“Lovely But Not Perfect”
Review of Restaurant 1833

Restaurant 1833
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant 1833 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #55 of 306 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Polk Street
Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

The atmosphere of this restaurant is amazing. Steeped in history, the historic location has been only enhanced with a beautiful design and other details. The menu is perfect "bistro" with some dishes a great success and others just "good". The bacon cheddar biscuits with a maple chile butter were mind boggling while the pork loin a bit tough and bland. The main disappointment was the service. We waited over 40 minutes (I am not exaggerating) between salads and entrees, even finishing our bottle of wine before they came. Even worse, the waiter never came by to let us know of the status. So, the meal bargain high with the ambiance and appetizers, then ever so so slowly went downhill from there. It could have been perfect.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

We loved our dinner at 1833. We had the best table in the house. Food and service was excellent. We would definitely return.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

We brought a business group to Restaurant 1833 and some had a good experience and some did not. It began for for me when I spotted the Charred Octopus on the web site menu and spent the day looking forward to it. When we got to the restaurant, our server said that the web site was out of date and they no longer offered octopus. I switched gears and had the white corn soup, which was tasty. Unfortunately, however, the local sea bass entree was dry and tasteless, although accompanied by a flavorful mixture of vegetables. We ordered the four sides to share (mac & cheese, roasted cauliflower, potatoes, asparagus) and our server came back later and said that they were out of potatoes (at 7:30 pm). We enjoyed the mac & cheese and roasted cauliflower and should have ordered more of those rather than the additional asparagus that we chose to replace the potatoes. Desert was a disappointment, tasty on top, but cold and tasteless closer to the bottom. The service was knowledgeable and attentive.

1  Thank David M
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I've lived in Monterey two times for work, and on both occasions was excited about the proximity to the water, the excellent pinot noirs from the Carmel Valley, biking in Carmel Valley and Pebble Beach, great runs from the water to the mountains, but never ever the food. Monterey Bay is the epitome of a tourism trap. Bubba Gump Shrimp, fake diners, amazingly bad seafood despite your proximity to the sea, a brew house that doesn't brew, Mexican food primarily consisting of more cheddar cheese.... There are a handful of jewels spread across the town, but for ease I usually chose the taco truck. 1833 is one of the exceptions, being a restaurant worth making a reservation for. Food pricing in this town means nothing thanks to the roll in-and-out weekend crowds from Silicon Valley, honey mooners, and lifetime box checkers attracted by the marine sanctuary. So, you can't judge quality or service based on a price - I tried that and failed on the water front nearly every time. What 1833 offers is character and quality. Fire pits with your drinks, a neatly lit bar, quaint spaces to dine alone with friends, and the good food at fair prices that make you think your job is a little better than it really is. The chef was heavy on the salt several times, once so much I sent a plate back, but that wasn't an issue. I've ordered so many things here, but don't have any favourites. Drinks are done well, but I often stick to the beer or wine, just because that's my thing. I've hosted social events here, business dinners, hung out with friends, and romanced my lady. For all purposes this place was above average. In navigating the sea of Monterey restaurants I've found I would prefer Pizza My Heart over most of what is considered fine dining in this town, but with 1833 I came away satisfied every time.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

If it is one of those nice evenings in Monterey you can't beat the outdoor seating for cocktails and snacks. They have an excellent bar and some unique drinks. If the evening has a chill they do have a number of fire pits going to help take the edge off the cool evening. If you like tequila give the Penicillin No. 2 a try.