“A 2 night stay - perfect location for wharf and down town”
Review of Hotel 1110

Hotel 1110
Ranked #6 of 11 Monterey B&B and Inns
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“A 2 night stay - perfect location for wharf and down town”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Really liked this hotel! Welcomed warmly, decor throughout was gorgeous, it had a unique feel. Breakfast was LUSH - after being in California for 2 weeks prior to this, it was refreshing to have a regular sized but filling and yummy breakfast. The roof terrace was great with sea views and the walk to everything was 10 mins. Room we booked was small but you can have larger ones, it didn't worry us but if you pay lower rate be prepared for a smaller room - still very CLEAN and the shower is fab! Limited car parking but there is close Street parking but was not an issue, if not familiar with parking restrictions and signs as we were not, ask lady at check in as we saw parking inspectors. A lovely stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel1110, Assistant Manager at Hotel 1110, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is our aim to please our guest and we are happy that your breakfast was exceptional. We look forward to seeing and serving you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
London
Reviewed April 9, 2013

To enjoy this place you should come with the right mind-set expecting difference rather than standard or luxury. I wish the owners did not advertise it as a boutique hotel because in my opinion, this is the problem with the contrasting reviews here. It is all about managing people's expectations.
The average person will associate a hotel with the thought of a bellman, concierge, elevator, parking space, room service and 24 hours assistance. For a regular breakfast one would also think of a continental buffet that will come with beverage options including decaf coffee and plenty of carbs to choose from. You won't get these here, but the charm of this place comes from a bed and breakfast experience with special touches.
For one, the place does not look like much from outside but the decor inside is fun. I found parking down the street since there was no space in the lot, but it was nonetheless free. The location is in a residential area, was safe and you can walk to the wharf or take advantage of a bike or walking trail that runs parallel to Del Monte Ave. The rooftop, yes, it has power lines obstructing your view of the ocean but it has a view and plenty of space to lounge there and get some sun. While the room I had was quite small, it had nice bedding, down pillows, a power shower and a bath. Being on the 2nd floor I experienced noise from above as I guess the flooring is not carpeted, which I rather favor, but it does not help if those above are stompers although they will eventually go to sleep too. Bring some earplugs just in case and problem solved. Unique touches include a free drink between 4-6 p.m. and a great breakfast. I define great as an individually cooked breakfast that changes everyday, mine came with a poached egg on a ham with asparagus, toast and a strawberry and I got OJ as well as a nice strong coffee (no decaf available). It was delicious and cooked with care.
I thoroughly enjoyed the uniqueness of the experience. It was perfect for a one night stay.

Room Tip: top floor has nicest rooms no elevator though
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JP-UK-US
Hotel1110, Assistant Manager at Hotel 1110, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
I want to express our gratitude for you review of our hotel. We are pleased to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable. Also, thank you for sharing your thoughts on managing peoples expectations when coming to the hotel for the first time. They were insightful and sparked a discussion with the management team. So once again thank you for your review and we look forward to serving you again in the future.
Lancaster, Ohio
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel under a recent TRAVELZOO voucher. I was given a $25.00 credit toward the bar and food. The hotel also advertised a free complimentary wine or beer with appetizer. I found out (after the fact) that you had to choose. So, the $25.00 dollar voucher really was only worth $5.00 or $10.00 (my girlfriend and I two wines @$5/each and 2 appetizers @5/each = $20.00 according to their prices). The "happy hour" was merged with some party on the rooftop in which the people were begging us to eat some of the food before it gets cold. Also, everyone was pouring their own wine (not us). The bartender said he will keep count when our credit runs out. At this time, we were under the understanding we had two free app's and two free beers or wine drinks AND the TRAVELZOO voucher of $25. Well, my girlfriend went up to the bartender and he said our voucher has expired. No big deal we new were getting close. So, after finishing happy hour (with no more food or drinks) we walk downstairs and the bartender tells us (in a very condescending way) YOU OWE $20 dollars! If that didn't top things off he said he let my girlfriend know. He only told her that we used up our voucher. I need to pat myself on the back for not going crazy at this point and remained calm and said "ok, whatever." I tried not to let it ruin my night. Also, the wine pours are much closer to sampler or tasting size than actual true wine pours.

