“"You can't have it all - worth the trade-offs"”
Review of Monterey Hotel

Monterey Hotel
Ranked #19 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I read TripAdvisor reviews before reserving my 1 night stay at this charmer. The draw was it's location and history. With that location - right in the middle of the historic Monterey downtown - it shouldn't be a surprise that there is noise from traffic and the restaurants along Alvarado Street. It's less than a 5 minute walk to Fisherman's Wharf so yes, there are seagulls. The surrounding streets have old adobes and historic buildings an easy stroll away. Good cafes and restaurants also on the same block. The place was built in 1904 so it doesn't have the insulation that more bland and modern hotels will have so if that's not ok, this isn't the place for you. In my opinion, it's part of the charm. Knew there was no elevator but asked for a room with a view which meant 3 flights up. So it took a couple of trips with our bags (and the very professional and friendly gal who checked us in asked if we wanted help, so that is available for those who want it). The view was over the rooftops to the bay and hills, which afforded us a spectacular view of a full moonrise over the water. Earplugs are provided. I am a light sleeper, but once the live music at the cafe across the street ended around 10pm on a Sunday night, it was fine.
There is a parking garage up the street just east of Alvarado one block. The gal who checked us in told us if we found a spot on the street Sunday afternoon (which we did) it was fine as long as we moved it before 10am Monday morning. No meters, so free if that timing works for you.
I would return to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

The hotel rooms are small. Nice bathrooms with granite floors. Ceiling fan as there was no A/C.

I had to close window at 2:00AM due to loud talking outside and cigarette smoke entering room.

One reviewer , wngrl must have snored through all the commotion. This hotel is ok for limited stay. The staff, especially Chris was outstanding.

Early morning valet girl was slow getting our car out.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank L B
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

I found the deal on travelzoo. Called the hotel directly and got a very helpful front desk person ( female ) who found me a quiet room (205) away from the noise of the street. She told me it had no view but it was the most quet of the rooms. She was right. Small room with average size bathroom. Nice overhead ceiling fan( as there is no AC!) two big windows to let cool air in with plantation shutters. Walgreens and a cute bar is two doors down. Located in a busy area of town with many restaurants and shops. A few homeless were noted but no panhandlers around the areas.
Incidentally the front desk gentleman went to my High school in Warner Robins Georgia and sent up a bottle of wine for us! If you are in a budget and can find this hotel discounted I would recommend. Wouldn't pay rack rate price however.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My fiancee and i traveled here in late September for two nights in a king room overlooking the main street. We loved the old world charm of the hotel and had a great stay. I had seen a lot of complaints about the noise, but for anyone who has lived in a city before it is quite calm. The staff was very friendly and the complimentary breakfast a great big plus. The hotel is centrally located in the heart of Monterey and everything is an easy walk from the hotel including fishermans wharf, the monterey aquarium, and cannery row. There is also a great farmers market that sets up every week with great food and entertainment. We will definately be back!

Room Tip: There is no elevator, but the higher up you are the better the bay view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I booked this hotel as I was having difficulty finding somewhere in the Carmel/Monterey area for the weekend and I needed two rooms [didn't realise that the jazz festival was on!]
The hotel is old and quaint, situated on the main street [Alvarado Street] - it is beautifully clean, the rooms are in need of a little updating but fine, the staff were very friendly and helpful BUT....
if you stay here do not under any circumstances allow them to give you a room which faces the street! The noise levels at night are horrendous - the earplugs provided on the bedside table are a big clue - things didn't quiet down until 3am even with earplugs!
the complimentary continental breakfast provided is good but I'm afraid we won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: insist on a room at the back!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Lovely Victorian in Downtown Monterey
This hotel is Located in downtown "Old Monterey" I loved it!! The staff was very attentive and our room was lovely... I personally look for unique hotels and this one was perfect. I took my two daughters on a college tour. They thought that that the hotel was great... Plus they found out the hotel was suppose to be haunted which made them want to explore it more... Made it a fun adventure! You can also hear the seagulls which I really enjoyed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Linda V
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I loved this hotel. I read all the recommendations and was a bit afraid because of the remarks regarding the noise, but decided to go with my intuition and book it anyways. And.... I am so happy I did. I loved it!!! The hotel is lovely, warm, cozy and the staff is great!!! Everything is on walking distance, so that was perfect.

Yes it is an older hotel, but that is the charm. It has a European look & feel and it feels very warm and welcoming (so if you like modern, you should not come here) But although the looks are a bit Victorian age - it reminded me of the older (and good!) hotels in Britain - the room I stayed in was in perfect condition with modern sheets on the bed and all the stuff I needed. It was not a big room, but I did not mind at all. I would recommend this hotel to everyone!! And if you look at the hotel, the location and the price it is not expensive at all.

I went alone and did not mind at all. Although next time I will take my boyfriend, because this is also the perfect hotel for a romantic get away.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo