“Cancellation Policy is bogus and fabricated”

Monterey Bay Travelodge
Ranked #38 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed June 20, 2009

I booked a stay from June 26 to June 29th and tried to cancel by phone on June 20th and was told by the front desk staff that it was too late to cancel my reservation. Because of the Blues Festival, the hotel put into effect a bogus "Two week before you stay date" cancellation policy. This is not true and in conflict with Wyndam Hotel policy which allowed me to cancel up to two days before without any issue. I cancelled online. The hotel didn't get that great of a review and in trying to deal with the human staff, I get a bougs policy. Lesson learned, know your cancellation policies and challenge the staff when something doesn't sound right.

Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank NewYorkVillageGirl

Reviewed June 16, 2009

This hotel was ample for us for 2 nights, but I have to stay the reception staff could have been a little nicer. They weren't horrible, dont get me wrong, they were just a little unwelcoming.

It looks a little daunting from the outside, but once your in the rooms its fine. They are big, with a good size bathroom, plenty of space for us girls!

It was nice to have table and chairs outside the room too to enjoy some sun when we werent out exploring! A good pool, good maid service. All in all a good little hotel. It was just at the side of a main road and not too far from the highway, which if this is what you want then it's perfect for you.

The complimentary breakfast was good too.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2009

Over the past 8 months I have seen a decline in service, morale and over all General Manager Asad lack of concern for customer. He continues to hide in his office, will not say hi or even interact with customer.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
TravelodgeMonterey, General Manager at Monterey Bay Travelodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2009

I do apologize if I have not had a chance to meet you since I'm not at the front desk most of the time, I try to greet every customer, please accept my sincere apology and I hope we will be able to be your host again in near future.

Reviewed April 3, 2009

This is the best deal I've found on my vacation so far. The front desk people were great. I originally booked the cheapest room which had only one bed. The front desk saw that I was there with my mother and asked if I'd like to upgrade to two beds for no additional cost. Who can say no to that?

There was a sushi restaurant next door which had yummy food.

They had a laundry room which was small with only 1 washer and dryer, but it did the trick.

They had WiFi in the room but be sure if you have a Macbook to have another browser besides Safari. For some reason their WiFi doesn't like Safari.

• Stayed: March 2009
Reviewed January 21, 2009

My sister and I took our yearly sister-time getaway in the Monterey/Carmel area. We stayed two nights at the Travelodge In Monterey. Knowing that we wouldn't be spending much time in our room, price was our main issue. I looked for a place that looked decent, had more good reviews than bad and was reasonably priced. The Travelodge fit thos requirements. I was pleasantly surprised to find the place to be very pleasant. The room was clean, the beds pretty comfortable, the water pressure in the shower was awesome (the best I've ever had in a motel/hotel), and the staff, while not overly friendly, did their jobs well. We had rooms on the back side of the motel and it was very quiet. The motel can be hard to find - don't rely on directions from Mapquest or Google maps - but call the hotel directly for directions. All in all, we had a very pleasant stay here and I would recommend this hotel for those on a budget looking for a decent place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2009

I stay in Monterey approximately 25 to 35 weekends a year; and usually have a boat in tow. As such, I look for trailer parking (the more secure the better), and a budget price.

Travelodge Monterey Bay has a large lot with about a dozen double spaces, which satisfies the former, and offers a divers discount, which helps with the latter.

Rooms are clean and spacious, though the TV channel selection is a bit lacking in some regards (Comcast Sportsnet, for example is not carried.) Refrigerator and microwave helps with longer than single-night stays.

Personnel are great; while a couple of employees have been a bit short in the patience department, or have made mistakes in booking, for the most part they are friendly, efficient, and helpful. Erika and Jennifer, in particular, are outgoing, accurate, and friendly.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 27, 2008

This was another hotel that was booked last minute by our travel agent, due to the previous one being cancelled. We arrived early as was going Whale Watching (which was brilliant!). Anyway asked the guy at reception if we could leave our bags, which he did let us but was very very rude. We needed to change has had travelled from San Francisco & wasn't dressed properly for the Whale Watching Trip and we both needed to loo. He refused to let us use a room to change in and told us they didn't have a toilet either that we could use, thanks mate! Anyway we changed in the car down a quiet street, could of been arrested if we'd been caught. We went back later to check in, the room was bog standard nothing special and out of the way from the centre of Monterey, if you stay here you'll need a car to get around.

• Stayed: October 2008