Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course
GreenLeadersSilver level
Singapore, Singapore
“Average experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

The check-in queue was just two people but took forever, the noise level in the lobby was high in the evenings due to the restaurant adjoining, and it was a long and lonely walk outdoors to our room through the cold (avoid building 11 if you can). The only upside to being in building 11 was that when we got back at night the only parking available was at the very end of the property, which was right by building 11. Be prepared to drive everywhere because there's nothing at all around the hotel. The room was nice, overlooking the golf course; other than that, it wasn't a great experience.

Room Tip: Avoid building 11
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

The only four negatives I have are 1- it's a short drive into town, which is more of a problem if you dont have a car, 2-since it's remote, it somewhat forces you to eat/drink at the hotel, and they charge a premium for that convenience.. expensive, 3. parking stinks (people arriving at night were parking along the curbs and pretty much everywhere), and 4. the pool and (especially) hot tub were dirty and we wouldn't think of going in (but it was also 60 degrees so maybe they only maintain it on hot days?). The positives - VERY relaxing place, HUGE workout facility, they were really accomodating of our motorcycles, the valet and cleaning staff were some of the nicest, friendliest I've ever met, the food and wine are good, the room was comfortable and nice, it was quiet, and the lobby bar is actually nice to hang out in (although COLD). I'd probably prefer to stay downtown, but it was a better value to stay a couple miles out. And really, I have to say it again, the nicest cleaning and valet staff I've ever encountered.

Room Tip: There are several outbuildings, and the elevators are few and far between. If you can't handle s...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dragon l
Menlo Park, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

good facilities - We used the pool and tennis courts but they also have a spa and golf if you're so inclined. Nice comfortable room for us and our seven-year-old daughter, but truth be told we hardly stayed in it.

Location was good, close to Fisherman's Wharf and Custom House Plaza and about a 10 min drive to Carmel. A couple of on-site restaurants too if you want to stay in.

My only complaint is the room noise from upstairs and next door can be heard in your room. The footsteps from above kept me up the first night, but by the second night I got used to it.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ftomacruz
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Stayed with family - two children. Room was big, clean, well-appointed. We'd paid for the Club Lounge which definitely made the difference as breakfast included (Continental, but much more than Brits usually eat!), and hors d'oeuvres in the early evening meant only a light dinner required. It was lovely for the boys to grab a hot chocolate at bedtime too. Slightly disappointed that our room was so far from the Club and pool, all other users seemed to be staying in that block. Sports Bar was great for our football ("soccer") mad son as he could catch up with English Premiership on the at-table screen; food good value in here too; we didn't try the other restaurants which were a bit pricier. Just a shame about the grey skies and overall chilly weather, but that's hardly the hotel's fault!

Room Tip: If you are using the Club, try for block 5
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Martinez, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

We booked a room at this hotel as we were in the area to attend a lovely wedding at the Hyatt in Carmel. I just couldn't recommend this resort due to how much they charge and for the little you get for your buck. Check in was a breeze and the clerk was very gracious and helpful. Parking is pitiful unless you get a spot early and don't move your car until the next day. We were in building 8 but had to park at the far end (was it building 17 or 18?) when we came back from attending a lovely wedding. Elevators are only in some of the units. The doors of the rooms slam shut with a loud bang unless you are very careful about closing them. This is very disturbing at 6 in the morning when you are trying to sleep. We didn't hear much noise from the rooms on either side of us. The highway outside was fairly audible. I HATE the $20.00 resort fees. What a rip off. Why don't they just include it in the cost of the room?? and then you are dinged another $2 in tax for that! I know, my husband has explained it to me - they charge these fees because the rich will pay them and don't care. Maybe it helps to keep the riff-raff out.

The bed and the linens were luxurious and plentiful. The decor was ok. Some of the artwork looked dated. I guess this would be a great place if you want to golf on the adjacent course.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Monterey hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Stayed with my family of 5, including three kids.
On our California holiday we stayed in 9 hotels and this was the worst. Decor, bathrooms and general standard were excellent. But when we asked for a rollaway bed answer was its not company policy. Its OK to book 5 people but not for one of the to have a bed. So my son had to sleep on the floor with bedding provided by the hotel which clearly is company policy: how ridiculous!
I will not be staying in another Hyatt simply because I cant unless I book two rooms. Very poor service

Room Tip: dont book for 5 impossible unless one of you likes the floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank EdStrongbow
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

This hotel really depends on what you are looking for and the rate you can find. My corporate rate was $160/night, which is decent, but I was really just using it as a hotel room. I did not use any of the other amenities, pool, spa, golf, etc. as my time was spent outside of the hotel grounds exploring Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur. The main reason I stayed here was as a Platinum member I had a certificate allowing me access to the club lounge. If you've ever stayed at a resorts club lounge you are probably aware of the value. This was an opportunity for free breakfast, which I find to be a huge perk at properties. The breakfast at the club lounge, however, was worse than any other breakfast I've ever experienced at any hotel. Nothing hot - no eggs, bacon, waffle maker, etc. Simply toast, muffins, and bagels. There was cereal as well. I was dissapointed that I redeem my certificate at this property as it could have been used elsewhere. I was not around during the day, however, to check out the food options during the day, however, based on the breakfast options, I did not have high hopes and did not want to arrange my day to go back to the hotel to check it out.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jenss1224
HRMontereyGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear jenss 1224,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at our hotel. Currently, we do not have a hot item but will be adding two hot items each morning to the existing fruits, pastries, cereals, etc… when the Regency Club Lounge renovation is completed next month.

I hope you have the opportunity to return and experience our new Regency Club Lounge and offerings as well as all the other activities and amenities we have that you didn’t get a chance to enjoy during this visit.

All the best,