“Hidden Treasure”

Days Inn Monterey Downtown
Ranked #23 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed February 3, 2011

I travel a lot and am always looking for good deals for clean, quiet hotels close to amenities but not in the middle of the bustling crowds. I found this hotel by chance and it is now my go-to place when on the Monterey Peninsula. The Front Desk and Housekeeping staff is superb.The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. A variety of very good restaurants - Thai, Chinese, Mexican,Tapas -are in the immediate vicinity. Historical Monterey and Fisherman's Wharf are both well within walking distance. The rates for this hotel are very reasonable and competitive with accomodations elsewhere on the Monterey Peninsula. And, their high speed internet service is readily accessible and reliable.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank wmthorn
There are newer reviews for Days Inn Monterey Downtown

Reviewed January 31, 2011

My wife and I have come here the past couple of years for our anniversary because it is in a wonderful location (Monterey) and where can you book a suite, with a fire place, for their low price? The room is comfortable and includes a spa/tub and two televisions. The hotel is up on a hill and overlooks the Monterey Bay and is within walking distance of some wonderful eateries. The staff has always been friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mstremme913
Reviewed October 16, 2010

I haven't even checked in yet, but I feel compelled to write. I called to see if I could check in early. The guy at the front desk said he was the only one there and wouldn't be able to check for me. But if I got there in the next few minutes, then he would. I was like- why would I make the trip over there if I can't check in early? Can't you tell me over the phone? And he said no. When I asked why, he couldn't give me a reason. Why do people have no common sense?

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank traveler442003
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Like the previous poster, our room wasn't ready when we got there, smoking room. Maybe they clean them last to let them air out? We were given 2 Q room but had to change rooms in the morning, which was fine with us since it was only 2 ppl.
We didn't have any problem with either rooms toliet. We had a power flush in the first one. Scary when you flushed. Sinks drained fine and actually had water too hot for showers.

We had 2 different smoking rooms and didn't see any burn holes in the comforters. Yes the rooms could have been a little cleaner. Housekeeping needs to update their skill level.

We didn't come to watch tv so just the local news was good enough for us, but we did notice the outdated travel books too. We had done our research before leaving and didn't really need the book for guidance. The hot tub is only big enough for 2-3 ppl.

It was said on the website you could get tickets at the hotel for Aquarium and they didn't have them. We went to the Aquarium on Monday after lunch when the lines were way down. Walked thru the maze and got our tickets in 5 mins. Line is long first thing in the AM.

Centrally located with a mall up the street 2 lights. Good restuarants all around the area. Got lost trying to find a certain rest. so had to move the car and lost our prime parking spot. Had to park in front of the hotel.

Oceanview maybe on the upper floors of their properity next street over. (Behind original hotel).
Cruised thru bfast area. Don't really eat bfast so just got juice. Coffee in room was good. Fridge and microwave worked good. Comfy beds.

Overall for the price and area its a great spot. Pier is 5 blocks down the street. Take the free shuttle from this parking lot to the Aquarium and Wharf.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mgm61
Montereydaysinn, Manager at Days Inn Monterey Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2010

Dear Guest:

Let me start by thanking you for for leaving a review regarding your recent stay at our property.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We hope to see you again.

Again, thanks for taking the time and have a great day!

Hotel Management

Reviewed August 10, 2010

We arrived at around 3:30, which is half an hour after check-in time. After checking in, we went to our room and noticed that the door was ajar. Apparently the staff hadn't finished cleaning the room yet. The bed was made but there were no towels in the bathroom. We called the front desk and they sent someone to give us towels.

The room overall looked like it hadn't been maintained in a long time. It was a smoking room, so that may be why. There was some wood paneling that was broken, and the walls were yellowish and dirty looking. There were also some cigarette hole burns in the bed comforter.

When I went into the bathroom I noticed that the corners and floor were dirty. Also, the bathroom door would not close all the way. Toilet paper was the cheap rough kind. Also, the toilet was a water saver and got clogged. The bathroom sink also had a slow running drain.

The television did have a lot of channels, but It's advertised that all of the rooms have HBO, and ours didn't. Also, we looked at the guest guide in the room to see if there was anything we might like to do in the area, and found that it was outdated all the way back to 2005.

We had planned to go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and on the Days Inn website I reserved the room on, it said that aquarium tickets could be purchased at the front desk, so we didn't bother to buy them from the Monterey Aquarium website. When I asked about the tickets, the man at the front desk said they don't sell them there, so we ended up having to wait in line to purchase tickets, which was a bit of a wait considering how many people were there that day.

There wasn't a DO NOT DISTURB door tag to put on the door, and we were awoken by knocking at 9:00a.m. from the maid who was there to clean our room, and would have just walked in had we not put the top lock on the door. We had been up very late the night before and were still asleep. The maid did apologize, but there should have been a DO NOT DISTURB tag for that reason. We were on a mini vacation and had planned on sleeping in.

The pluses to this hotel is that the location was convenient, and the price was reasonable. The room had a good-working refrigerator and microwave. Staff were nice and polite.

Wasn't a terrible experience, but I would not want to stay at the downtown Days Inn in Monterey again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2010

We took a group of college students to Monterey for a conference. The staff was great and ver accomodating. The location is perfect for walking downtown. The rooms were clean and large.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 10, 2010

Great Place, nice location and beautiful stay for my dollar.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple