“What a ride!”

Monterey Bay Kayaks
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: 2 Amazing paddling locations - Monterey & Elkhorn Slough in Moss Landing! Kayak and standup paddleboard rentals, guided tours, classes and sales both locations. Open Daily 8:30 (except Christmas Day). Closing hours change seasonally.
Oceanside, California
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“What a ride!”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Having wanted to try kayaking for some time I picked Monterey Bay Kayaks. Sure glad I did. I spent several trips going into both locations (Monterey at Old Fisherman's Wharf and Moss Landing). I asked questions and got answers to everthing I needed to know. The staff at both locations is top notch. I picked Moss Landing due to no surf and to see the Elkhorn Reserve. What a wonderful trip. And I can tell you as a first timer, the hardest part of the entire adventure was getting dressed in the wet suit! So much fun it's hard to write it down.

Give them a try and you, like me, will be back for more,

Visited June 2013

Hagerman, Idaho
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“best nature kayak experience yet!”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

The aquarium is great, but If you are at all interested in seeing critters close up in the wild then you must do this excursion. I dragged my 68 year old mom on their sunrise kayak and she loved it. They keep the groups small-there were only 8 of us (4 kayaks) and the guide. The kayaks are the kind that you sit on top of-was much easier to get in and out of then the ones you sit inside of, and they provided us with wetsuits to keep your legs dry. One kayak tipped over-I think they were trying to get a shot of a sea lion. The guide, Jon, was there in a second, managing to pull both of them back up on their kayaks. We were all impressed and carried on with the excursion. Jon really was awesome-genuinely nice, informative, and excited to be out there showing us critters. There were a lot of critters to see! Sea lions swimming and leaping everywhere-we had one following us for a bit hamming it up. We also saw a ton of seals, as well as sea otters, dolphins, and cormorants. The coolest though was the sea hare. Jon was babbling about sea hares and how cool they were getting us all excited-and then we actually found one-it looks like a rabbit mated with a slug. Very cool. It trumped all the other critters. Also saw a huge sunflower starfish and a ton of other starfish of various colors.The water in amazingly clear and the morning is nice and calm and there was virtually no boat traffic so we really had the bay to ourselves and the critters. If I had the choice of this or the aquarium it would be this trip hands down.

Visited May 2013
Dayton, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Activity In Monterey”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We rented the Kayaks up at the Elkhorn Slough location. Loved it. No time limit. Equipment was very good. Employees are very friendly and helpful.

You will see a lot of seals and otters. This is an inland waterway so you will not see whales or dolphins. Water is calm with the exception of what any winds create.

I thought this was a very good value and highly recommend.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank PickyTravelerOH
Clovis, California
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Too Much Wildlife to Count!”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I had never kayaked before, but after talking to Cody on the phone we decided to make the 3 hour drive to the coast to celebrate a birthday on the water. We decided to skip the tour and rent single kayaks and try it ourselves. (You can save some money by going out yourselves instead of a tour.) The tour company was very helpful, and they give a very informative short orientation full of safety tips and weather info. PAY ATTENTION to the weather info. If they advise the wind will be strong after 2pm, listen to them. :) The cost also includes all gear you will need including wet suits and jackets. We paddled about 2 1/2 miles in, hooked up together, had a small picnic of cheese, salami, bread and white wine and headed back against the wind. While paddling you are surrounded by countless wildlife including numerous birds and mammals. I even had a seal lion jump over the front of my kayak and the sea otters were close enough to watch and hear them banging on shells and eat their lunch. I had a blast and have already begun research into purchasing a kayak myself. Go! Take the family! If you are visiting California this is a truly unique to California experience.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank K I
San Francisco
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Incredible Experience”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We reserved the new 9am-11am 2hr guided Kayak Tour with MBK. It was an incredible experience for me and my husband.

Pre-Trip info:

I was debating between the 7am-9am sunrise tour v.s. 10am-1pm 3hr morning tour; where the 7am is too early and cold but ocean could get a bit rough after 12pm. I called them for more information to help me to make decisions, they are very nice and patient to provide information and discuss different options to address my concern. They offered me the new 2hr tour which have not posted on their webpage yet, which turned out to be perfect for us. It is the perfect time and duration.

Preparation:

The company is located at a location which is very easy to find. We spotted it on our way to the hotel, and it is about half mile from our hotel. We arrived a bit early around 8:15am, they are not open yet -- we were informed to arrive 8:30-8:45am. It didn't bother us, we enjoyed the beautiful view of the beach right at the spot. The staffs arrived @8:30am promptly, and they are easy, happy and relaxed.

The tour:

It turned out to be we are having 3 person group, it is almost a private tour. Our guide Shawn is a super nice young fellow. He helped us to launch the kayak, and a beautiful 2 hr kayak started right from there. It was warm and calm, and the ride is nice and smooth. We didn't have to paddle hard to follow him, and we have a lot of time to take break and take pictures. He made stops from time to time, gave us a lot of great information about the ocean creatures and the nature.
We even had chance to carry our camera with big zoom lenses (it is very save), caught some great pictures of harbor seals and sea otters.

Visited April 2013