“Exceptional service when using the Hyatt credit card”

Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course
Ranked #20 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 8, 2011

If anyone is considering getting the Hyatt signature VISA, and regularly stay at a Hyatt, the perks are great. I signed up for the VISA as they advertised getting 2 nights stay at any Hyatt. I used this perk and had a wonderful stay in Carmel Highlands. I thought I might cancel the card after a while as it has a $75 annual fee, but I now will keep it as the benefits far outweigh the fee. When using the card I was upgraded to a very nice view room, got WIFI, early check in, late check out at no additional fee. I'm sure there are other freebees that I just haven't taken advantage of yet. This weekend we had a golf course view room and a very comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Get the Hyatt visa and get upgraded.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
HRVancouverGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2011

Dear robininfresno,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel as well as the great benefits of your Hyatt VISA card. We look forward to your return and providing those excellent perks for you once again.

Reviewed September 8, 2011

When we got to our room we were instantly regretting booking this hotel for our vacation. One of the main reasons we stayed here is because of their pet friendly policy, but we soon realized that many hotels in the area are pet friendly.

The price we paid was a lot for a hotel, and this one was nothing special. We upgraded to a golf course view and what we got was a view of a big tree with a shabby looking tee box behind it - not worth the extra. Our room had a funky odor, the decor was outdated, and the AC system was a portable unit that sat in the corner of the room - not classy at all! To top it all off, they charge for their wireless...

The only highlight was the breakfast buffet, and by highlight I mean there were no bugs in their food which is what I expected... We will never stay here again - there are plenty of other better options in Carmel or Monterey that are romantic, clean, and pet friendly.

Room Tip: The golf course upgrade is not worth it
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
HRVancouverGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf Course, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2011

Dear mnerius,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay. I am disappointed to hear you were not pleased with your room and wish we would have had the opportunity to correct this for you to provide a most comfortable stay.

I am glad you were attracted by our pet-friendly policy. Many of our guests enjoy the pet-friendly environment here with plenty of green space and trails around our property. I hope we get to see you and your pet(s) again.

Reviewed September 7, 2011

Like many others, we booked this room on Priceline and then became concerned after reading the reviews here. Noticing that the general manager of the property responds to many reviews, my husband (Hyatt Gold) emailed him beforehand to request a renovated room on the top floor (these are my requirements). We got what we requested and were treated very well by the staff. That got me thinking about the reviews here and what management can and cannot control. They cannot control the location. They cannot control the fact that this is a series of older, low-slung, motel-like buildings. If those are huge issues for you, don't stay here. If you go through Priceline and they accept your bid, then you should be prepared. You know you are getting a good rate, and if you do your research, you know this resort does a lot of Priceline business.

Now on to what management can control. They can control the general condition (upkeep) of the premises, cleanliness (housekeeping), service, amenities, and responsiveness to guest issues. They do very well on all these counts.

Our room was renovated, with two double beds on the top floor (no balcony). It did not have air conditioning. We slept with the window open and the fan on. We could hear the highway noise, but it was sort of a hum. If you are not comfortable with this, then request a room with A/C. Our room didn't smell at all. Some people have complained about smells. Pets are allowed. Maybe the previous guest had pets? If you are sensitive about this, ask for a no-pet room.

I am extremely picky about cleanliness. There were some smudges on the desk that cleaned up easily. Other than that, the room was clean. We had two desk chairs (as opposed to the usual one desk chair) as well as an upholstered chair. This is a good setup for business travelers having to share while attending a conference. I felt that there wasn't enough drawer space for an extended stay (only two small drawers), so we just left everything in the suitcases for the two nights we stayed.

The bathroom looked nice and modern with plentiful counter space and a walk-in shower (I don't like bathtubs, but if that's important to you - again, ask!). I like how the shower was open because I hate shower curtains. Water didn't leave the shower area. I very much appreciated having a hand-held shower nozzle, which I rarely see in American hotels. My only criticism is that there are not enough hooks. There was only one hook to hang a used towel. There was no place to hang our wet bathing suits to dry, other than the towel bars over the counter. It would be better to have more hooks on the shower wall.

Every employee we dealt with from check-in, check-out and housekeeping (we didn't have any meals on-site) were very friendly and accomodating. We were miffed to have to pay for internet access (I think it should be included in the resort fee), but they agreed to waive it for us. There are special rates that include the wifi access, so if that is necessary for you, look into that.

A word about the resort fee. I used to be totally against these fees. But I think it's inevitable these days, like paying for food and checked in baggage on airlines. Yes, they should just include it in the rate. But I have stayed at very high-end places with no separate resort fee, and those rates are like charging a $200/day resort fee. At least the resort fee is often subject to lower taxes since it is not part of the occupancy rate. Just know that there is a $15/night resort fee, and factor that into the price you are paying. Even so, the rates here are still competitive.

The only reason I'm giving this place 4 stars rather than 5 overall is because I would only give overall 5 stars if there is no improvement necessary. But there is always room for improvement. I do rate the individual items below from Tripadvisor 5 stars each.

Room Tip: Email the manager beforehand with your concerns
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Dear JF4,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your very detailed review of our property. Thank you for your comments regarding past concerns and how those have been corrected and for the great suggestions on how we can continue to get better. You will be happy to know we are now including Internet access in the resort fee.

Thank you again for all your kind words and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 7, 2011

Stayed here one night on our way from San Francisco to LA. Had tow rooms, both were fine, front desk were very helpful. Ate in spike bar, food was very good for this and waiting staff attentive. Read a few reviews about it having a feel of a motel from outside. C’mon guys, its a golf course, check most out with accommodation, and all have two/three floors maximum. As an aside, course looked great and host qualifying events for the US Open.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We booked the room on Priceline. Once confirmed I checked TripAdvisor. I was concerned about some of the reviews. I should not have been. The hotel gladly accommodated my husbands special requests. All the staff we encountered were pleasant and helpful. Check-in was quick and efficient. We had a lovely room on the top floor, overlooking the vast expanse of the golf course. The room was spotless (and we are picky), and well appointed. We enjoyed a quiet drink downstairs in front of the fireplace before going to dinner. We did not eat in the hotel restaurants but will the next time we stay. After dinner we returned to the room and enjoyed a (complementary) cup of tea on the private balcony before bed. There was air conditioning, but it was not needed. We slept very well here. The mattresses, linens and pillows are of high quality. the room was quite. One of the reviews notes the lack of coffee. I do not know this review refers to; there is complementary coffee to brew in the room, room service, and a coffee bar downstairs. I guess you just cannot please some people. Check-out was easy, we simply used the automatic check-out on the TV. OK, there is a 15 dollar "resort fee", get over it. You also get free parking, bottled water, access to the exercise rooms and pools (also very nice). Yes, we will definitely be coming back.

Room Tip: Call if you have special needs. They work hard to help in any way.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2011

I revisited this property because it has treated me so well in the past. It was my third time here, so I thought it was high time for me to give credit where credit is due. The Hyatt Monterey is a beautiful property tucked away in a woodsy environment, yet only a few short minutes from the ocean by car. Instead of it being some huge high rise, this Hyatt property has a lodge-like feel in which the hotel is split up into individual three-story buildings. It gives it a more intimate and cozy feeling, which perfectly matches the outstanding nature and tranquil environment. It's conveniently located near Highway 1, which makes a trip to downtown Monterey or Carmel a quick hop, skip & a jump by car. I stayed in a suite, which was incredible. Two flat screen TVs. A great view with good natural light coming in through the huge windows. Refrigerator. It was perfect. The property, itself, offers ammentities g'lore for people wanting to have fun and just relax. Golf is the big draw. Two pools with a basketball hoop in the pool. Outdoor ping-pong tables. A shuffle board area. Giant outdoor chess pieces. And a sleek fitness center and spa with lots of ammenities (towels, headphones, sauna, steam, etc). A an outdoor fire pit area that's perfect for a glass of wine at sunset. While the weather is nice and crisp, I still found the pool and jacuzzi quite refreshing--there's still quite a bit of sun! The hotel restaurants and bars are also really solid. Cool sports bar that actually has good food--not cheap processed hotdogs. And their premiere restaurant has a menu with a little bit for everyone. The breakfast was superb. I had this crab omelette that was divine. Finally, THE MOST OUTSTANDING PART OF MY STAY CAME DOWN TO THE STAFF. Management was so accomodating. They were always greeting me with a smile. And it clearly had a trickle-down effect. The incredibly polite housekeepers were consistently greeting me and even answering questions. Brad from Housekeeping was also an absolute champ--nice guy. The Regency Club concierges, Aleya & Mandy--both sweethearts--were quick to advise me on where to eat and what places to visit in the area. Ryan, the friendly bell captain gave me a few good suggestions for nightlife. And Patricia from the front desk was always so accomodating when I came through the hotel lobby. I saw her everywhere on that property--hard worker. From the front desk to the restaurant, the managers at this property like to be on their feet and present in front of the guests, meeting their needs. I appreciated that very very much. I can't say enough good things about this place. Too many people come on these sites to complain and vent. I had a blast here and can't wait to return. Thanks, Hyatt Monterey!

Room Tip: I had a room near the pool, which was a good view.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Got a great deal on Priceline, then read the reviews and started to have second thoughts. But when we got there I realized that some people will complain about anything! This hotel is beautiful. Yes it is older, but beautifully maintained with mature landscape. Yes it had no air conditioning in the room, but it's Monterey, on our trip it never got over 68 and we were perfectly comfortable. Despite what has been said by some reviewers, the two rooms we used were in excellent condition. And the staff treated us as if we had spent $300 a night instead of the $80 I bagged with Priceline. I will definitely be returning to this Hyatt.

Room Tip: Just ask! The staff was very accommodating.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple