“Food was good; service not so timely”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Restaurant 1833

Restaurant 1833
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant 1833 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 298 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Polk Street
Nashville, Tennessee
“Food was good; service not so timely”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

2 1/2 hours and we had not yet received the main course. Food was good, but waiyer disappeared 20-30 minutes between chef's special courses. Don't go unless you have 4-5 hours ro kill. We made a special trip down from Santa Cruz, but regret that drive. Waiter never even checked on us between courses. Waiter just came to the table. When asked what the delay was, he blamed the "new" chef.

“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Found a recommendation online for this whilst on holiday and was not disappointed, actually I was wowed. The place is amazing and the food divine. The starter was something else, I loved it! Would revisit Monterey just to visit here (and Carmel!)

• Visited October 2013
Monterey, California
“Excellence!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

We had a thoroughly superb time here. We were greeted warmly when we entered and the experience just went uphill from there. We spent a few minutes at the bar to experience a couple of fabulous Absinthe cocktails. Jonavon (guessing at how his name is spelled) Was personable and made a tasty drink. We dined in the Governor's room which was lively and fun! Our server was Spencer and they don't make them any better than this gentleman! He had fabulous stories to tell and knew the history of the old Adobe. He made useful recommendations for food choices. And at the end of our meal he served us a wicked flaming absinthe beverage with flair! Honestly, if you are seated in Spencer's area, you're in for a treat. As for the food, absolutely no complaints. We started with the house marinated olives, the bacon cheddar biscuits, and the sun-dried tomato and feta biscuits. My husband had pork loin which came with mashed potatoes and broccolini. I had the grilled eggplant, basil pesto, goat cheese and pickled pepper pizza, it was delicious! I've noted some reviewers mentioned dissatisfaction about portions; we certainly didn't leave hungry and the prices are reasonable. Before we left we spent some time over by the fire pits and found the area to be quite entertaining. We will be back!!

Alturas, California
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

I must quantify this review with my love of three things: great food, history, and books. This place had all three, plus some! Craft drinks in the friendly bar, incredible atmosphere in this historical adobe with low lights and comfortable seating, and the checks come tucked inside an old book! Our food was the best we've had in a while. I had the gnocchi with braised lamb and it was very tasty with super tender lamb and piquillo peppers. My husband had the grilled mahimahi with a saffron chowder. He said it was really good and cleaned this plate. We shared a side of their mac and cheese and it is the closest to my homemade we've ever had.. Maybe better! Everyone from the hostess to the bar staff to our wonderful server, who shared the home's history with us when we asked, were outstanding!

Visited November 2013
Rohnert Park, California
“Top-notch food, drinks, setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

I was incredibly curious about this restaurant, and even with all my research this restaurant still exceeded my expectations. The cocktails menu is so intriguing. Rare to spend this much on a drink, but I had to try 2 -- one was the negroni and another involved mezcal. Both fabulous & positively intoxicating. I was tempted to go with a standard gin & tonic which would have cost less I'm sure, but glad I experimented. YUM. Then the entree. Well, between the time I started looking at the menu and ordering, two entrees got sold out. Went with 3rd choice, New York Strip, and it was the most tender mouth-watering cut ever met my mouth. At first glance I thought it wouldn't satisfy -- it's more like 3 or 4 medium-sized pieces of a NY strip mounded on top of veggies. More than satisfied my taste buds and my hunger. The onions & carrots (I think?) were the perfect delcious companion vegs. Only regret is that I was too full to order dessert, and that menu looked incredible too. Wish I could eat here more often. Tab for 2 including 2 drinks each was $125 before gratuity. Definitely well-spent and worth it for special occasions. The decor and ambience are so lovely. Romantic. Servers were very gracious and patient and attentive.

• Visited November 2013