“Best Location Near the Aquarium!”

InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Ranked #4 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Suburb of Los Angeles, CA
“Best Location Near the Aquarium!”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

So, so convenient to the Aquarium. Literally a half block down to the aquarium entrance. And, with young kids, what's better than walking out the door to the main attraction, eateries, shopping. No need to get kids in the car, get them out, herd them to place, back in the car, out of the car, etc.! I'd have given it a 5 star rating except that their two bed configuration had two doubles, not queens, doubles!!! Umm, with 2 kids ages 8 and 11 and two adults, that's a little too cozy. And, while it was great that there was a pool and jacuzzi, they were both small. 40 person limit in pool and 6 person limit in jacuzzi. At one point there were 3 kids and 2 adults in the jacuzzi and I started feeling like we were getting cramped. And if there were 40 people in the pool, they'd have to be standing shoulder to shoulder. But I digress because there were a lot of great things such as the really wonderful staff and the beautifully decorated room with the fireplace and the large bathroom. Anyway, really nice hotel and so easy to walk to various places that I give it 4 stars.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Bala Cynwyd
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Lovely hotel in a fabulous location. Just a few blocks from the aquarium, close to restaurants and wine tasting shops, (along with lots of touristy attractions we didn't really pay attention to).
The rooms were very comfortable and we loved the gas fireplace. The lobby area is beautiful and we enjoyed sitting on the deck facing the water.
Our only complaint is the feeling that we were being 'nickel and dimed' in an already expensive hotel. We knew we would have to pay daily for parking, but the internet connection would have cost us $10 a day -- we passed on that. The in-room mini bar was fully stocked with ridiculously high priced items and there was no room for any of our own things. Just a minor complaint but it did take some of the sparkle off of our stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Clement_Management, General Manager at InterContinental The Clement Monterey, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear tantetravels, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your time here on Cannery Row, including the adjacent Monterey Bay Aquarium. I am glad you found time to enjoy the views from the Courtyard as well. I do hope we will see you all again soon!
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights the staff where very pleasant and helpful the rooms where nice and very good size the bar area was vibrant and good atmosphere we ate in the restaurant both nights the food was excellent and the service was very good , all in all a very nice stay

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fwoodhead
Perth
Reviewed April 19, 2014

The Clement is ideally located on Cannery Row and just a very short walk from the Monterey Bay Aquarium. We had a nice room with a fireplace overlooking a parking lot. Not the best view but the room was nice. We must have had a poor location in the hotel because we found the room noisy. We could hear traffic and general activity.

The receptionists were irritating and full of faux friendliness but I guess that is the way they were told to behave. I have no idea why they can't just tone it down a little.

1 Thank PerthFrequent_Flyer
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We were there for our daughter's (destination) wedding. The hotel was wonderful. The room was quite large for a hotel room; bathroom very spacious, beautifully decorated. Everything very clean; very quiet; and we had a street-facing room. I found all employees very pleasant and welcoming. The wedding was fantastic; the setting outside on the deck overlooking the ocean; the food; the room. We had a drink in the bar two nights, and ate breakfast in the "C" restaurant in the hotel and found everything delicious. The coffee is great (NOT Starbucks, thank goodness). I would highly recommend this hotel; it's expensive, but everything in the area is, and a quiet, small-town feeling. Bistro Moulin is fantastic for dinner and Trailside Cafe and First Awakenings are great for breakfast (and very inexpensive); all within walking distance (Trailside about a 10 min walk; the other two about 3 min walk). I noticed other's comments on the pool & hot tub. Agree....they are VERY TINY and are outdoors (roof top with no views); we used the hot tub; was nice and hot; jets all worked; provided a little relaxation time; great thick bathrobes provided in the room which we wore to and from the pool; wonderful.

Room Tip: we stayed on third floor, but since we were there with lots of other people, got a chance to see oth...
1 Thank MED_Jan9
Seattle, WA
Reviewed April 11, 2014

My husband and I were originally planning on a mini-break in San Francisco, however we changed our plans to Monterey after I got sick the week before and wanted a more low-key "recovery" trip. One thing I really wanted for this trip was an oceanfront room. I wanted to be able to sit out on my balcony with my morning coffee and watch the water and wildlife, and to fall asleep at night listening to the waves crashing. This is the main reason why I booked this hotel.

As far as the hotel location is concerned, it is right on the water of Monterey's Cannery Row. The area itself is very touristy littered with cheap souvenir shops, low budget restaurants (Bubba Gump's), and junk food/candy stores. Not really my cup of tea, but as far as literal waterfront hotels from San Francisco to Big Sur, the options are actually quite limited (and availability of ocean front rooms can be slim).

There are some "better" restaurants including the hotel's own, so do check out other reviews if you want to skip the usual touristy options. Jennini Kitchen in Pacific Grove or Bistro Moulin on Wave St. are good. A short drive to Carmel will also yield some decent places.

We have been to Intercontinental properties plenty of times, so we knew what to expect quality wise. We booked an ocean front king room and we very pleased with the arrangement. Our balcony was practically right over the water and we had a true full-on view of the bay. The hotel faces east, so if it isn't too foggy, you can watch the sunrise. I loved sitting out on the balcony with my morning coffee enjoying the relative quiet before the area woke up. Each morning we could watch the sea otters, seals, cormorants, and birds. A few times a pod of dolphins would come by as well.

Our room was a good size, the bed comfortable (on the firmer side of plush), and there was plenty of storage. The bathroom was large and had both a rain shower and a separate soaking tub. Plenty of room on the vanity, and plenty of towels.

As an IGH member, we received free internet access. The speed was just fine, with only a few slow moments when each of us were trying to watch video on our own devices.

Our room had a gas fireplace, but we were there during a bit of a heat wave, so we never used it.

I did have two somewhat minor issues. One was that the balconies, tables, and chairs weren't cleaned of the seagull poop daily. We ended up placing the extra towels on the chairs and skirted around the spots on the ground.

The other issue involved our neighbor's small dog. I wasn't aware this property allowed pets, especially since we had to sign a no-smoking no-pet in our room waiver upon checking in. For the first two nights of our stay, the dog next store incessantly barked from around 6pm-9pm (I imagine that was when the owners went to dinner). We could hear it clear as day in our room, and it was very loud in the hallway. Had the barking gone on past 9pm, I would've complained. I'm still not sure why I didn't. I guess I just felt sorry for the dog.

There are limited quick and easy and GOOD breakfast options within a quick walking distance of the hotel. There were plenty of sit-down options, but I wanted to pick up something and take it back to enjoy from our peaceful balcony. There really weren't any cafe/coffee places aside from Starbucks. There were a few other places, but the reviews were not good, and the displays were not appealing. Skip the cinnamon roll place (Lilly Mae's) it was gross. Most mornings we just went to Starbucks, which sadly, was the best we could find. Of course, there is always hotel room service, but I'm not into that kind of thing for breakfast.

Overall, it was a very nice stay. I would consider staying there again, solely for the ocean front rooms.

Room Tip: If you can swing it, get an ocean front room (vs. ocean view or partial ocean view) and bring your b...
4 Thank Remgirl1
Clement_Management, General Manager at InterContinental The Clement Monterey, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear Remgirl1, Thank you for sharing your experience, and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and the views. I do regret that you had an issue with the balcony furniture, and will discuss that with our management team. I hope we will see you here in Monterey again soon.
Best wishes,
Ukiah, California
Reviewed April 8, 2014

The location of this Hotel directly bay side on Cannery Row , makes it the ideal home base for exploring this gorgeous part of the central coast. The outdoor patio areas with seating around three fire pits are a lovely place to sip some local wine in the evening.You have several great restaurants within a short walk. Including the "C" in the hotel (If you are up for something extra decadent try their version of the banana split). Our room was a partial sea view and we could not have been happier. It had a fireplace and a balcony. You are really in the heart of it all. The only negative, The pool is VERY small and the Jacuzzi was a bit cold. The staff especially Liz at the font desk, went above and beyond to make our stay extra special.

Room Tip: The rooms that face the street are nice but to truly experience Monterrey I would recommend a bay vi...
2 Thank lerin88
Dear lerin88, I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us, and had time to relax on our Pacific View Courtyard. Please do not wait too long to return.
Best regards,