“rentals are in great shape and easy to rent from”

Adventures by the Sea
Ranked #13 of 41 Tours in Monterey
More attraction details
Owner description: We have 5 bike, kayak, and SUP rental locations on the Monterey Peninsula. We also offer daily Kayak Tours at 10:00AM and 2:00PM daily. We have bikes for all ability levels: have high-end carbon fiber road bikes, mountain bikes, cruisers, hybrid, and new to our rental fleet Pedego Electric Bikes.
Texas
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“rentals are in great shape and easy to rent from”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and did the land and sea package one day ( kayak in the morning, bike in the afternoon). The staff were helpful and the kayaks were in great shape. The bikes came with locks so we could stop and eat/take photos, etc and not worry about the bikes. The bikes were a good quality. My only reserve was the person setting up the kayaks was late, and it would have been nice to have them ready to go when the shop opened. We had to wait 30 minutes watching him set up the kayaks for the group of renters. ( this wasn't a tour...we all individually rented...busy morning I guess). Really liked that the staff pointed out to keep a distance from the sea life for their safety ( not that all listened to this). Nice to see a company making a living off of the ocean still cares about the safety and conservation of the wildlife.
We will rent from them again.

Visited October 2013

Tuolumne City, California, United States
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“best experience easiest rental”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

we rented Pedego Electric Bikes and the gang at Adventures b y the Sea made our day more enjoyable then ever by being so helpful, the instructions about the bikes were easy to understand and the bikes were easy to use, I will recommend to everyone I know to come here and rent from the gang at Adventures by the Sea. They have an awesome selection of Bikes, Kayaks, Paddle Boards, and tours of the miles and miles of bike trails.

Visited September 2013
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Wow, what an adventure! Kayaking Monterey...”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had a great kayak trip along Monterey's Cannery row. It was led by Jan (?), a very energetic woman, who could've lapped me five times, in her kayak, and she was 1.5 times my age! She knew a lot about the history of the area, kayaking, and sea life in general. I was a little surprised how difficult it was to kayak in the "open water". I had kayaked before and am very fit, but was not really prepared for the winds and the waves. It was quite a workout for the first hour, when we were against the wind (there was a north wind). I did get a little queazy on the way back, because the waves were probably 3-4 ft tall, and I get motion sickness easily.
We saw a TON of otters, seals, and sea lions. They were all around our boats, and playing all around us! It was an amazing experience. Not really that easy to take pics as the kayaks are pretty wobbly (sit on top of them). We wore these wet-suit outfits (not like a scuba diver, more like a rain-suit), but I did get some water down my pants. I should've pulled my drawstring tighter. The water was cool, but not frigid. It was more the wind that was cool. We were on teh 2pm trip, and I was surprised that I was cold when I got back. It was overcast that day, as well. Highly recommend this, if you don't get sea-sick easily, and are in good shape.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Erinrsanta
Oxford
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Did the job, lots of fun!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We rented kayaks from the Lovers' Point outpost of this franchise (where it's easier to park), and paddled out around the bay and through the kelp to watch the sea otters. $30 per day, per person includes lifejackets and splash tops if required; the guy renting the kayaks pulled them down to the water and launched them, and gave useful tips about where to go and where to avoid. You can leave shoes and personal items on open shelves in the rental shack, but there are no lockers. Availability was pretty good and mid-morning it wasn't necessary to book. This is a great way to spend time in Monterey; the only small downside was that it would have been good to be able to do hire for just a couple of hours for a slightly smaller fee. It's worth bearing in mind that early on it can be a bit chilly so the splash tops are great, and later on in full sun it's worth covering up too.

Visited August 2013
Hayward, California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Awesome time on the water!”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My wife and I decided to spend the afternoon paddling the Pacific with a kayak rental at Adventures By The Sea and we couldn't have been more pleased! From the check-in process to the assistance from the staff, it was a great experience.

Loved having the freedom of a kayak rental and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. Lots of sea life to see and a relaxing way to burn some calories under the sun. This was actually my second time using ABTS and we will definitely be back!

Thanks guys.

Pros:
-Very affordable. $30 for 6 hours PLUS all the equipment you need to stay dry and warm
-Great location in Cannery Row
-Friendly and patient staff

Cons
-Parking can be difficult to find but that is true for all of Cannery Row. Find a metered spot. Way less expensive than the $15 parking garage.

Visited August 2013