“Pleasant Place, Good Location”
Review of Paluca Trattoria

Paluca Trattoria
Ranked #104 of 304 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: This is a place to come for the view and stay for the mouth-watering food, boutique wines, craft beer & casual atmosphere. A place where you’ll find an Italian-inspired menu alongside our famous fish & chips, chowder & fresh seafood. A perfect place for a relaxed private party, rehearsal dinner, birthday celebration or company dinner. A place featuring locally sourced produce, wines, bread and seafood. This is our little slice of heaven we want to share with you…
CA
“Pleasant Place, Good Location”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

The Paluca Trattoria is a tiny little restaurant at the beginning of Fisherman's Wharf. We were a fairly large group and the place is small, but with some rearranging of tables they were able to accommodate us immediately. We all found our food to be pretty good. My husband and I had the Montery Calamari, which was good, but if we go back I think I'll opt for a pasta dish next time. Others in our group were quite pleased with theirs. The service was prompt and pleasant, although we were so busy talking that we might not have noticed if it wasn't. Many of us hadn't seen one another for quite a while and had a lot of catching up to do!

We were a little leery of trying a place on the wharf, as we so often find that touristy places can rely on the power of numbers and don't always serve the best food. I was pleasantly surprised by Paluca Trattoria and, although I wouldn't make a special trip to dine there, I would consider returning if we were staying in a nearby hotel.

• Visited June 2012

Cayucos, CA
“Okay Italian”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

We came for Mother's Day weekend. We stayed at at hotel within walking distance of Old Fisherman's Wharf. I walked the entire wharf looking for a place to bring my family for dinner. I was impressed by the family feel of this place. When we came, we were immediately seated. There was a family outside, finishing their meal, and us. A large group then came in. Our meal was delayed as crab cakes were prepared instead of crab ravioli. Both my husband and I ordered the special, crab raviolis. His plate came with 6 ravioli and mine came with 9. I find this odd. The food was delicious, but service was lacking.

I am ranking it poor instead of average as I believe they could do better. Our server was polite, but overall I was not impressed. Given all the choices to eat on the Wharf, I think they could do better to make it an all over positive experience.

• Visited May 2012
Carmel, CA
“Lots of potential, but . . .”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We ate here last Friday evening. We had a 7:15 PM reservation, and found that we were one of two filled tables at the place. To be fair, they had a table of 16 reserved (it is a pretty small place) and the party canceled at the last minute. This place has a lot of potential to be a really good Monterey restaurant, but they need to pay attention to some of the smaller details to get there. We ordered the pasta with cowboy sausage and the pasta pomodoro. The entrees were both quite good, and you can order the type of pasta you want. I got the linguini pasta for the dish with the cowboy sausage, and it was perfectly prepared, with nicely sauteed onions and bell peppers, and just the right amount of tomato sauce (not swimming in sauce - delightful). The areas where they really need to focus seem to be on service. Our waitress was a cute young (probably) college girl, who was very nice, but was not particularly knowledgeable about the job. We had to ask for some bread and glasses of water. The bread, which in our mind can really make the difference between an average restaurant and a really great one, unfortunately, was very average, and was not offered with oil & balsamic - only pats of very cold, hard, butter. Oh, for some high-quality, crusty italian bread with dinner. The wines by the glass menu was pretty limited, but reasonably priced, and both the chardonnay and the pinot noir were drinkable. The owner could do a few things to spruce up the decor as well, and turn what appears to be a tourist trap sort of place, into a really cute little italian trattoria. If you want to go just for the entrees and don't care about the rest, you will really enjoy this place. If you are going for the overall dining experience, it still leaves a bit to be desired.

• Visited April 2012
“quiet perfection”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

we discovered this place unexpectedly while walking the wharf and spontaneously deciding to have dinner. The location is convenient and quiet while allowing a lovely vista of the area. Outdoor seating but protected from the wind was a very nice touch. Prices were reasonable, and the food was superbly cooked. Service was outstanding and attentive without being intrusive. You have to try to prawns appetizer and the tiramasu was freshly made from scratch, scrumptious and full flavored. I highly recommend this spot and will keep it in mind for my future visits to Monterey.

Visited April 2012
“Very average pub like food”
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Very average pub like food. Nothing special or tasty