“Food of excellent quality in a lovely setting, correctly served but impersonal” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Restaurant 1833

Restaurant 1833
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant 1833 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 297 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Polk Street
Salinas, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

This restaurant has had many past lives, as Gallatin's, Bindels, as a Mexican restaurant (Compadres?), as Stokes Adobe and now as Restaurant 1833. Yes, the building is old, classic in design, and comfortable. Judy and I dined there last week and found it lived up to our expectations in all areas save one...warmth of service...it was correct, timely and totally impersonal. A few smiles and a bit of conversation would have helped. As for the food, chosen from a sophisticated and eclectic menu, the chef has star quality and especially so the sous chef.

New York City, New York
“Amazing food, Poor Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

This is my first visit to Restaurant 1833. I arrived for my 7:30 reservation. Our table was not quite ready, so we ordered drinks outside by the fire pit. We waited 10 minutes for our drinks, but it did not arrive. We were seated and reordered our drinks through our waiter "Jeff"(25ish, slim, short blond hair and mustache). Off the back Jeff was very rude and impatient. We advised him that we did not eat pork. Jeff became irritated and in a rude tone he said, "90% of of our menu has pork." I went down the list, and in a loud condescending tone; so everyone next to us can hear him; he said, "Yes Pork , Yes Pork, Yes Pork." At this point, we were displeased at how we were being treated. Jeff said, "I'll be back" and left our table to attend to another table. 10 minutes later, Jeff arrived back to our table and without consulting us, he said, "OK, your going to have the salmon and she's having the Arctic Char." I was shocked by his unprofessional behavior. I did not go with his suggestion and advise him to speak with the chef, to see if he can accommodate us. Jeff walk away and came back stating that the chef can prepare our meals without pork. Through out the service, Jeff did not ask if we enjoyed our meal(amazing dishes: Arctic Char, lamb shank, Bone Marrow, Sun Dried Biscuits and Tirumisu). The bussers were the ones that were professional and accommodating. When Jeff brought us the bill, he miraculously changed his tune and became Mr.Happy. I left a good tip, because the bussers should not suffer because of Jeff's rudeness.

I've worked in the restaurant industry over the years, both as a wait staff and a line cook and have never treated the customer in the manner that Jeff had treated us.

To Chef Tobias, David Bernahl and Robert Weakley, please retrain Jeff of his duties, so that this unpleasant experience will not repeat itself in the future.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Sacramento, CA
“Unbelievable Ambiance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

This restaurant is located in the historic Stokes Adobe which was built in 1833, hence the name Restaurant 1833. Each room is decorated differently, and there is dining and a bar upstairs as well as downstairs. The lighting is designed to resemble candlelight and the feeling is definitely "old". In fact, I suspect that there even might be some old Californio ghosts lurking about the place!
The wait staff was VERY attentive. At one point I was looking around at the decor and a waiter immediately came over to see if I needed something.
All this said, I would rate the food as just okay. The chef seemed to have a heavy hand with the salt shaker and the menu is limited.
This is a place to go for one-of-a-kind ambiance and atmosphere, not the food.

Dublin, Ireland
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

This highly recommended and well-reviewed bar & restaurant was top of my list when recently in Monterey, an otherwise hideously touristy, one-trick pony sort of town. Thankfully, the establishment did not disappoint. The entrance is true to its origins and many original features have been retained in the bar. Lighting is subtle. I chose to sit at the bar for my meal as I was dining alone and because the bartender was friendly. The comprehensive and original cocktail menu was a revelation and a nod to the building’s former use as a Pharmacy. I chose a Stormy Phosphate; a super-interesting and well-presented drink garnished with candied ginger. For my main I had the Mahi Mahi which was prepared especially for me (dairy-free) with minimum fuss. Delicious, it was accompanied with plain rustic potatoes and I paired it with a glass of reasonable Riesling. One of my better food experiences on Highway 1; highly recommended.

• Visited January 2014
Stateline, Nevada
“ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

We dined here on a Sunday evening which is fried chicken night.

The restaurant was empty in the room we were in but there are a lot of other rooms since this is an old house. The décor is good with a classic Spanish style.

We were seated promptly and our most enthusiastic waiter came by and explained the menu.

Three of us ordered salads along with a mahi mahi dish, spinach ravioli and the fried chicken.

The mahi I had was slightly overcooked but was in a wonderful sauce or broth, if you will. It had excellent flavors and well prepared.

The ravioli were flavorful, maybe a little too salty but good.

The fried chicken was moist and flavorful.

The girls split a small banana cream pie (tart) which they said was good.

Overall it was ok. Not 5 star and not worthy of the price. It is worth a visit maybe on a special occasion to check it out.

• Visited January 2014