“Fantastic Hotel - Stay Here!”

InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Ranked #3 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed January 4, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for one night at the end of December and it was all that I expect from a nice hotel. The hotel is located directly on the water on Cannery Row... where all the touristy shops and restaurants are. We were tourists so this was perfect for us. We were given a room that faces the Bubba Gump restaurant next store and at first I was worried about it being loud at night but after the restaurant closed it was completely quiet and the windows do a good job of keeping all the sound out. They have a nice walkway and area to sit out and enjoy a glass of wine along the water so you can enjoy the hotels location even if you don't book a room facing the ocean. The common areas and rooms are VERY nice... you can tell the hotel is fairly new given the quality of the finishes. The room was very large in comparison to other standard hotel rooms and they had some really nice touches that made you feel like they were paying attention to all the details - live bonsai tree in the living area, live orchid in the bathroom, and great toiletries.The bed was super comfortable and had great pillows. The bathroom was luxurious - seperate bathtub and shower which I love. Parking was $20 to valet ($17 if you want to park it yourself) but I found this to be an acceptable fee given the location of the property and the area. Reception and valet staff (especially the valet staff) were very friendly and helpful. We paid $180 for our room ($200 with parking) - pre-paid special through hotel website. We found this to be a very good value given the quality of the hotel. I was extremely pleased with our stay here and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chicagotraveler18

Reviewed January 2, 2010

We had a nice time at the Clement. Just stayed there with our 13-month-old. The experience was nicked at the ages. Our suite was amazing -- it was the little things, like a 45-minute delay getting into our rooms at check-in, that detracted from the experience.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank sunratan
Reviewed January 2, 2010

Close to the Aquarium, gorgeous setting, and my daughter loved that we could borrow a stuffed otter (of course we bought it and brought it home) for our stay. From the fireplace in the room to the cool tunnel staircase down to the first floor, it was a huge hit.

1  Thank MenloMommy22
Reviewed January 1, 2010

THE GOOD: Spectacular location, right next to the Monterey Aquarium. Beautifully appointed. Hip, modern, incredibly clean, spa-like retreat. The rooms are large, comfortable, and we LOVED having the fireplace in the room. The concierge, restaurant wait staff, and all of the other staff members, we wonderful and accommodating. We really can't say enough good things about this hotel.

THE BAD: Nothing.

Reviewed December 26, 2009

We stayed at the Clement for four nights Dec. 18-23. Positives: 1) Great location right next to the aquarium, 2) friendly/pleasant staff, 3) nicely appointed comfortable rooms, 4) very clean (good maid service), and 5) my son loved having the gas fireplace (something most hotel rooms we stay in don't usually have).

Not as positive: 1) Internet descriptions were misleading (I thought I was booking a balcony where we could sit out with a Cannery row view, but what I booked was a small Juliette (standing room only balcony). I booked right through the hotel, but no one even warned me of this.) -- To give the hotel a little credit -- I later saw this in the fine print of the hotel features list on my email confirmation. Other places have always warned me ahead of time if I am booking something that might not meet my expectations and made sure that I knew my choices and what I was getting. I would have expected the same from this hotel, 2) This is mostly a pet peeve of mine, but rather than having an empty hotel refrigerator for my use, it was filled with expensive items ($3 cans of soda, etc.) that are automatically charged to your room (the system can tell by weight if you take anything out) -- I understand that you can get special permission to empty the refrigerator out. Rather than do this, I just used by soft sided cooler for personal item, but that meant regular trips to the ice machine, making my hotel stay a little like camping, 3) very minor item: The very lovely spacious bathrooms have a design where no towels or wash clothes can be hung right by the sink, 4) Prices were high -- not a great value -- a) dinner for three $84 with tip (and that's no alcohol, a kid's meal for one of us, just salad and appetizer for one of the adults) -- at least the food was good and the restaurant had a nice ambiance, b) breakfast for three was $42 -- here the offerings/combinations were pretty strange too -- I'd avoid his place for breakfast, c) no free wi-fi -- $10 a day, so we didn't use this, and d) in room movies for the bargain price (Not) of $15 (I let my son get one movie during our four night stay).

There was a small 1/2 lap pool and jacuzzi that they keep at about 95 degrees which we used and were happy to have, which were fine, but not a nice as these facilities are in most hotels where we stay.

All in all, the hotel was a nice place to stay.

2  Thank kathy884
Reviewed December 16, 2009

I called 3 separate times to make sure that my reservation was on the top floor with a view of Cannery Row. When we checked in we were told our reservation was for a view of the parking garage. They did not apologize or offer a reduction in price, they said we were misinformed. I called 3 times on 3 separate days and was told the same lie, that we would get the view that we wanted. I am warning you, they do not offer the truth and when you get there, no discount for their lies.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
11  Thank CaliforniaBlondee
Reviewed December 5, 2009

If you want to stay in Monterey and see the aquarium this is the only hotel to stay at. Beautifully decorated, attentive and friendly staff. Locate right in downtown next to the aquarium. Caution no sunset views but Monterey is on the southern side of Monterey Bay so you look North over the water. the bedding and the room was excellent.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple