“Just okay, not great.”

Randy's Fishing Trips and Whale Watching Trips
Reviewed June 24, 2014

As the planner for our family reunions, I try really hard to choose the best of the best when organizing events. After speaking to several people over the phone about fishing, I chose "Randy's Fishing Trips" to schedule for the 8 guys in our group to fish with. The gentleman on the phone was the friendliest guy I spoke with and seem to be one of the most knowledgeable as well.
After the trip, I spoke with all the guys from our group that went and asked them what they thought. They felt the guide was not very helpful and the trip was just okay. One member of our group became VERY sea sick on the journey out to the fishing location and the rest of the group couldn't really enjoy their time since he was so miserable. They all felt the guide should have dropped him off or something because he felt so bad and was constantly hanging over the side of the boat sick. But instead, he kept them all on the boat for the duration of the 8 hours. The guys who felt okay were definitely catching fish, but were surprised that the fish were all so small (not like what they were used to catching for deep sea fishing). Overall they were not necessarily unhappy, but said they would not do it again with the same guide service.
On a positive note: our whole group got to enjoy eating the fish they caught at Café Fina that night. It tasted wonderful!!

All reviews
in 2 reviews
"shore"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed June 14, 2014

we have gone out with Randy's Whale watching for years not only because they are cheaper but because the have the cleanest boats and the friendlies people to travel with, every time we go with them we see whales we have fun and they take care of us and make our trip enjoyable

Reviewed February 25, 2014

We booked the all day fishing and crabbing trip. They ask you to be there at 6am, although they don't actually leave until about 7am. We arrived at 6am and were able to avoid the lines to register but we had about an hour or so of standing around time. We fished for sand dabs and the crabbing portion was a bit lackluster. The fishing portion lasted a couple of hours and you can catch a whole lot of sand dabs in that couple of hours and there was no limit on the fish. The crabbing portion consisted of the crew grabbing the line for the pots and you winding the rope in a circle as it comes off the line. You don't bait the pot, toss the line, grab the crab or anything like that just wind the rope. The crab gets put in a holding tank and is divvied up amongst the passengers at the end of the trip. We left with 2 nice size crabs per person.

When we booked the trip I had asked if there was anything we needed to bring and the answer was "no". Turns out that is not exactly true. Here is a list of helpful hints.

Parking in the lot - it was $15 to park all day.

Bring a lunch - you will be on the boat until about 2pm. We packed sandwiches, water and fruit. You can bring a small cooler, paper sacks not recommended.

Wear waterproof shoes with good grip - expect to get water and maybe some bait (squid) on them.

Clothing - always layer in coastal areas but bring clothes you don't mind getting fishy.

If you have a fishing license, rod, tackle and weight bring them - We bought a one day license and rented all of the equipment and it was about an extra $30 per person.

The deckhand will help you with your rod, clean fish, etc but bring cash for a tip. Our deckhand was Tristan and he was great!

If you don't like touching dead squid, fish or the like bring latex or similar gloves. They need to be thin enough for you be able to bait your line and grab your fish.

We fished for sand dabs and crabs. They cut the heads off our fish and put them in a plastic bag. They put the crabs in burlap sacks which they provided. I would recommend bringing a bucket or ice chest for the crabs. They were a pain to get out of the burlap sacks as their claws kept grabbing and catching on to the holes in the sack. Also you don't want to put a wet burlap sack in your car.

If you are a girl with long hair bring something to tie your hair back. You don't want to have to trying to move your hair with fishy hands.

Bring a camera but be careful with it. - we saw lots of dolphins playing in the water.

If you are at all prone to sea sickness take precautions! - I ate oatmeal for breakfast, took two dramamine and was still extremely sea sick.

The bathrooms were clean but very small. I would use only if necessary.

All in all it was fun (minus the sea sickness) We had four people in our group which meant we had 8 crabs and lots of sand dabs to snack on for the week. The crew isn't overly friendly but I didn't find them rude. Tristan, the deckhand was a great help and very nice. It's not something I would be overly anxious to do again but I'm glad I went.

2  Thank Pixiepowered
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Went on whale watch trip. Small, charming, old boat, friendly staff. Trip was sold out, but not crowded. Plenty of space for viewing wild life. Unfortunately, only sighted one whale (spout only) and a couple pods of dolphins. Rough waters. All the boat tours experienced the same thing that day and all boats cut trip short due to conditions. You really cannot go wrong with any of the companies. And please take Dramamine or other before the trip. So many puking kids and adults.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I have tried several fishing boats at the northern and southern California. Randy's was the worst by far. The rod for rental was very old and difficult to use. The deckhand was so rude- I have never seen a deckhand like that! He was extremely inpatient, never keen to help, often yelled at customers for not properly handling the reel. He would say something like " You are just not paying attention!" or "You can do that yourself! (why bug me)?". Come on, if we knew everything, what did we need you for? There was a piece of notice in the cabin stating deckhand lives on tip and fish cleaning only. When I saw that I was like "really?" I paid tip in the end but always thought he did not deserve any tip.

7  Thank ququsj