“Get over the other reviews , its great value and the beds are GREAT”
Review of Cannery Row Inn

Cannery Row Inn
Ranked #41 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed March 23, 2009

After reading the last reviews i took some of them with a grain of salt. Luckily we made the call and stayed here and were very pleasantly surprised . The outside had been recently painted but the hadnt replaced the green outside carpet ! The rooms were of a reasonable size with a gas fireplace ,fridge,microwave ,king bed and balcony .We were in room 207 overlooking the road. Road noise wasnt a major issue and we couldnt here the people in the next room but could hear people in the hallway .

The bed was a revalation , it had clean new sheets and with a new duvet . It was very comfortable and my wife slept like a log ( she snored very softly ) which in its self was a sign she enjoyed the bed .

The continental breakfast was served in the lobby . It was very basic with coffee,tea ,juice ,cereals , toast ,bagels ,crossiants and danishes .Not a 5 star meal but it filled the gap in my stomach .

The inn was in a great location in foam st close to both Cannery Row and to Fishermans Wharf . We walked all over Monterey even late at night and felt safe .

We paid $89.98 plus taxes of $9.50 per night and thought we had a reasonable nights accommodation at a reasonable price . ITS NOT A 4star hotel but a 2 to 3 star motel style inn . It was clean and we could see that they had been painting the complex and updating furniture .

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KiwiRobert1

Reviewed December 10, 2008

Stayed at this hotel on the fly. Driving up the coast we stopped at the Monterey visitors center and were told it would be $120 a night. We drove there to book it and the price was $99 a night. Excelent location right on Cannery Row and at a fraction of the price of other Cannery Row hotels. This hotel was great for one night. Comfortable king bed and a huge room. More space than we knew what to do with. It also had a little balcony which made our breakfast a little better. It had a fireplace in the room, but it didn't work. We didn't bother complaining considering we were there for only one night, but I'm sure they would have fixed it or even given us another room.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2008

We just stayed at this hotel and I don't understand the criticism. The room was clean, the bed comfortable, the breakfast good and the location convenient to the Cannery area of Monterey. We met three members of the desk staff and they were, at all times, friendly and helpful. Plus, the daily rate is one HALF of every other hotel in the area. We would definitely stay there again. A good value at a fair price.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2008

We booked 2 rooms for a night. I speak for 5 visitors as I write this review. This is the dirtiest place ever! Ants were crawling around beds and in the bathrooms. No A/C. No space for clothes. You can hear neighbors talking and TVs in adjacent rooms. It's just Terrible!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
surferboy35, Manager at Cannery Row Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2008

We have reviews from every customer and i am not trying to sell you this but on your next visit to Monterey even if staying at another property, you are still more than welcome to stop by my property and judge for yourself if any of those negative reviews apply.

Thank you. I hope we can make your stay a wonderful one.

Reviewed September 26, 2008

Okay...like I said...expect a lot less if you're used to nicer hotels. Let's get to what we liked. It's located at the end of Cannery Row so you can walk all over this town. The bed was very comfortable but they only have a heavy down cover and I roasted all night. Other than the location and the bed, the rest was pretty low class. The maid service was fast, but not efficient. Let's see:

1. The room opened up to a loud road and the traffic made it impossible to open the window--plus there is no air conditioning so the room was warm.
2. The screen door was broken and the switch on the main sliding door was broken, the only way to lock it was with a thingy they installed at the top.
3. The carpet was dirty and never vacuumed our entire stay.
4. The bathtub backed up and something horrid, like dead skin, was in the water! I freaked out and complained, worried about what I might have contracted. They did fix it, though.
5. The toilet plugged up and we had to "borrow" a plunger and do it ourselves. How low class is that?
6. We never got all the towels we started with.
7. The towel rack was ripped out of the wall when we got there and never fixed--all the light sockets need replacing. If you plug in something it will "fall out."
8. The "fireplace" they advertise is a joke. It's dirty and does not look safe to use.
9. The staff didn't have a clue about the area they lived and worked.
10. No drinking cups at the sink.

I can't recommend this location.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2008

I had not pre booked any accommodation in Monterey and after trying several other hotels which were all full, came across the Cannery Row Inn.

I have certainly stayed in nicer hotels but at $99 per night felt that this was actually pretty good value. The funishings in my room had seen better days and there was not much of a view but my room was clean, warm and comfortable which for me is the most important thing I look for in a hotel. The location was good and there was no additional charge for car parking.

I would agree that the coffee in the room was pretty bad and the continental breakfast consisted of pre packed bars but I have come across this in numerous hotels/motels.

For cheap, basic accommodation this fitted the bill and I would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2008

My family and I stayed at the Cannery Row Inn 3/24-26 2008. I had read the awful hotel reviews and almost cancelled prior to arrival. I talked to the people at the front desk and they were very helpful. We arrived at the hotel.....excellent location! The room was actually nice. The furniture was a little dated but in excellent condition. The bed and pillows were comfortable. Room was clean with a coffee maker. I found the front desk staff very helpful and we were given an arrival snack basket. The lobby always had coffee and tea and nice breakfast bars in the morning. I was told they have already placed an order for new furniture. We ate at the Trail Side Restaurant a short walk down the trail....cute and good food. I would stay at this hotel again. It was a very good price for the area. Just a note.......I did call the Holiday Inn Express down the street, price was a lot more and the front desk staff hung up on me....they were very rude! We all very pleasantly surprised with our stay at th Cannery Row Inn. We had a room with 2 beds and no view, best price for the location!!!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family