep well either night I was there, but the area felt very safe, it was very clean, the management was nice when we talked to them, so a good stay overall.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family