“Fun, spooky, and not to miss.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ghost Tour of Old Monterey

Ghost Tour of Old Monterey
Ranked #17 of 41 Tours in Monterey
More attraction details
Owner description: Relive the Fantastic Tales of Old MontereyOnce the capitol of Mexican California, Old Monterey was the center of fiestas and balls, the glamour of dashing Spanish horsemen and the throb of guitars played by romantic suitors. It was also a town of intrigue, murder, swindles and shipwrecks.Epic lives full of lost treasures, found romance, and amazing adventures. Visit the sites of the ghost in the garden, ancient burial grounds, hidden treasure, hauntings, hangings and frequent ghostly sightings.This 90 minute trolley tour, led by longtime residents and local historians, will bring you into a Monterey that few alive today have seen.
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun, spooky, and not to miss.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

I recently attended Gary's Ghost Trolley tour, and I must say it was worth it. My husband and I were looking for something a little out of the ordinary to do while in the area, and this fit the bill perfectly.
The history of old Monterey is fascinating, with hangings, shootings, crazed personalities, and lots of other info that host related to us. He really did know his history, and his renovated trolley was like a step back in time. The night culminated in the cemetery... spooky and appropriate!
This tour missed my five star rating by just 2 items. $28 a person is just a tad bit steep for a typical pocketbook. And, the condensed history and more time for exploring, please.

All in all, any visitor to Monterey should take this tour!

Oxnard, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“More of a history tour than a ghost tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

My husband and I went to Monterey for the first time for our 10 year anniversary. We decided to do the Ghost Tour and we were not disappointed. It was something fun to do and Gary seemed pretty knowledgeable. We thought it should be a history tour not a ghost tour but it was still a good tour.

1 Thank k9chick
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fun and with a good amount of eerie”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

After spending a fun day drinking wine and hearing Gary talk about the wine country and the history of Monterey and the surround area, my wife and I decided to do the ghost tour with him that night. We had a great cool night (it helped set the chilling mood). We weren't sure what to expect and as the night went on the stories got more and more eerie. Chills did go up my spine. Make sure to bring warm cloths and decent shoes as there is some walking (I won't spoil the fun :-) )

Berkeley, California
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Gary Did a Great Job of Making This a Great Tour!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

The Ghost Tour of Monterey [http://www.toursmonterey.com/gpages/gtourdetails.html] was an interesting paranormal flight of fancy into Old Monterey where we run around in a motorized trolley (to this San Fran native, a modified cable car!) and explore a few historical sites.

I checked out the website as well. The photos are supposedly "orbs of spirits" but really are simple reflections of light on the camera lens. But I digress.

Although expensive at $28.00 for adults, there are several things that made the trip worth it in my experience. Gary the driver was very knowledgable about the ins and outs of history of the area. He would talk about his experiences as a tour guide and how some people told him to knock it off regarding his ghost stories for fear he would drive away business or some such. He even claimed to have the ancestors of the villains of the past come to his tour.

Several notes of interest: I did enjoy the fact that the tour stops and lets us out to explore certain buildings wehre we can. We stopped at the San Carlos Cathedral built over a hundred years ago, where supposedly the long-dead pastor still occasionally answers the door to counsel his flock. Several of the group knocked on the door while I scurried around the back. Nice Spanish architecture, statutes and columns made this a paradise for a architecture nut like myself.

We went to a few other places too: a hanging from a tree that is still standing (we touched it). A graveyard, home of a notorious victim or two (we walked it!). And a former ranch, now restaurant, that still houses the former owners who are mad about losing the property. Knock knock!

No spirits or sprites appeared during my tour. However, a few well-meaning if misguided fans were attempting to "scare up" some ghosts but they way they acted with yelling and knocking around, it was more a scare for me than any spirit!

Gary even went a bit out of his way to explore a few more sites, even though it was late. The 90 minute tour was more like two hours which was never boring.

I do recommend it!

Las Vegas, Nevada
“I had a blast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2010

My girlfriend and I had a 5 day stay in Monterey, and we decided to take a night off from stuffing ourselves with fresh seafood! This was a GREAT idea, and was a ton of fun. That being said, this was definitely NOT what I was expecting. Rather than a "ghost-hunters"-esque tour around town, this is a guided tour, filled with historical tidbits of information about the city of Monterey, the Monterey Bay Peninsula area, and even had some good California and US history mixed in. While it was informative, it was also engaging ...not dull or boring to say the least. Some of the "ghost" stories, were really factual events that have evidence that persists to this day. This tour is a great idea for everyone... Young kids with wandering attention spans, as well as adults wanting to see some good night-time scenery, and have a little fun in the process. By the end of the night, even the most skeptical people on the trolly were admitting to having a few chills running up their spines!!!

1 Thank xnyoung