“Great Value for Money Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Monterey Bay Lodge

Monterey Bay Lodge
Ranked #36 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
UK
“Great Value for Money Stay”
Reviewed June 9, 2010

Stayed here for one night as part of a tour of california. The hotel is in a great location, and was a pleasant suprise. The room was only around £60 a night, but it was a decent size and was clean and tidy.

The hotel staff were friendly, and it was a great place for a night.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank UKhattrick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Hebrew first
North East England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2010

We stayed at the Monterey Bay Lodge for 2 nights stay. The room was very large and clean, we had a balcony view of the pool area, with the front door looking out onto the sea. Facilities included iron/ironing board, hairdryer, free wifi, safe, tea coffee facilities & a pool. The staff were very friendly and helpful, we had a couple of problems (tv wouldn't work and room key stopped working) but they sorted these out straight away and these problems wouldn't make me mark my review down at all.

The location couldn't have been any better, 3 minutes walk to the sea and approx 15 minutes walk to Fishermans Wharf (one of the local attractions where you can go on whale watching trips, also a must do!!).

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reno NV
Reviewed May 3, 2010

This was a weekend at the beach for us, and that was what we found just across the street. The sea was not warm enough for immersion above the knees, but there was a pool at the hotel which was maybe 2 or 3 degrees warmer, just bearable to keep the kids happy. The spa was my retreat to soak away 400 miles of "are we there yet?"
Santa Cruz is less than hour away, and is great entertainment for everyone, but it's nice to get back to a more peaceful Monterey.
We got the family suite, as it was comparable in price to 2 queen rooms at other locations; I believe the best way to maintain sanity on a trip with 2 small kids is to have a door between them and you at the end of the day.
Within easy walking distance is Denace the Menace Playground, definitely worth an hour or two of your kids' time, especially if you want to get them tired for the return trip.
We did not venture beyond the attached diner for breakfast; it serves a good menu at a reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank baddersfamily
Madera, ca
Reviewed March 22, 2010

I booked our trip back in May for a stay in November. When you have children you have to plan for everything. I checked several times through staff and emails back and forth with Michelle and Cindy. I was always assured our plans for the aquarium were set. Room was set, pool was heated. We arrived a bit late in the evening. No aquarium tickets! Room was small with two full size beds. we were supposed to have a suite with a seperate room.The guy at the late desk I could hardly understand, was not concerned at all that my son had to sleep on the floor. They offered to move us to the two room suite the next day. Hey when you travel with kids you bring everything in- side, we did not want to move and re pack. The pool was not heated at all it was unbarable. the beds were lumpy and dirty windows. Burn holes in the carpet and filthy carpets.The next day I asked to speak with Michelle or Cindy I was then told that neither managers were available. How can you run a hotel with no manager on site. While I was waiting for a manager I found out that the woman I made the reservation with was no longer employed. Not comforting at all. when we checked out we were ignored for about 12 minutes before someone even asked us if we needed help. There are better places to stay for the price

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank madcowMadera_ca
Big Sur Brit
Reviewed February 28, 2010

We booked the night before by phone from Atascedero, and chose the upgrade for $5 to a room with fire and fireplace (great move). We arrived after the trip from hell, blow out on rental car on Pacific Coast Highway, no cell coverage, and no safe place to change tyre, and the spare being a 2 inch space saver, which didn't enhance the looks or handling of the Mustang, given the driving conditions that day. We booked in very helpful, efficient, but also human and caring. After a trip to the Airport to change the car, we returned to the Hotel, and asked at the Front Desk about where to eat. Vince (Vincent) was fantastic, he enquired what we wanted to eat, knew the area and and gave us his recomendation and directions, and we enjoyed the best Mussels and Scallops I have ever tasted at ""The Sandbar, washed down with a delightful Chardonnay. The next day we visited The Aquarium, booking our tickets through the front desk, Michelle was very helpful, even though she was balancing two phonecalls at the time. That evening we eat at the Monterey Fish House, again great food, Vince again was very helpful, booking the table, and wanted our feedback, so that he could help future visitors. The room was relaxing, very comfortable, and very reasonablly priced given its location. Wish we could have stayed longer, in this Hotel and this City, as both were a delight to stay in. We cant wait until 2012 to go back and hopefully stay longer.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
frannysf
Reviewed November 7, 2009

Pluses: Location is nice. Long walk to the aquarium, shorter walk to the wharf. Beach across the street, with the mini-mart/gas station in between. Yes, you can hear the seals at night, which is nice. Affordable.

Minuses: Beds were completely broken down. Mattresses slanted on one side. Carpet filthy and room very musty. Smokers on walkway outside the door allowed smoke to drift into the room. No view. Dark rooms. Overpriced coffee shop on premises.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Grabs, Switzerland
Reviewed October 21, 2009

I had a really mixed experience in the this hotel.
Location is perfect as you can walk to all the attractions from here and its so close to the beach you can hear the Sea lions barking at night.
The staff are really friendly and extremely helpful, nothing seemed too much trouble.
The room was a let down though. Firstly I should point out that I could see the little touches, the effort to make it homely, but it was only veneer deep with dirt in the corners and a carpet that positively should have been thrown away two seasons ago. I will be plain. It made the room smell bad. OK, I could have gone to the desk and asked for another one but I just could not be bothered. I mean they should know, they should operate a quality control audit from time to time, perhaps they do but may be the person doing it has a poor sense of smell. To be frank, I have stayed in 40 dollar hotel rooms that were better smelling than mine. Add on to this that there is no aircon and that for breakfast all they give you is a 2 dollar voucher for the cafe next door and I think the whole thing adds up to poor value overall. I wont be back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo