“California's Constitution was signed here” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Colton Hall Museum

Colton Hall Museum
Ranked #27 of 101 things to do in Monterey
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1849 to serve as a public school and town meeting hall, this historic building is now a museum open for public touring.
Monterey, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“California's Constitution was signed here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is where California's Constitution was signed way back in 1849. A very nice stop along the historic trail with a museum and a docent present most days--so you can ask all kinds of questions. There's the old jail behind it, a beautiful green lawn park in front of it, and grizzly bear sculptures, too.

Visited January 2013

Madera, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“A nice piece of history”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Took our son to the Museum since he studied California History in school this year and will be studying the states next year. Wanted him to see where the California Constitution was actually written and signed. The literature provided was very helpful. We also went to the jail (which my husband enjoyed, but our son did not like at all! I was fascinated by the small blurbs posted at the far end of the jail hall primarily about vigilante justice.) The docent was nice, but initially stayed in her office and listened to me reading the literature to my son. She finally offered us some additional information and tried to get our son interested. If you go be aware that the museum is on the second floor so you have to go up the stairs. The Friendly Plaza on the corner was nice too. Parking in the general area was free on the street if you stayed less than 1 hour. We did the tour in less than that time and could have gone across the street to more historical sites, but there was a party having photos taken so we didn't want to interfere.

Visited July 2012
Monterey, California
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Valuable History”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

Although California History is a bit later than the history of the rest of the country, Monterey was California's first Capitol. Colton Hall was the site of California's first State Constitutional Convention. If you love history, you must visit.

Monterey
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Unexpected treasure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

I got there almost by mistake. I was looking for something to do and I started reading signs on the road...and in few minutes I found myself super curious of Monterey's History. On the path in front of the building there are several important events that caracterized Monterey and California History, but when you get upstairs in the building it seems to go back right to the day when the californian constitution was written and signed.

Very friendly th woman that was working there,she invited us to an event ... beautiful.
Listening Mexican Music in that same building, only under the light of candles...like hundred years ago.

Monterey is not only Cannery Row and Fisherman Warf...not anymore since I discovered this place and the history of this town

Visited March 2012
Long Beach, California
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Interesting bit of California history”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

I stopped through here while walking on the Path of Monterey History Tour. What a very nice surprise to learn that this was where the California constitution was written and signed.

Visited March 2012