“Cozy and charming.”

Monterey Hotel
Ranked #18 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
“Cozy and charming.”
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is in the heart of downtown and a 1/2 block from the conference center. Walking distance to the beach and bike path. Gorgeous! Restaurants all around and lots of coffee shops. Staff is very friendly and the rooms are quaint and comfortable. The one thing I would change are pillows. The pillows were super small and flat. Marble floor in the bathroom is very nice.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

In the midst of Monterey's great bars and restaurants with the free tram to Cannery Row and the Aquarium right outside the door. We received gifts for our wedding anniversary which was a nice, unexpected gesture. Staff were very helpful and good fun. Breakfast was fine and enough to start the day. The elevator still not working but staff readily available to help with bags. It made a pleasant change from ultra-modern, soulless hotels which are the same all over the world. We were recommended this hotel by an American friend, otherwise we may never have found it. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The higher up, the better the views.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Calexico, CA
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Found the hotel to be in a nice convient location, just a short walk from Old Fishermans wharf and Cannary Row! The positives are nice historic touches and architectual details with high ceilings and beautiful bay windows with shutters. The minuses are just a little bit of street noise and wished the pillows were a little more comfortable. Overall, i enjoyed my stay and would recommend it in lovely Monterey!

Santa Rosa, California, United States
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My wife and I went here for our honeymoon. We paid for a regular queen room because that's all we could afford, but the hotel was nice enough to upgrade us to a Fireplace Suite at no extra cost! They even sent us a nice bottle of champagne. Their staff was extremely helpful and brought us everything we needed. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone! It does not deserve the poor reviews others have given it. It is an OLD building. Expecting luxuries like A/C and an elevator is asinine, and as for the noise, there are noisy seagulls EVERYWHERE in Monterey and places close to water. The hotel itself is fantastic and worth every minute I spent there!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Overall: The location is ideal to the convention center (within a block or so – walking distance). But it’s a very old hotel, without a working elevator when I was there, and no working AC in the rooms (staying there in early August). I had to leave my window open to get some circulation through the room, and the seagulls, sea lions, and seals all had conversations throughout the night. OMG, so annoying but impossible to close the window unless I wanted to sleep in 80 degree plus heat! The front desk did offer to send to me an oscillating fan, but I declined. Probably good to get one if you are in the area during the summer, but I’m guessing that the rest of year really you don’t need A/C. Needless to say, not the best sleep. That is one of the main reasons I rated this as "Poor" and unsure if I would pick this place for another business trip!

I’m glad I read about parking because it was down the street and you need to move your car every 24 hours (or at least remember to buy another ticket if you’re staying there without moving your car). But as I was here for a convention, it was only a minor inconvenience.

There was a neat farmer’s market that was in the middle of the week with the market in front of the hotel. That provided a nice flavor of Monterey.

Check in: No issues in checking in, minus the stair climb to my floor. What I wuss I am – I should be praising the incorporated exercise, but I wasn’t excited to have a mini workout after a 1.5 hour drive.

Rates: Paid $149 per night as part of the conference deal. No resort fee.

Room: Stayed in 416, which was at top of the building. Climbing those stairs is tough with luggage! It’s an extremely small room, the desk to do work was not ideal for hours of working at a computer (a standard wooden desk with a small chair) and not many outlets to plug in my many devices. I also got the feeling that the room was old and dirty, not a specific example I can point to, but I think because it was old and cramped it just gave off the feeling of dirtiness.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Driggs, Idaho
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Hotel was clean and the staff was very helpful but on the second floor above the street it did get a bit loud. We were provided with headphones but it didn't completely fix the problem. It is in a great location and I would definitely recommend staying here as long as you are a deep sleeper.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Monterey County, California
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The location is good & convenient in downtown Monterey & walking distance to restaurants, bars and Fisherman's Wharf. The staff is friendly but the hotel itself needs a lot of work. The King room beds barely fit in the room which I am sure were originally built for much smaller beds. The paint was also peeling on the bathroom cupboards and the bathtub could have used some grout. Since its an historical hotel there is no elevator, you can hear your neighbors walking around in the room above, and being that its Monterey there is also no A/C so the small rooms get stuffy. There was also some sort of generator that kept going on and off all night...not exactly conducive for a restful nights sleep.

The hotel offers a Continental breakfast in the morning which is a nice touch, however this could be improved as it was pretty basic at best, perhaps add options for those with lactose allergies or gluten free restrictions. More healthy options would have been nice and more fruit.

Overall not bad for 1-2 nights but do not plan on longer.