Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course
GreenLeadersSilver level
Rustenburg
“Not the best choice”
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

I can see the value in this hotel for golfers and conference attendees, but we stayed for a weekend to see the sights of Carmel, Moneterey and Big Sur. Had we known about the hidden charges for 'resort fees' and internet, the Inter Continental at the Cannery would have been a MUCH better choice of accommodation.

The only star goes to TusCA restaurant, which served a world-class dinner with fine wine and beautiful golf course views.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Gordon_Day

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (598)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
NorCal
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I had the chance to stay at this property about two years ago and have been aching to return ever since. Finally made it back this weekend and was not disappointed!

Pros:
-Beautiful property, immaculately groomed and wonderfully landscaped. It feels peaceful and relaxing.
-Large rooms, nicely designed
-Comfy beds and pillows
-Amazing bathrooms (I want to transplant the bathroom from my room to my house)
-Brilliant service. Everyone was friendly, very attentive, well-groomed and well-mannered.
-Lovely, heated pools and hot tubs
-Outdoor fire pits
-Beautiful golf course
-Ping-pong, shuffleboard and foosball tables
-Gorgeous gym
-Lovely spa
-I love everything about this place and cannot wait to return again.

Cons:
-No bathtub. But the shower was quite nice.

Tip:
Ask for a room overlooking the golf course

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the golf course. Actually, ask for any room that doesn't face the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Concord, California
Reviewed January 25, 2013

From the moment we were checked in - to the moment we departed - it was a most excellent experience. This hotel staff shines! Last year - we were given a room directly across from our event - this year there is a major upgrade going on at the ballroom so there was a club house set up that was really wonderful, spacious, and offered excellent dance venue. The short walk was perfect. The grounds at this hotel are kept up - immaculately clean and are beautiful. Knuckles stayed open late for the dance crowd an the dining room was great for breakfast. There is an area around the fire place that is wonderful for the late afternoon meal and the food was delicious at all of them. Again this year, the staff took care of us and our room - which shows that this is a well run operation. The place is CLEAN and the furniture all looks new.

Room Tip: The weather sometimes dips into the low 30s so get a room close to the event.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
South San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times. This particular trip I was tired of looking at hotels, so went to Priceline to have them choose a 4 star hotel for me. I was excited to get a 4 star hotel for the price but when I saw where I'd be staying, I was surprised. In my opinion, this hotel should be a 3 star rating.
It is a nice hotel and your room can make all the difference. The room I first had felt like a cell so I asked to move to a room with a balcony or patio. At this point I was very unhappy. The front desk earned a 4 star rating by being extremely nice and getting me moved quickly. They were very organized for a hotel with a zillion rooms and most of them booked. Our view was of the parking lot (which was very full) but I was fine with people watching. Some of the rooms have really good views of the golf course. The balcony for a standard room is not very big, but its a balcony!
The bed was comfortable, the room is a nice size and housekeeping was great. The grounds are great for walking around and the pools are nice. The customer service was very good and on par with luxury hotels. Everything else was 3 stars in my opinion, but this is not a bad thing. We had a very nice time especially because the weather was superb. One important thing to mention is that you're not walking distance from the action. (Whatever that means in Monterey!) It is, however, a quick drive away. I recommend this hotel but have 3 star expectations and get a good room. If I had not been moved to a better room this would be a very different review.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony or patio.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hacienda Heights, California
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed over Christmas vacation with my husband in a HUGE king room. The room is 4 times larger than my bedroom at home! Included a couch, reading chair, desk and a balcony. There was also a walk in closet - who has those at a hotel? It was awesome. And the bathroom counter had more space than I have ever seen. At least 10 feet to put stuff on. Unreal!

While there we used the fitness room. Good selection of equipment. Towels, water and headphones are provided. Nice touch. Busy in the morning, but that is a given.

The hot tub was a decent size. It broke while I was there but they fixed it quickly. Temp was not too hot, not too cold, just right!

The one downside (for others, not for me) was the distance from everything. it is away from the other area hotels, which I liked. Nice and quiet. And the view of the golf course was nice.

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor near the edge of the property. That made it easy to find parking...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Ok, so this hotel was wonderful. If you do research and look at various photos you really can't tell how nice it is. I tried to take photos to do it justice but it looks amazing when you visit it. I'd like to say I'm a "hotel snob" so if this met my standards then let that tell you. The location is very ideal. We were only 5 minutes or less into downtown Monterey, Cannery Row, and beaches. Carmel was only about 10 or so minutes away. It is a great places to stay during a visit to Big Sur. Though, it is a bit of drive into Big Sur ... it is an absolutely beautiful drive. During our four night stay we visited Big Sur 2 or 3 times and enjoyed the drive each time. The grounds of the hotel are very clean and quite. The pool is heated and ideal for a late night swim on a cold night. The rooms were clean and the bathrooms were perfect sized and included a nice stand up shower. During our visit this was the most economical hotel and best looking as well... I mean unless you stayed in Carmel. We did pass the Carmel Hyatt during our drive to Big Sur and found this hotel to be a bit cheaper and nice. Overall, I'd come back here during my visit to Monterey. P.S. Room service was GREAT! Awesome food.

Room Tip: Higher flood with balcony. The hotel does not have A/C - DON'T FREAK OUT... It is ALWAYS cold in...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lompoc,ca
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt in the winter months due to a family crisis. It is not the same hotel as it is in the summer months. The customer service was sub-par, the valet service was non-existive. The starbucks inside the hotel was horrible. We were served a bagel that was hard as a rock. The teenager did not know how to make a latte. The beds were very comfortable. Its too bad the disabled parking spots or so far from the rooms.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends