“nice hotel near town centre” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Days Inn Monterey Downtown

Days Inn Monterey Downtown
Ranked #24 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
uk
“nice hotel near town centre”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

check in was very efficient and pleasant staff, room was in second building accross the road.

rooms were very spacious, clean and tidy. lift available to all floors. area was very quite but within walking distance of main street.

breakfast area very spacious and usual breakfast available.

all staff very pleasant and well kept hotel, wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MontereyDaysInn, Manager at Days Inn Monterey Downtown, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are so pleased to hear about your positive experience during your stay at the Monterey Downtown Days Inn. I will share your thoughts with our staff as they are always eager to hear how each guest experience was during there stay. I am particularly pleased to hear your thoughts as I can see that you are well traveled by the 122 Review contributions and Reviews in 60 cities! As many guests have mentioned we were happy to hear you enjoyed our large guest rooms and central location which is walking distance to downtown Monterey and Fisherman's Wharf. We look forward to you next visit to Monterey.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

This hotel was a "last minute" itinerary change for us. After a very long day on the road, we just wanted to check in and get to our room. We arrived at 6:30pm, and there was no one at the desk. My traveling companion really needed a restroom. After 15 minutes, I noticed a remote door bell at the desk. I pushed it and heard nothing, so I pushed it again. Within seconds, a man (I think the owner, Mr. Patel) came from a side door with a very sour look on his face. Me, all smiles, said, "Hi! Looking to check in please." He walked towards me and proceeded to scold me for pushing the bell "five times." I said, "Sorry, but I didn't hear a ring, so I didn't think I pushed it hard enough." He again informed me that five times was not necessary, and he was taking care of other guests (I only pushed it twice). Interesting...because we had been waiting 15 minutes or more, but when I pushed the button, he was there in seconds. Hmmm. My Mother needed a restroom immediately, so I interrupted him and stated my name and I needed to check in very quickly please. He was angered by my abruptness and prolonged my Mother's need for assistance. "Push the bell once, and you will get service, don't push it five times," he continued to say. Now I'm irritated. The gentleman continued to explain to me how I was wrong and rude, instead of helping me. When in fact, HE was the one that was wrong and rude. I am a General Manager at a hotel in Michigan, and to me and my staff, customer service is #1. This gentleman was beyond unprofessional, and apparently does not need YOU, the customer, to stay in business. So I say, don't give it to him! His behaviour aside, I will say, for an older property, this hotel was surprisingly clean. A little older and run down, but spotless for the obvious age of the facility. Much credit is to be given to his housekeeping staff. As a General Manager, I look for detail. No hairs in the bathroom, no dust on the tops of the picture frames...very clean. This is our fifth night on vacation, and I intended to do all of these tripadvisor comments upon our return, however, this gentleman's rudeness and unprofessionalism deems a comment now, as I don't think he really wants you here as a valued guest...just an inconvenience that pays him.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jason P
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Right on the edge of the old historic town, with a Denny’s less than 3 minutes walk away. We stayed in the annex to the motel- which is across a quiet road. Oddly you could walk from the parking lot to the first floor directly (or any of the others), so even though we were on the first floor – we had to get the lift from the car park! The room was a typical old style American motel, huge, loads of space, but slightly dated furnishings. Most importantly the bed was large and comfy. Breakfast was basic but fine – tea/coffee and pasties with some basic cereals. We skipped it on our last day and headed for a massive (and expensive) breakfast in Carmel instead.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your most recent stay at the Monterey Downtown Days Inn. We appreciate your business and taking the time to share with us your experience. We were happy to hear that you enjoyed our rooms in our Annex building as they provide some added space for our guests. Although the architechture of our hotel is common to our area and all hotels match our design due the simular times they were built we understand it is different than other areas of the US. We feel that Monterey is very unique and the hotels in the area are different than the cookie cutter designs that exist today. We hope you enjoyed your time and Monterey and look forward to your return
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed in a Kingroom with Ocean view in a separate building across the street. It was a really huge room with 4 big windows facing the ocean. There are some low buildings in front, but you really can see the Ocean!! We had room # 333 at the top of the building, so nobody above you and it was very quit. The interior is'nt that new any more, but very clean. The room has a TV, fridge, coffee/tea, microwave and hairdryer The king bed sleeps very good. The motel is in walking distance from the centre and Fisherman's Wharf. The check-inn was very quick and professional and breakfast was simple. It's a very good deal for the price!

Room Tip: Room 333 is a nice quit room with oceanview.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MontereyDaysInn, Manager at Days Inn Monterey Downtown, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Guest

I am so pleased that you were able to stay with us during your recent trip up the beautiful coast of northern Califnornia. I see that you enjoyed the comforts of our Ocean View rooms which are very popular among travelers who visit our hotel. We appreciate the all the compliments in regard to our guestrooms and I will share your appreciation with our staff as they take much pride in there work to provide each guest with the best possible experience. We are constantly working to improve all aspects of our business and appreciate your all of your suggestions. Thank you for your business.
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Over the years I have found that the Days Inn chain has gone downhill in quality, service, etc. After reading the numerous positive reviews about The Days Inn Monterey Downtown, I decided to give it a chance. I'm glad I did. The location was perfect; near the Wharf, historic Monterey, near the Monterey Trail, 5 minute walk to Peet's Coffee and Trader Joes, etc. I stayed in the Ocean View building and was able to leave the windows open and hear the seals in the morning. Upon my arrival, Sam was most accomodating and friendly. He also let me know about the weekly market held down the street in the evening. This was a perfect location for everything I could want. The room was clean upon arrival and housekeeping did a wonderful job throughout the week. The refrigerator was handy to store yogurt and drinks. I hope to return to Monterey in the next few years, and as long as Sam is still there, I will most definitely be laying my head down at The Days Inn. Thank you for a stress free week!! (inadvertenly check off the swimming pool in rating---I have no idea how it was, didn't use it (if there is one)

Room Tip: I highly recommend the ocean view building. While it's not a full view, you definitely get a tas...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing you experience while on vacation in Monterey. We are so delighted that you chose our hotel and provided us the oppurtunity to take care of your lodging needs. As you mentioned our hotel is very centrally located and walking distance to most of the major attractions in Monterey. I appreciate you pointing out the efforts of our manager, Sam as he works so hard to make each guest stay comfortable and "stress free" as you mentioned. I will make sure to share your comments with Sam as he takes tremendous pride in his customer service. We hope you do return in the next few years and visit Sam and the Days Inn!
Stockton, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 3 days and loved it. The room was very clean, linens on the bed were great, bathroom linens a little rough. The view was beautiful and with the windows open a little at night we could hear the sea lions barking. We will definately go back next year. If the bay window was cleaned a little the whole room would have been perfect.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel for your recent stay at the Monterey Downtown Days Inn. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Ocean View rooms as it is a favorite among many of our guests. I was also pleased to hear your comments about our room cleanliness as our housekeeping staff work very hard in assuring high guest satisfaction and a comfortable stay. We look forward to your next visit to our hotel and the Monterey Peninsula.