“Gary Did a Great Job of Making This a Great Tour!”

Ghost Tour of Old Monterey
Ranked #16 of 41 Tours in Monterey
More attraction details
Owner description: Relive the Fantastic Tales of Old MontereyOnce the capitol of Mexican California, Old Monterey was the center of fiestas and balls, the glamour of dashing Spanish horsemen and the throb of guitars played by romantic suitors. It was also a town of intrigue, murder, swindles and shipwrecks.Epic lives full of lost treasures, found romance, and amazing adventures. Visit the sites of the ghost in the garden, ancient burial grounds, hidden treasure, hauntings, hangings and frequent ghostly sightings.This 90 minute trolley tour, led by longtime residents and local historians, will bring you into a Monterey that few alive today have seen.
Berkeley, California
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Gary Did a Great Job of Making This a Great Tour!”
Reviewed August 9, 2010

The Ghost Tour of Monterey [http://www.toursmonterey.com/gpages/gtourdetails.html] was an interesting paranormal flight of fancy into Old Monterey where we run around in a motorized trolley (to this San Fran native, a modified cable car!) and explore a few historical sites.

I checked out the website as well. The photos are supposedly "orbs of spirits" but really are simple reflections of light on the camera lens. But I digress.

Although expensive at $28.00 for adults, there are several things that made the trip worth it in my experience. Gary the driver was very knowledgable about the ins and outs of history of the area. He would talk about his experiences as a tour guide and how some people told him to knock it off regarding his ghost stories for fear he would drive away business or some such. He even claimed to have the ancestors of the villains of the past come to his tour.

Several notes of interest: I did enjoy the fact that the tour stops and lets us out to explore certain buildings wehre we can. We stopped at the San Carlos Cathedral built over a hundred years ago, where supposedly the long-dead pastor still occasionally answers the door to counsel his flock. Several of the group knocked on the door while I scurried around the back. Nice Spanish architecture, statutes and columns made this a paradise for a architecture nut like myself.

We went to a few other places too: a hanging from a tree that is still standing (we touched it). A graveyard, home of a notorious victim or two (we walked it!). And a former ranch, now restaurant, that still houses the former owners who are mad about losing the property. Knock knock!

No spirits or sprites appeared during my tour. However, a few well-meaning if misguided fans were attempting to "scare up" some ghosts but they way they acted with yelling and knocking around, it was more a scare for me than any spirit!

Gary even went a bit out of his way to explore a few more sites, even though it was late. The 90 minute tour was more like two hours which was never boring.

I do recommend it!

Las Vegas, Nevada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“I had a blast”
Reviewed July 30, 2010

My girlfriend and I had a 5 day stay in Monterey, and we decided to take a night off from stuffing ourselves with fresh seafood! This was a GREAT idea, and was a ton of fun. That being said, this was definitely NOT what I was expecting. Rather than a "ghost-hunters"-esque tour around town, this is a guided tour, filled with historical tidbits of information about the city of Monterey, the Monterey Bay Peninsula area, and even had some good California and US history mixed in. While it was informative, it was also engaging ...not dull or boring to say the least. Some of the "ghost" stories, were really factual events that have evidence that persists to this day. This tour is a great idea for everyone... Young kids with wandering attention spans, as well as adults wanting to see some good night-time scenery, and have a little fun in the process. By the end of the night, even the most skeptical people on the trolly were admitting to having a few chills running up their spines!!!

1 Thank xnyoung
Santa rosa
“Mysteriously outrageous”
Reviewed July 25, 2010

Loved it, Cool night- Great guide highly advise you take the tour when your there

Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“If your interested in some monterey history this tour is perfect”
Reviewed July 19, 2010

We have been trying to do this tour for the past 2 yrs. and finally on July 14 we got reservations. I was so gitty I completley loved it. I took a bunch of pictures and have a lot of orbs and I was so indrigued with the history of Monterey. After we visited the cemetary the tour guide informed us about the Williamson tomb but because it was to dark to walk to we decided to look for it the next day. We found it thanks to the sweet man at the catholic cemetary office and he even shared additional information. I recommend buying the book it explaines the tour and history in better detail. When we return to Monterey we WILL be taking this tour again. Thanks Gary for this wonderful experience.

1 Thank elros219
Fremont, CA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great way to learn the city's history”
Reviewed July 15, 2010

We called on Friday to reserve a spot on the Friday night (9PM) tour, but found that a number of people just showed up at the pickup spot. the driver / tour guide was surprised at the number ofpeople (15) but there was still room for 6-8 more on the trolley. The driver showed pictures, or drawings of the historical figres from Monterey's past as he lead us by the various haunted buildings, the old (and very large) cypress tree behind the jail where many people were hung in the 1800s, and through the citiy's graveyard. He told the history of various buildings, tales of the lives of the people who built and lived in them, and what happened to some of the people who later came to be seen by tourists and locals haunting various sites. After this tour we spent several days in Monterey, and every once in awhile we would encounter a street or building that had been on the tour. It certainly gave us a sense of the history of a town that was founded in the early 1700s.