“Good budget motel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Edinburgh
“Good budget motel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Good location situated just off Route 1 on way into Monterey - about 5 minutes from the Bay area.. The room was clean and modern with fridge, coffee making facilities and microwave. Big flat screen TV and the bed was very comfortable.

Water pressure a bit low at the hand basin. We were charged twice which we noticed when we returned home, but this was refunded without any problems. For a comfortable, clean budget accommodation, this is excellent value.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Finnish first
Taipei
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

This is the worst hotel I have seen. The service was terrible. First of all there was never anyone at the front desk until we rang the bell. Secondly we were over-charged by their mistake even though they had the correct record of our reservation. The person was either totally absent-minded or trying to trick us. Thirdly the refrigerator in the room did not work at all. When we called for help, the lady answering our call refused to do anything to help. What was even worse was her attitude. She did not care and was rude. In the next morning when we complained about the refrigerator again, she insisted that we did not know how to use it, totally ignoring what we said about why we were sure that it did not work. (If she really believed that we did not know how to use it, she could have showed it to us the day before.) In addition, the wifi signal was very weak and extremely slow. We had to go to a particular corner in the room to get any signal. When we mentioned this problem to the lady at the front desk, she just said OK, like it was none of her business. There were many other minor problems. For instance the towels in our room were not in complete sets and folded in a sloppy way. The mirror in the restroom looked like it could fall off any minute. We must have tried over 50 hotels/motels in the past and this is the worst.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Pei-Ming

Travelers are raving about these Monterey hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

My husband and I stayed here three nights and loved it. Our room was very nice and comfortable, recently remodeled with beautiful flooring and a huge flat screen T.V. My favorite part of our stay, however, was the heated pool. Super clean and nice and we spent most of our time there. :) The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The only cons were the water pressure from the bathroom sink was pretty weak and the wifi signal was not very strong. But that didn't bother me much because I don't go on vacations or weekend getaways just to be glued to the internet the entire time. We will definitely stay here again! Great hotel for the price.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susannicorn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

My wife and I stayed 3 nights here. The only criticisms I have are, the water pressure in the bathroom sink was pretty weak and the wifi was too. It didn't matter too much as the water pressure in the shower/bath was great and I had my phone for any really important internet related needs.
Everything was clean and looked nice. Friendly service. Great heated pool. Maybe I'm just easier to please but it's a great hotel for a great price and I'd gladly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aaron s
Brentwood, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Overall this hotel was okay, I was expecting a lot more because of all of the great reviews. As far as hotel quality goes, I would rate this as a two star. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros:
Relatively clean
Nice bed linens
Beds and pillows were comfortable
Heated Pool
Great location
Quiet at night

Cons:
Extremely small room, there was only room for a small port-a-crib after we scooted one of the beds over.
Pergo flooring, I can understand why some people would like it, but I was not a fan
Moldy baseboard in bathroom
No bathtub, this was a big one for me because I have small children who do not like taking showers
No Disney channel on tv
In a room with two queen beds and 4 people, they only gave us three towels. We asked for more and he said he would bring them by in 10-15 minutes, but he never came.
Very strong smell of Indian food every night
An older gentleman, part of the family who runs the hotel and lives there I assume, was right outside our room smoking every time we pulled up. He also always stared at us, which was a little creepy. We accidentally left our window open one day and were not happy to come back and see him smoking right in front of our open window.

Overall, I was not very comfortable here. I have gotten nicer hotels that I have been happier with with "name your own price" on priceline. I felt this hotel was not very family friendly. Honestly I am surprised by all of the great reviews after staying here, we will not be back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Cammie M
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

We used the reviews to make our decision on which place to stay while in Monterey. We were glad we stayed here. Can't say more than what has already been said but for a nice clean room that's been totally remodeled at a great price this is the place.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert F
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Great value, clean and comfortable. Chopstix Vietnamese restaurant next door is very good as well!
Prepaid this and it exceeded our expectations, we just needed abed for the night prior to visiting Big Sur and Pacific Coast Highway.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple