“Don't try to book pet-friendly through hotels.com”

Monterey Bay Travelodge
Ranked #38 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Seems Travelodge does not honor Hotels.com bookings for pet-friendly rooms. I reserved 8 nights at Travelodge. On my arrival they stated they did not have pet-friendly rooms left, and I should contact them and get my money back. Granted, I booked 3+ hours out and if there was a doubt for such a last minute request the 800# should have called and confirmed inventory verbally directly with the hotel. The further slap, is the clerk stating that I needed to call, they wouldn't, and just left me high and dry! A true lack of customer good will.

I suggest better inventory control between 800 number and hotel when reserving the pet-friendly rooms.

I am sorry, I decided to stay 8 nights impromptu on my vacation in Monterey and to spend money at their hotel.

Room Tip: Seems you should present yourself physically to the hotel to reserve a pet-friendly room as we are c...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
TravelodgeMonterey, Manager at Monterey Bay Travelodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Thank you for your review. I would like to sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered while at our hotel. I can only imagine how frustrated you must have been. We do our best to keep open lines of communication with our travel partners, and I am so sorry our miscommunication ended as an inconvenience to you. I promise you nothing is more valuable to us than your comfort. I am truly sorry we made you feel unwelcome. I have spoken to my staff on the matter, and they assure me it will not happen again. Please give me a call at the hotel. If you will let me, I would like to make it up to you. Let us prove to you our dedication to your comfort. I will personally make sure you are completely satisfied with your stay. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Your input is greatly appreciated, and your concerns have been heard. Please let me know what I can do for you.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Travelodge Monterey was worth the money. The whole facility is a no smoking facility and that was important. There was a smoky smell in the room which we reported to the Asst. Manager, Erika Hess. She had housecleaning take care of it while we were out tooling around Monterey. When we got back the room was smoke free. The beds were comfortable. Not more we could ask for. The airport is close by, but the airplanes flying over are few and far between, and they're the prop driven types, not jets. The noise was unobtrusive. The look of the room is a bit dated, but still very comfortable. Check in and check out were a breeze. Parking was good. The only real problem was other guests not adhering to the no smoking policy and smoking right outside their rooms.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Thank you for your feedback! I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sincerely sorry upon arrival your room smelled like smoke. We do our very best to maintain a smoke free environment for our guests, so I am sorry for the inconvenience. I am glad to hear Erika was able to take care of the problem for you, and thank you for bringing it to our attention. I have asked my staff to keep a more vigilant eye on the conditions of the rooms. Your input is greatly appreciated! We hope you will stay with us again soon, and if you do, please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed April 1, 2014

I was a little disappointed with this hotel. I didn’t expect much, as it was cheap and is a Travelodge, but this place is quite rundown.

It’s situated on a main road, but there isn’t much noise so that’s not too bad. It is quite a large Travelodge, and parking is available out front or round the back, which is good if you’re security conscious.

The hallways are quite dark and dingy and could do with new carpet. The room itself was very large, with a queen-sized bed, microwave, fridge, tea and coffee facilties, flat screen TV (HBO!) free wifi and balcony. The balcony was quite dirty (looked like soot and ash, probably from the road and smokers having a sneaky cigarette). The ensuite was shower only, and it was a bit odd as it was all enclosed, like showering inside a tiled wardrobe. It looked a little dated and worn out.

There was a pool that did look clean, but was overlooked by loads of rooms so I would have felt self-conscious using it.

There was breakfast which was in a large uninviting room, and consisted of toast, juices, fruit, cereals and hard boiled eggs.

My biggest concern was that I was bitten quite badly by bedbugs. This was bad enough, but when I went to check out and inform reception, the receptionist was quit defensive and disbelieving. I was very polite, I was not seeking a refund, and was more giving them information than complaining (bed bugs happen, it’s a fact of life even in the cleanest of hotels, so I’m fairly laid back about it), but she was incredulous. Thankfully I was bitten on my legs (rather than a more private place), and I showed her the evidence of all my bites. She then promptly rang housekeeping and got them to check the room. However, she did not really apologise for my inconvenience or discomfort, which I thought was the least she could do. As I said, I wasn’t after any kind of refund, but I didn’t expect to have to deliver evidence in order to be believed and a ‘sorry’ would have been nice.

The location is ok for Monterey – you couldn’t really walk to anywhere interesting though. It’s best to drive (about 7mins) to Cannery Row. There is not much near the hotel, apart from other motels and a Denny’s. There is a Chinese restaurant opposite and we got take-away from there. Very nice food, and I would recommend.

Overall, If it had a little tidy-up, it wouldn’t be bad for a one-night stop off, but I was made to feel a little like I was an inconvenience, so I would not return. There are plenty of competitors along that stretch of road, so I’d probably take my chances with them.

Room Tip: Chose a different motel on this road, there's loads to choose from.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
TravelodgeMonterey, Manager at Monterey Bay Travelodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to start by apologizing for making you feel unwelcome or an inconvenience in any way. Absolutely nothing is more important to us than our guests, and I am sincerely sorry we failed to prove that to you. I have spoken to my staff about the misunderstanding, and they have asked me to apologize on their behalf. We are at your serve. As for the bed bugs, my housekeeping staff assures me there were no signs of bed bugs, but I am sincerely sorry for any experience of discomfort that may have arouse during your stay here. Thank you very much for bringing it to our attention. I apologize my if my staff seemed unconcerned or put off. It absolutely will not happen again. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. We are in the process of a major update of our property, so we hope you will stay with us again soon. Please let us prove to you our dedication to your comfort. I will personal make sure your stay with us is a good one. Thank you again for your feedback. Your input will help us to improve the stay of many. Once again, my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
TravelodgeMonterey, Manager at Monterey Bay Travelodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Reviewed March 29, 2014

I have stayed in all the major chain hotels. I needed a quick place to stay for a golf trip. This hotel was clean, friendly, and to be honest, one of the most comfortable beds ive slept on. Is it a Hyatt or Ritz, no, but its in a great location and if you need a place to rest your head, this is it..you are near the Monterey airport and the last plane comes in at ten, usually landing away from the hotel...

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Thank you for your review. It brings me great pleasure to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us and others. Nothing is more important to us than your comfort, so I am happy to hear you left us satisfied. If there are any changes you think would improve our hotel, please let me know. We are currently updating all the rooms, so we would like to hear what you think! We hope you will stay with us again soon, and please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Thank you again for your positive feedback! It is greatly appreciated.