Upon checkout, they somehow changed the bar tab we supposadly owed to $10.00 plus tax. I asked the owner about the extra charge again and in a very condescending way said he had to believe what the bartender said. I then asked about the TRAVELZOO voucher and he said "you had to pick one or the other. You cannot have both!" I have a feeling this issue has come up more than once and I will be bringing it to TRAVELZOO'S attention immediately.

The rooftop would be really nice if you didn't have to look at the ocean through POWER LINES. This is the closest I have ever been to actual power lines and they make a very annoying "buzzing" sound consistently (in which we could hear from the room).

Finally, the location was not ideal for anyone wanting to be within walking distance of anything nice. We walked to town and back and I'm guessing it was close to a 2 mile walk with everything we saw.

The breakfast was actually rather nice and the lady working was very nice. The older gentlemen (I believe the owner) and the bartender were jerks and really only hurt their hotel's potential if this is a consistent attitude they represent with guests.

I would not recommend going here.

7 Thank allnight33

Travelers are raving about these Monterey hotels

Sacramento, California
Reviewed March 29, 2013

The reviews for this hotel are across the board. It might not be for everyone, but it sure was for my husband and I!

Pros: Quirky is the word I keep hearing and its true in a really good way. This isn't a cookie cutter place, thank goodness. Interestingly decorated common areas, while the rooms were pleasantly simple. And the windows actually opened to catch wonderfully fresh air.

Location : Its across the road from Del Monte Beach, and a 5 minute walk to Fisherman's Wharf! What is better than that? Waking up in the morning and having a heavenly ocean walk before returning for a yummy breakfast. Bad location? Depends on what you want (I guess), but again, for us, it was amazing. We walked to dinner on Alvarado Street, 15 minutes away maybe. If you hate to walk and want to be in the middle of heavily touristed areas, this won't be for you.

Reception: The staff were simply lovely, helpful without being intrusive. My husband doesn't really like B&B's because he has had experiences where the innkeepers were a little too involved in our stay - the staff here kept the perfect balance.

Rooftop deck : Wow, views forever, lots of comfy seats and outdoor heaters. Amazing.

Cons: Parking was pretty tricky. There are only a few spots behind the hotel, the rest is street parking.

Over all, we loved our stay and will definitely return!

Room Tip: For an ocean view, ask for a room in the front. Our room had a jacuzzi tub, some don't. Definite...
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

The service was great. I got the feeling of staying at a family run b&b. The rooms were very nice, but also very small. The room size does not matter much to me, but if you need space, do not stay here.

The location was not good. The best part of staying in Monterey is walking to the shops and restaurants. There are none walking distance from the hotel. Also, it is right in a very busy street, so make sure to ask for a room on the back.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Adam P
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The place is quirky and smells awful. The rooftop is fabulous. I came by way of a Travelzoo coupon. The advertisement on the Travelzoo mentioned a happy hour where guests get a free glass of wine or beer. My coupon came with a $25 credit. We had our 2 free glasses of wine and an appetizer. When we came home after dinner we thought we should the rest of our credit so we opted for one glass each before bed.

I noticed on my bank statement was an extra charge, so I called. A gentleman with a foreign accent told me that I had to use my credit and was not eligible for the happy hour. I explained that had I known that, I wouldn't have ordered more than that. I requested a refund. He said "You ate and drank it...you need to pay!." I again explained and he said "This is extortion..you have to pay!". Talk about NO CUSTOMER SERVICE! And to top it off...he hung up on me.

I know it wasn't alot of money, hence I don't understand why the big fight....just satisfy the customer who may come back...tell friends and share great experiences on Tripadvisor...well NO WAY. I would no more support a management that isn't all about customer service there are too many other places to stay in Monterey that would LOVE my business.

If you go...BE AWARE!!!

7 Thank scubachic
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on march 15th with a gf it was a ill small but the hospitality was worth it... Fireplace, jetted tub, full body shower, three course breakfast very nice & delicious. Used hotels tonight for $99 well worth it....

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple