“Pleasant, Updated Hotel with Excellent Staff”

Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course
Ranked #21 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Our stay at the Hyatt Regency Monterey was relaxing, enjoyable, and very good value for money. The hotel doesn't try to be something it isn't - fancy shmancy luxury - and that's just fine. Pretentious snobbery OUT. Charm, comfort, attentive service IN. The low-rise buildings are classic and well-maintained. Our suite was exceptionally spacious and had all the usual trimmings, but don't expect high style. Ditto for the restaurants and spa. The hotel is bordered by a golf course, with pastoral views and tranquil quiet most of the time, and only the occasional bout of foul language from bad players. There's a nice gazebo with a firepit, and the cocktail lounge is cozy. It's a quick walk - about a mile - along a quiet street to the bay and the bayside jogging/bike path. The main claim to fame of the Hyatt Regency Monterey is the excellent staff. The housekeeping staff, the management, the servers, the spa staff, the desk clerks, everyone was conscientious, helpful, amiable and well-trained. We were sorry to leave after our five day stay, so we're planning a return visit soon.

Room Tip: Request a ground-floor, golf course view room or suite. In addition to views and quiet, they have l...

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of days since we had free nights. We luckily got to check in early; the front desk workers were friendly. We were in building 6, close to the lobby, pool, table tennis, and restaurants. I recommend buildings 1-9 because they are closer to the Spyglass pool. But if you want to work out or go to the spa, you should get buildings 14 or 15. Anyway, we went into the room. It was nice, double queen. It had a small fridge, air conditioning machine, heater, fan, which was quiet, TV, and a desk. Some other family members said that it looked a bit dated, although I disagree. Bathroom: I don't care for the sliding door. I prefer a regular door. Besides, the door had scratches and some of it was chipped off. The shower was nice though. Beds were wobbly, but pretty comfortable. The bedlight was also convenient. It does get warm in the room at night. The Spyglass pool had cabanas, great because they were free. The pool was surprisingly deep, 8 feet. The whirlpool was relaxing. Overall, the rooms were nice, the service was great, and the activities for the kids were fun. I would come here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The hotel is nice and clean, but it seems much more motel than hotel.

The layout of the resort is randomly placed two-story buildings all over the property. My room was on the opposite end of the hotel lobby/check-in building... so this meant I rarely saw much life. Personally, I prefer coming into a hotel after a nice dinner and seeing people enjoying cocktails and talking in the lobby, this never happened here since after checking in, I never saw the lobby again.

Also, regarding the property, other than a golf course, I didn't notice there being much to see and it was way too cold to swim.

Overall the room was nice, especially the bathroom. I was shocked that there was no air conditioning. I understand that Monterey has beautiful cool weather, but at the same time, to enjoy that same cool air in the room you need to leave your doors and windows open 24/7. This is not ideal if you are not in the room all day (don't want to get robbed) and more importantly the noise of the highway which runs 20 yards in front of the building is very loud.

I did have one issue, I had to leave the hotel in an emergency and needed a taxi immediately. Unfortunately I had to call the front desk and bell desk 3 times before anyone ever answered; other than that the staffers seemed helpful.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at the Hyatt Regency for a business trip. As with a lot of so called "higher end" hotels, the lobby and hotel grounds are very nice, but the rooms are just like any other mediocre hotel. We requested a room with two beds as our daughter was with us, and I was shocked to discover that the beds were double, not queens. Talk about cheap, I've stayed at numerous other not so expensive hotels and had larger more comfortable beds when requesting two beds to a room. My husband who is 6'3" had his feet hanging of the end. Very disappointing, we also had requested a room with a balcony when making reservations, but was told upon check in that the only rooms with balconies were king, this wasn't shared when making reservations. I can't imagine the only rooms with balconies are kings, but maybe. This hotel also sits against the freeway, so if you are put in the outside row of rooms, be prepared for traffic noise. And although the Monterey airport is small, with minimal air traffic, they fly right over this hotel several times a day as well.
On another note, I read with interest that there was shuttle service from this hotel to Cannery Row, and was thrilled they offered it, so we could go downtown and try the restaurants, but what wasn't shared is that the shuttle only runs from like 9:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., so doesn't give you the time you'd need for an evening out. Great if your just going to the aquarium. The service at the hotel was commendable, but overall wasn't as nice as you'd expect for the price you pay staying at a Hyatt Regency.

Room Tip: Stay away from the freeway side, and if you don't want to hear screaming kids until 10:00 at nig...
1  Thank frogfan63
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Property has been updated significantly over the years but there is still room to improve. Had a suite that was very comfortable and modern. Bathroom was cramped though. Buildings are dated but the interiors are modern. Regency Club is cramped though and evening food offerings are hit-miss (one was so salty, it tasted like the Dead Sea) and sign-in process is just annoying.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We were looking to spend a nice weekend with our family in the Monterey or Carmel area. We booked 2 rooms at the Hyatt Regency through Priceline as it sounded like a resort property. The staff at the front desk and bellmen were very helpful, but we found our rooms in Building 25 to be very noisy. On the rear side, they were adjacent to a freeway with constant traffic noise. On the porch side, we fronted the pool which was noisy all day long. The pool and spa were used until 1:30 in the morning, thought I believe they were supposed to be closed. The double rooms appeared to have been updated, but were still small with insufficient room in the bathrooms for toiletries. The property was fine but in such a nice area of California we were hoping for something more charming and found we did not want to spend much time at this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to book a room that is away from the pool area and not on the freeway.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed here for a business meeting this week for 3 nights. For me the cons for this place far outweigh the pros. Until this place gets a major overhaul I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Pros:
The staff is courteous and professional. Front desk, housekeeping, catering servers, bar/restaurant wait staff were all very nice.
Nice bathroom with walk in shower.
Nice lobby and Fireplace lounge- great Mojito and mushroom pizza.
Mini-fridge, safe, coffee tea maker in the room and a ceiling fan
Wi-fi works well in the room. Note: Unless you're downloading a lot of video, you probably don't need to buy the upgrade for the higher speed.

Cons:
King bed- mine was very uncomfortable - I guess I drew the short straw since others have been happy with theirs. I didn't sleep well once.
The floors are creaky. I could hear the people upstairs moving around all the time.
All the doors seem to slam shut.
The room furniture, hallway walls, doors are pretty beat up.
My room had a balcony but its ridiculously small. They have 2 chairs and a small table on the balcony that basically take up all of the space.
With the single exception of the mushroom pizza I had at the Fireplace Lounge, the food is terrible. The waiter at Knuckles Sports Bar recommended the Cheesesteak-- I have no idea why. It was dry and bland. The 4 course dinner done by the catering staff was also terrible except for the lemon cheesecake. I'm guessing that came from a vendor.

While I was happy with the bathroom in my room, my co-worker who was in building 1 (I was in 12) was not so happy when what appeared to be (and smelled like) sewage came up from the shower drain and covered the shower floor.

I stayed at this hotel 10 years ago and its been updated since then but it REALLY needs an overhaul now. No way this is a 4 star property in its current condition.

1  Thank Chris H