“Best Location and Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cannery Row Inn

Cannery Row Inn
Ranked #44 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Dallas, Texas
“Best Location and Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2011

We were on our honeymoon trip to Monterey. We wanted to rent a room at the hotel which had nice view of the ocean. Checked about the reviews of Cannery Row Inn. Lots of bed bugs comment were there. In spite all that, we decided to give a call to the hotel and asked them about the bed bugs. The front desk clerk did say that they had bed bugs in few of the rooms last year, but now which has been fixed.
So, we thought we'd go for it. It turned out to be excellent decision. The staffs and even housekeepers were very friendly. Since, it was our honeymoon, the staff gave us free upgrade from king room with fire place to king room with fire place and view of the ocean. The room only cost us 89.00. The balcony had a great view of the ocean. The room was pretty good as well. No bed bugs.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Vacaville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2011

this place is discusting, woke up to a million ants all over the floor and dresser. Cost me over 200.00 to stay there. Very old inside. Not the friendliest staff. I would stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Monterey hotels

Tel Aviv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2011

We came to this inn for a two night visit. I booked the hotel online and didn't think about looking at the reviews here. Later when we were about to leave I peaked and got worried. The posts about bed bugs were disturbing but I decided to go with it and just enjoy the weekend.

When arriving at the hotel we quickly got our room keys to a very nice room. A useful fireplace was quickly lit to heat up the chilly night.

Our sleep was very peaceful and the bed bugs were nowhere to be seen. A good selection of both hard or soft pillows allowed both me and my partner to enjoy a good night sleep.

The location of the inn is fantastic. It is about a 10 min leisurely walk to the heart of cannery row or the wharf.

The breakfast was simple but good for a continental one.

The Inn was half the price of other local accommodations and was well worth it. I would come back again and suggest it to people I know.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Grover Beach, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2010

They are infested with bed bugs! I woke up and as I got out of bed I see a VERY large bed bug strolling across the comforter back to his hiding spot after a night of feeding!! I scooped it up in a cup and my husband went straight to the front desk to inform them of the problem, while I waited in complete horror in the room here comes another large bed bug walking across the bed. My husband returned to the room fuming the front desk really wasn't surprised nor did they care. So I went down to the front desk myself I work at a hotel myself so I know bed bugs are a very serious matter that must be dealt with immediately and the desk clerk couldn't care less which makes me assume this is not a rare event. She told me there was no manager on duty he'd be in around 9 or maybe 10 well I couldn't stand around waiting for him so we left. We had to get new luggage throw away our own pillows in fear of bringing the unwanted bugs with us. So I would not in a million years recommend staying at this hotel unless the thought of bugs crawling all over you all night long doesn't bother you!! Oh and by the way this was our first stop on our honeymoon...nice huh!!??

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank groverGirl23
Oak View, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2010

Simple, clean, nice continental breakfast area and great access to free trolley bus

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yolande0061
fresno
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

We booked a room here for our daughter and son in law for their birthdays. It was kind of last minute and there was no avaialability at the hotel we were staying at which was the Monterey Bay Inn. They had stayed here a couple years back and were pleased with the room and cleanliness so we thought it woud be perfectly fine. I booked it a week in advance and when we went to check in the front desk girl was extremely rude and un helpful and they had no record of our reservation. It was our fault to have left the confirmation number at home, however they had already charged my credit card for the night! Even with proof of this she continued to ask over and over again, ''are you sure it was the Cannery Row Inn?" She also kept saying how weird it was that they had nothing under our name and that they don't think we actually made the reservation for this hotel. HELLO? My credit card statement said Cannery Row Inn, Foam Street!! Never did she ever appoligize for the inconvenience, offer to find us another hotel, or anything. After going back and fourth for about 30 minutes I had to just leave when she started insisting we must have already stayed another night during a previous weekend. It was CRAZY and I felt like someone was playing a joke on us. She also said they could not reverse the charge on my card and that someone would have to call me back. Later a manager called and said he would reverse the charge but that it could take up to seven days. Now I have to wait and see if that will even happen, and just because they said they will does not change the fact that the funds are being held on my credit card, lowering my balance and we had to find and pay for another one. This whole problem took over about two hours of our 1 night trip but were happy to find a room at the Otter Inn where they explained to us that this happens there all of the time. We will be making a complaint to the BBB.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank cd0721
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2010

While really more like an older motel, it is still nice, and very good value. The location is right at the beginning of Cannery Row, and it's easy to walk to the main shopping area and the Monterey Aquarium. You are so close to the ocean, so it's nice to just meander and relax.

The complimentary continental breakfast was a very pleasant surprise - a range of breads, pastries and cereals - much more than I expected.

The room was large, and the free wireless internet worked well.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends