“Nice--not great nor grand, but nice.”
Review of Hotel Abrego

Hotel Abrego
Ranked #6 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed November 3, 2009

Having never been to Monterey we didnt know what to expect of the hotels or area and how close ours would be to all the attractions. I must admit I liked being away from right down town. I liked having to drive and pay for parking to do all the touristy things tourist do. That being said it was only a 10 minute drive to all the touristy spots we wanted to see--which was great! We were close but not smack in the middle of down town.

We had let them know in advance we would be arriving late and that we did not want a room by the stairwell. We have had bad experiences with this in the past. Nor did we want a room right next to the elevator. The girl on the phone was so nice and said she put it in the reservation.

Arriving late (10pmish) we were tired and hungry. It was a long two hour drive. At night the outside of this hotel looks great (it looks good during the day too)! The woman at the front desk was so cold and unfriendly. After she gave us our keys she turned to talk to someone she was talking before (a conversation not related to work because we listened as we waited to be checked in ). We were left to our own devices to find the stairs to our room. Turns out our room was right next to the stairs (and as we learned the next morning where the cleaning staff puts the dirty laundry and restocks their carts). We were too tired and hungry to complain. We thought lets give this a try. We were hungry. The restraunt was close so we walked to Dennys :)

I could go on but I wont. They didnt have any rooms to switch to. As noisey as it was (which on a scale of 1-10, 10 being loud--our room was a 5) it was kind of quite compaired to others I have stayed at. Frankly once we turned the fan/air con on (which provided a nice soothing hmmmm) on we didnt hear much!

Oh and the pictures would lead you to believe you get a nice chase near the fire to sit and relax in. Ours was all the way across the room!!! No where near the fireplace. Weird.
They front desk guy that work Saturday night was great! I think his name was Sam. He made up for the snotty/cold/unfriendly service we got the day before.

The rooms are nice. So clean!!!!! The cleaning ladies are nice and did a great job (tip the well!!! we did--they work hard).

(we didn not use the restaurant, roomservice, bar, or swimming pool though it has it. The wireless internet in our room was not so good.)

My partner loved the huge flatscreen TV. I loved how modern it was. It was very nice--not great or grand but very nice.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,552)

Reviewed November 2, 2009

The main advantage I found at this hotel was how comfortable the room was. The staff were very helpful in general. It is not a full service hotel, so there is no room service. There is, however, a restaurant service next to the lobby, for breakfast and dinner. It is located a short walking distance to downtown Monterey and many restaurants.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 31, 2009

Be aware that "traditional" means partially renovated rooms in the older bldgs. with old, tired hallways. They look nothing like you see on the hotel's website. I asked for 2 queens and was put in one of these rooms. We were disappointed. We went back to the office and was told that they had another room for $10 more. This time the room was in the same bldg. as the office. What a relief! It's the room we saw in the pictures!

Come to find out, the bldg. the office is located in is new (3 months) with premium rooms above it. The traditional rooms are in the old bldgs that has been partially renovated. The carpet is old (hallway and rooms) and the walls were dirty. It looked like an old apartment bldg. on the inside. The rooms are dressed up with newer beddings to look like the premium rooms. They should have shown photos of these rooms as well so that we know that "traditional" means, not the rooms in the photos.

The beds in the premium room we stayed in squeaked with every movement. Brought this to the their attention so hopefully they would have fixed it before you decide to stay here.

They don't offer a complimentary breakfast. Not even a continental breakfast. $8 for an adult (buffet) and if you want hot breakfast, it is an additional $2. Quality Inn even offers a continental breakfast. I enquired about it and was told that people end up eating at the wharf and food goes to waste. Well, then, cook accordingly!!!! I don't believe that most people would skip a "complimentary" breakfast that they've already paid for. This place has a budget concept. Atleast offer coffee and tea.

Front desk clerk needs proper etiquette when they see you standing there. Atleast say, "I will be with you in a minute" or "Is there something I can do for you?"

Manager hasn't responded so that says alot about the service here. Would I recommend this place? I will just inform and let others decide for themselves because not everyone will experience the same things.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
IOM_8, General Manager at Hotel Abrego, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2009

We appreciate the guests’ comments. The Hotel Abrego opened on July 1, 2009 with one brand-new building of thirty-two guest rooms and thirty-one rooms fully renovated. The remaining thirty rooms, classified as traditional, have begun renovation this week and are expected to be completed in early Spring of 2010. Again, we thank the guest for their valuable feedback.

Hotel Abrego

Reviewed October 29, 2009

We stayed just one night, but I could easily spend consecutive nights here. The location is great. Free parking. Great value for what we paid for our room. I liked the updated decor. We stayed in a renovated room with two queen beds, flat screen TV and fireplace. Both the room and bathroom were spacious and comfortable.

Reviewed October 29, 2009

Upon arrival at Hotel Abrego, we were upgraded to a HUGE room (I think the largest hotel room I've ever stayed in) with all the amenities. Beautifully decorated, very clean, with excellent bedding and complimentary robes. The staff was very helpful, albeit a little "green," since most seemed to be fairly new to the hotel. There were only a few minor glitches - when we asked for an extra bath towel at 10pm, we were told to call back early in the morning because the housekeeping staff had gone home; when we did call at 730am, there were still no towels available because the maids don't arrive until 8am. (Perhaps the managers could arrange for the front desk to have a key to the linen room, or keep a stash of towels nearby during the evening/early morning hours.) The soda machines were also "all out of order" when we inquired, and the "guest laundry facilities" are actually one washing machine and one dryer. As we were on an extended vacation, I was looking forward to getting a little laundry done at this stop along the way, but was unable to since both machines were already in use. (Be forewarned that the hotel's laundry service is REALLY expensive -I found out the hard way when I got the bill - $76 for a small plastic bag full.) Other than that, we had a very nice stay. Be aware, too, that breakfasts are not complimentary at Hotel Abrego, and while we knew this ahead of time, there seemed to be many guests who were somewhat surprised when it was added to their checkout bill. The hotel is about a five minute drive to the Wharf and Cannery Row, so in a great location.

Reviewed October 27, 2009

Great find. Went on a hotel price website, called hotel and they matched the price. got their best room for cheap. Nice clean room with flat screen TV, fireplace and a nice large marble bathroom with real soap bars. You laugh, but all the other hotels on our trip now have soap dispensers which are only useful if you take showers. If you like baths like me then make sure you pack a bar of soap. Not at this hotel, they had it all. It was not very warm outside therefore we could not take advantage of the pool, but looked very nice from my bedroom window. They have breakfast service in their lounge for which they charge, however high speed internet is free. Really nice hotel, highly recommended.

Reviewed October 25, 2009

I paid too much for this hotel on Hotwire. Room rates when I arrived were cheaper then when I booked which should tell you something.

Free Wi-Fi only works in certain buildings. It did not work at ALL in my first room and the staff knew it yet they continued to try to insist that I call the tech support line of THEIR IP provider. I switched rooms to the main buiilding (ASK FOR THE MAIN BUILDING). Wi-FI works best here.

The room was very clean and appointed nicely and only 1/2 mile to the conference center where my meetings were taking place. Easy to get to from Route 1.

I wanted to like it more but it needs some improvements. Not a 4 star hotel maybe a 3 star at this point.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business