“Nice lodge in a good spot” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Monterey Bay Lodge

Monterey Bay Lodge
Ranked #35 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Helsingborg, Sweden
“Nice lodge in a good spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

If you're visiting Monterey this is a good and affordable lodge for one or more nights. The rooms were large and well equipped, except that they lacked air conditioning. This was compensated by an air fan, but it was quite noisy so earplugs are recommended for a good nights sleep in very comfortable beds.
The wi-fi connection was free but the quality was very bad, making the connection jump in and out all the time.
An extra plus is that the Fisherman's Wharf and downtown Monterey is within 10 minutes walking distance and even closer is the city beach with a nice and clean sandy beach.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Hebrew first
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

If you are booking online, you're probably seeing quotes for $240 or more. Don't get ripped offed by the Terminator! And you are safest to stay at the Motel. LOL

Ten years ago I stayed at a Hotel in Seaside, nice beach, but too expensive and too far away. We probably could have spent more to stay on Cannery Row, but this Lodge was a great value.

The Senior Gentleman was very courteous. Our bill for a Queen, double occupancy was $100.01. He was kind enough to accept a penny from my pocket. Talk about pinching pennies!?

The room was clean, crisp linen, comfortable bed, television, good sized fridge, clean sink and baths. Note, this is not a franchise so to see the soaps personalized, made a good impression. Neighborhood was not by any means scary, and I can say, I've stayed at places... anyway. We received a complimentary coupon for Breakfast at the diner on the property. And although we did not eat there or enjoy the pool, I am sure they would be sufficient to my liking.

We did however accept a recommendation to (Sandbar & Grill) a restaurant on the Wharf, only a few minutes away. Since we arrived late, we were seated in a dark corner of the restaurant. Not to rate the restaurant here, the cost of the dinner was about the same as the cost of the room. The service of the restaurant was terrible, so exercise caution and guard your wallet.

OH - there is parking on the Wharf, where if you're lucky, you will meet some of the locals fishing in the dark. Hmm. But when we came back to our car, in the car parked next to us, there were four young Boys with LED flashlights. I was blinded by the bright green light, so as I looked into their vehicle, approaching my own vehicle, I could see approximately six exceptionally large marijuana buds. Did I call the cops? Hmm!?

The only other criticism I have of this is the lack of an air conditioner system. Yes, you can open your window, if you have confidence in the neighborhood. And although the Boys on the Wharf gave me the evil eye, no they did not follow us Home. So,there was A/C, a small fan, perhaps a six inch fan. It was not terribly noisy. In fact, we slept well had a hot shower and left.

No we did not use the breakfast coupon; we had a long drive ahead. And no we did not make friends or do business with the Boys on the Wharf. As far as I know, there are soo many things "Known to Cause Cancer in the State of California."

So, would I stay here again. Yes... with some reservations. The location is good and the price was very nice. And kudos on service, my man. But , I would not however, accept a recommendation for some overpriced restaurant on a dark and spooky wharf where hoodies are hacking grass. You are safest to stay at the Motel. LOL

p.s. And no, there was no wet dog smell. So if you want to complain about wet dogs, I guess you have to bring your own smelly fella.

Room Tip: Don't book online @244, call the front desk for a Reservation @100 dblocc.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lance F
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Oh Trip Advisor you REALLY let me down this time! My family has stayed in many hotels, motels and lodges during our travels and this was one of the worst experiences ever.

We booked their one bedroom "Suite" (haha, painful laughter) for 229 dollars a night for two nights. It came with a kitchen and we thought it might be fun to cook and eat home style meals. Here is where things went south:
A. The "suite" is a musty two room shack right next to the lobby and the POOL! Which means starting at 830am and all the way to 10 pm there is a constant barrage of noise and voices that sound literally one foot away (because that's the distance between the wall and the pool)
B. The room has no AC or ceiling fan (for $229? Really?). All we got was a five dollar floor fan you buy at walmart. So we had to keep the windows open to get at least a bit of air circulation, which compounded the noise issue. The bedroom had a sliding door opening to the patio but that was open to the road (yup, there is no perimeter fencing - anyone can walk into the compound from the street) and so we did not feel safe keeping that patio door open at night.
C. The bathroom had obvious mold and a strong musty smell that was nauseating. Yes the towels were clean but the overpowering smell made using the bathroom onerous.
D. There were two TVs in the unit, and both had the worst reception I have ever seen in a hotel TV. The colors looked positively hallucinogenic and grainy - we turned the one in the outer room off after 15 minutes because my wife was getting a headache.
E. The "full" kitchen was sub-par at best with barely any cooking utensils, three scraggy looking melamine bowls and dishes that you couldn't microwave (duh!!).

I chose this place because of the positive reviews I read on this site, and maybe the other rooms aren't as bad - who knows? But definitely stay away from Room 101. For that kind of money you can find a way better place in Monterey/Carmel somewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank DNADoctor
Cambridge, Md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

We stayed in a King Fireplace room facing the pool. Our room was a beautiful renovated spacious surprise! Located on the outskirts of Monterey, but close enough to walk about 15-30 minutes to the pier and the downtown hub to shop. We walked home from the pier at 11pm and felt very safe. Lots of tourists out and about. Piece of advise: look at a real map to get to this hotel. Google maps and map app on my Iphone took us to somewhere else! You won't be disappointed staying at this place! Grounds and flowers were in full bloom in June.

Room Tip: Book a King Fireplace Room!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Västerås, Västmanlands Län, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is perfect located close to the beach and not so far away from the pier. It took about 10 min to walk down to the pier where you will find a lot of restaurants, bars. There are also the boats who takes you out on the wale safaris. An amazing experience, once in a lifetime.
Back to the hotel, it is very nice, clean. The rooms are spacious and well equipped.
Next to the hotel there is a breakfast & lunch restaurant, good food and excellent service.
I can warmly recommend it to you.

Stayed July 2014
CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is not a fancy place by any means, but it was clean and neat and had all the amenities we needed. The gas fireplace functioned well. Plenty of hot water for showers. Front desk staff was very nice and helpful. The parking is actually really good (at least on the side we stayed on) - you get an assigned space and it is roomy (in case you're like my husband and afraid of getting his car dinged by inconsiderate people parking next to you). There is a restaurant adjacent to the hotel for breakfast and lunch. We received coupons for a nice discount there and the food was very good, with generous portions and good service.

The neighborhood isn't great, but we didn't feel like we were in danger or anything. There's a mini-mart right next door. It's right next to Dennis the Menace park, if you're so inclined. We chose this place because it's walking distance to the Wharf & the Aquarium but not as expensive as the hotels on the Row. It's a couple of miles though, so if you're not in the habit of walking, be careful. We even walked back late at night and nobody mugged us (ha ha). The people in the room next to us had their TV on too loud all night, so the walls are a little thin, but it didn't keep us from sleeping, just made us want to punch those people.

If you're looking to save some money to spend on other things in Monterey, this is a good place to stay. Like I said, nothing fancy but a very nice, cute, comfortable room. We would stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Travelcat420
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

We were travelling with our small dog. The room we stayed in smelled super doggy and did not seem clean. The carpet was damp. It was kind of disgusting. I mean, the smell kept me awake. Never again.

Well, TripAdvisor says my review needs 35 more characters, so OK. For those travelling with dogs: there is a tiny, fenced-in dog run in walking distance. There are separate runs for large and small dogs. It's near the cemetery, and not easy to see from the road. Look for the mausoleum -- the dog run is right next to that. We were grateful to find it, since although much of the Monterey Peninsula is dog-friendly-ish, there are few places to let your dog run off-leash.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple