“A pleasant surprise! Traveling with small children”
Review of Hotel Abrego

Hotel Abrego
Ranked #8 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband, our 2.5yr old, our 11mo, and my sister-in-law stayed at the hotel 11/29-12/2/2012. In the past, our experience traveling with 2 small children in one hotel room is a nightmare. The ability to get the children to bed at a reasonable hour and still have some adult time to relax and have a conversation is non-existent. We have typically tried to stay in a hotel with a separate living and sleeping area. This has been somewhat successful. With the added adult, we knew this wasn't going to work. My sister-in-law call the hotel prior to purchasing the living socal coupon to see if it would be possible to have 2 adjoining rooms. They were extremely accommodating and understanding. She said she could not confirm two adjoining rooms, but didn't think it would be a problem. We arrived about 2 hours earlier than check-in and our rooms were unavailable...for about 10 min. The rooms were wonderful. Nicely decorated, clean, spacious, and the most amazing shower! The front desk, breakfast, and housekeeping staff were delightful. One front desk woman was so sweet, my 2.5 yr old couldn't wait to see her and tell her about our adventures each time we went back to the hotel. The hotel is an easy walk downtown. We drove to the Aquarium, but it was short and sweet. And the extremely easy drive to Carmel/ Point Lobos has convinced us we will come back here before we shell out the extra money to stay in Carmel. Not worth it in my book. Great hotel. I'd highly recommend to friends and family (even without the Living Social Deal). Especially when traveling with small children.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building (building 1?). Very quiet. I heard the other buildings weren't as qu...
2  Thank magbow
There are newer reviews for Hotel Abrego

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We enjoyed our recent stay. Rooms were newly refinished, clean & well appointed. They are smaller than they appear in the picture (very narrow) - not much room in the "Deluxe" 2 Queen - but appreciate that there was enough room for a blow up mattress to accomodate a party of 5. The restaurant serves a very nice breakfast - great value for $10 ($5 for kids). Would be nice if they had a lobby area to spend time in as a family and with others traveling with - as the rooms are small to spend much time in together.

Reasonably good location. A quick drive to Cannery Row / Aquarium - would be a bit of a walk.
Though it's a short walk to the main downtown street with local dining options. Also a short walk to Dennis the Menace Park - if you have kids it's a great place to play and get out some energy!

Friendly staff. Overall, I would recommend and would stay again.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I called this hotel before arriving to ask for a crib and when I mentioned to the front desk that I would be traveling with a toddler and infant, they immediately reserved a handicapped room for me saying that there would be more room and that I would be able to set up a play area for my son. Our room was great and we had plenty of room for our toddler to run around and play. Location was also great and the staff at the hotel were very nice. We had Thanksgiving dinner at the restaurant and the chef even brought out some fruit and extra turkey for my son. We will definitely be returning to this hotel!

Room Tip: If traveling with young children, request a handicapped room for more space.
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

We booked this on
Living social and got a deal. $111 for one night, premier queen fireplace. We were upgraded to a king for free. Rooms, at least in main hotel are recently renovated and nice.
Location was convenient, close to downtown but view of the chevron and Denny's takes off a few points. All and all a good experience.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed here because I needed to bring my dog with me. It is basically a renovated motel and I usually stay next door at the BW Monterey Inn but they do not allow pets. At any rate, the room was comfortable and nicely appointed. It had a sink and vanity area in the room as well as a sink in the bathroom which is nice if there are two of you. Unfortunately, the room was stuffy and the only "air" would have been from the window which I did not feel safe keeping open. I asked for a fan and one was delivered promptly to my room and it helped but I think they should have something built-in. There was a safe in the closet, a hair dryer, coffee maker, robe, iron & board, ice bucket and a small fridge (although the fridge is somewhat hidden in a cabinet). I do like the triple sheeting and there was a small dock for an iPod etc. The room was quiet from street noise but not from the neighbors plumbing; I heard the sink, toilet, and shower.
I did not have the breakfast.
I found the parking to be problematic. There is only one small area for the entrance and exit and the spaces are quite compact. I would not be surprised if there are a lot of fender-benders there. FYI, I drive a 4 door sedan, not too big but not small enough for the parking lot. The layout of the buildings is a little strange but I found my room easily enough at 11 pm when I checked in.
If I need to travel with my dog again I would stay here but it wouldn't be my first choice if I didn't have to bring the pooch.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights over Thanksgiving. We had a great experience. The room was very clean and comfortable. The housekeeping was excellent. We stayed with our two young children, ages 2.5 and 5 and the trip was better than we both anticipated. The location was excellent and we walked to the warf every morning. It's was a perfect location for all that we wanted to do during our trip- aquarium,Carmel and even a few tasting rooms in Carmel Valley! I did feel the front desk staff could've been a little friendlier as the hotel is probably one of the nicest in the area and a friendlier staff would make the stay perfect! Overall we did have a great experience and would definitely stay again! I booked about a month before our visit and then the week before they offered a Living Social deal that was better than mine. Unfortunately they couldn't/wouldn't match it.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

My husband and I booked a room at Hotel Abrego through a Living Social Deal. It turned out to be quite a steal! I loved everything this hotel. The check-in process was easy and we got right to our room. I absolutely loved the decor in the room; it felt so cozy. The fireplace was a great touch. We used the robes to go out and enjoy the hot tub! We couldn't believe we had all of these amenities for less than $100/night (again, through a Living Social deal; not their normal rates). We ended up walking to both the Fisherman's Wharf and Cannery Row (ended up being over a 4 mile walk round trip, but it was a beautiful night for a walk)! My only complaint was being on the first floor and hearing the people on the floor above us (they must've had a child who was running around); this is why we always travel with ear plugs! Otherwise, a perfect stay! Would definitely stay here again and will recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a nice hotel in beautiful Monetrey!

Room Tip: I recommend a room on the top floor, so you don't hear the people above you walking around
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple