“The place to be for good seafood.”

Old Fisherman's Wharf
Book In Advance
More Info
$65.25*
and up
1-Hour Monterey and Cannery Row Sea Car Tour
Ranked #8 of 105 things to do in Monterey
More attraction details
Owner description: Gift shops and stores fill this part of town.
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is a great location for good family fun. You can take a stroll down to the pier, enjoy the aquarium, a little history and the best of all GREAT Clam Chowder.

There are newer reviews for Old Fisherman's Wharf

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Cute and historical area with beach access right next door. Restaurants and tourist shops along with sea lion watching. I would definitely reccommend a stop here while in Monterey.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Go out on the wharf, they made a cool little dock below, on the water, just for the sea lions, there must have been at least. Loads of people for watching, massive (mostly sailboats) marina adjacent. Whale watching tours launch point from the wharf where all the shops and restaurants are located.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

The food was wonderful, I was nervous because I read reviews where the fear of taking children was significant. On the menu it does state that small criying children are distracting. This was my second time visiting, previously in December. My daughter is 6 and does not have an issue with boredom. Both times we had reservations and had amazing views. I enjoyed the service and the roses provided.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

So ok it's not the biggest baddest tourist type area around, but there is a LOT more to monterey then just Fisherman's Wharf, there's the nicklecade arcade for kids and adults alike, the old wax museum, fisherman's wharf, wine tasting, monterey bay aquarium, and of so much more to see and do, so much that we always made a who,e day affair of it.... Plan to pay parking fees which is typical of most places with any type of attraction, if you want to do it right and really enjoy a full day then rent a carriage bike or other pedal type transport in the area because there's a lot to see and do and you'll get tired halfway through the day.. We would typically start off with our favorite place, the Monterey Bay Aquarium which is amazing for landlubbers who don't want to go scuba diving in the cold dangerous waters of Monterey to see the sea life up close and personal ( I'm a scuba diver but don't dive monterey bay due to its the lower part of the RED TRIANGLE which translates to very dangerous shark attack prone waters) but with the aquarium you can see jaws up close and personal without worrying about being his lunch..... The aquarium has so much to see and do you can plan at least and hour or two or more just there, then we talk a walk up and over to the indoor carousel at the nicklecade arcade that's is pretty big and lots of fun for kids and parents alike, after a while there we stop and do a few wine tastings and up through cannery row and the Steinbeck museum, there's also hand feeding pigeons, seagulls and wild squirrels, yup squirrels and I've had them climb up my leg and sit on my thigh and casually eat peanuts so they are friendly, pigeons will sit in your hands and feed without a care in the world, we have pictures with my wife sitting with three wild pigeons perched on her shoulders and arms eating out of her hands and of squirrels sitting on my thigh casually eating peanuts, its an amazing experience and just plain out cool... After stopping to feed the wildlife and the arcade and museum we grab a beer or a glass of local area wine and a snack and then keep heading towards the wharf, stopping at numerous shops and wineries to taste and purchase several bottles of wine to take home with us, by now were half way to the wharf and got a bit of a buzz going and the day is beautiful and we've got souvenirs, wine and other stuff carrying along with us.... We always take a walk to the cove and walk on the beach and check out the small pools at low tide where you can see all kinds of little critters and small sea life, people watching is also always fun as there are usually street performers or other small attractions, cannery row is both beautiful and historical and worth taking time and there's always little side shops you have to keep an eye out for because they are almost hidden from view so check out all the nooks to find some great wineries and tasting rooms and food and other stuff.. By the time we finally hit the opening of the wharf were a bit tired and pretty hungry (the first place I took my new girlfriend too, my now wife of 20 years was monterey aquarium and the wharf when we met and I brought her to California with me) so we get to the wharf finally and we pop in to all the shops and nooks and stuff like that with one thing in mind, getting to the end of the wharf on the right side to the Wharfside restaurant to sit for a nice dinner and a bottle of wine (I think it's named something else now?) my wife loves this place more then any other in monterey because her first time I took her there, she swore she would never eat squid, octopus, shark and other great seafood, so when I ordered dinner for us both with a bottle of their fantastic wine I made sure I ordered calamari and an assortment plate for her, they lays had fresh baked warm French bread on the tale and were very attentive and we were never lacking for anything, they first brought the calamari and an appetizer plate and various dips and sauces to go with them and she tasted the breaded deep fried to perfection calamari (to which she asked what is calamari, and I said I don't know, it's just calamari?) and she was just loving it and after she had eaten a good amount and had a mouthful of it I looked at her and said do you know what calamari is? To which she stopped chewing and got a funny look on her face and I said well its squid, and she got a funny look on her face and cocked her head a bit and then smiled a little and continued eating because she loved it, she also had been eating shark and other items she said she would never eat and ended up loving every bit of it so now its always our last stop after a long day just taking in everything monterey bay has to offer... There's far more then I've mentioned and its a trip you want to start early to get good parking and to have plenty if time so you don't have to rush through the day... The Wharfside restaurant is the last place on the right just after a fresh fish market and across from abelonettis restaurant, the wharf Monday of jogs to the left a little and there's another couple buildings before the wharf ends, the nice thing about Wharfside was they had outdoor balconies with tables overlooking the bay and there were always seals and otters playing outside the windows, the waiters at the time were always there when you needed then and never left you looking to try and find them, they would even reach out to light your cigarette fr you at the time before smoking was banned in most public places, we always had leftovers to take with us as well as we always bought a couple bottle of our favorite wine and a few of their fresh baked breads with us too... It's not a cheap day if you want to really enjoy everything they have to offer, but we like to take our time and spend money the who,e day but there's plenty to do free too, or to do cheap, my wife has always loved monterey and always will, our daughter also loves the place too as do I, we even got married there by the sea in beautiful monterey bay so it will always hold a special place in our hearts and is part of our past and we go back as often as we can... If you have a chance to see everything it has to offer they also have nice hotels right there too so you can make it a weekend trip too if you want to? If your in California and want a place that not just beautiful but is also historical then go see everything they have to offer and you won't regret it

Billy C