“Fantastic Tour”

Ghost Tour of Old Monterey
Ranked #20 of 41 Tours in Monterey
More attraction details
Owner description: Relive the Fantastic Tales of Old MontereyOnce the capitol of Mexican California, Old Monterey was the center of fiestas and balls, the glamour of dashing Spanish horsemen and the throb of guitars played by romantic suitors. It was also a town of intrigue, murder, swindles and shipwrecks.Epic lives full of lost treasures, found romance, and amazing adventures. Visit the sites of the ghost in the garden, ancient burial grounds, hidden treasure, hauntings, hangings and frequent ghostly sightings.This 90 minute trolley tour, led by longtime residents and local historians, will bring you into a Monterey that few alive today have seen.
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Gary does a great job keeping you entertained during this ~2 hour tour. You start off in the trolley taking off from Portola Plaza. He goes along talking about the history of different building in Monterey, as well as any paranormal stories he has to share. There are many stops along the way where you are encouraged to do your own exploring, after he has primed you with some tales about each location. I thought he spent an appropriate amount of time at each location, and have me plenty of new insight into the history of Monterey. Very much recommend it. Bring a jacket!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Gary is very knowledgeable about the history of old Monterey, but it was difficult to hear over the "scary" music at times. It would be helpful if he had a microphone. Also, being able to go inside some of the buildings would have been fun - like the Stokes Adobe that is now a restaurant. Overall, it was a fun way to spend the evening. We went back during the daytime to do some more exploring, but a lot of the buildings are only open on Saturday, so you need to call first.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Me and my husband went on the Ghost tour because his sister did a few years back. She said it was Amazing so we had to give it a try. It was very fun and we learned a whole lot about the town we love to visit on our anniversary every year. Thank you!

Reviewed October 8, 2013

The Ghost Tour was really interesting, our guide did a god job of making the stories fun and he knew a lot about the area. The seating was rather cramped, the stairs were very steep, so getting on and off the trolly might be challenging for some people. Bring a good flashlight, I wish I had known this beforehand. We saw some really neat old buildings so I was very happy to see them and hear some of the local lore. I highly recommend this tour, fun for the entire family. Monterey is such a beautiful and interesting place.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

www.toursmonterey.com
Great ghost tour of historic Monterey, CA!
I suggest you take this tour early on your trip, so that you can go back on future days to see all of the sites you visit on the tour!
It is a nighttime tour.
I do not think it is good for children under 12. As the guide is a believer in ghosts and has had encounters with them!!
He also tells some stories of historic Monterey! I loved the history!! But, some of it is graphic!
You start the trolley tour in a cemetery to 'meet' the people you will hear about!
A great time and I recommend it!!!