“Fantastic hotel in the heart of Cannery Row”

InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Ranked #4 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Belmont, California
“Fantastic hotel in the heart of Cannery Row”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

There are so many things to like about this hotel, from its fantastic location to the marine-themed art pieces and friendly service. The views from the restaurant and meeting rooms are amazing, and the peace and quiet of the Pacific Ocean is literally just a step away from all the shops and restaurants (and aquarium) of Cannery Row, From the bridge connecting both sides of the hotel, one can even take a moment to savor the bustling crowd while staying within the comfort of the property. There is a light sculpture above the steps leading from the lobby, which is one of the many art pieces that lend an air of sophistication to the hotel. The rooms are clean, nice and very comfortable.

This really is a lovely hotel and would be an excellent choice for either pleasure or work.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Clement_Management, General Manager at InterContinental The Clement Monterey, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear KhimLee, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit, and noted some of our coastal themed art and decorations. As you noted, our sky bridge is a perfect place to observe the activity on Cannery Row. I hope we will see you again very soon.
Best regards,
John C. Turner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Ramsey, New Jersey
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We booked this hotel for a one-night stay in Monterey, passing through on our trip down the coast from San Fran to San Diego. We are IHG platinum members and try to stay at IHG hotels so this one appealed to us. We're SO glad we picked it - what a beautiful hotel We had a great room, very large, with an ocean view. The hotel has a nice, romantic sitting area outside with two gas fire places - great views of the sunset. The hotel is right down on Cannery Row so most things are within walking distance. Cannery Row can be a little touristy, but the Intercontinental is really a gem of a hotel. We highly suggest it for anyone looking for a nice, romantic stay.

1 Thank mstrctrlprgm
Dear mcp1975, Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and for being a valued member of the IHG Rewards Club. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us, and truly hope we will see you again soon!
San Diego
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Just checked out of the Clement, had a top floor, oceanfront room, with a fireplace. Intercontinental sure knows how to treat their Ambassidor Members! Very nice hotel, rooms are on the small side, fireplace is a nice touch, a 20 minute timer limits it use, would like it to last at least an hour. We watched otters, seals and had beautiful sunsets from our balcony

The area is very touristy, kinda of like Fishermans Warf in San Francisco.This limits the dining choices to chain restaurants and places that are less than desirable. The hotel offers a great happy hour with half priced drinks and tapas which worked out for dinner one night, walked up to Moulon and took a taxi to The Market Resturant on the recommendation of the concierge, both excellent choices.

Great trip to Monterey, thanks to everyone at the Clement, especially Brittney who was fabulous and went out of her way to make our trip pleasant.

Room Tip: Oceanfront is the way to go if you can afford it, the sound of the waves is amazing.
1 Thank Zo_in_SD
Dear Zo_in_SD, I am pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and our surroundings, and that you found Brittany and our other associates to be so helpful. I will certainly mention this to everyone, and I do hope you won’t wait too long to return.
Best wishes,
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Had expected a bit more from an Intercon hotel. Service is best described as extremely friendly and enthusiastic but the hotel needs to realise that friendliness cannot be a substitute for competence. Upon arrival, we left the car with the valet and went to check out the sights and had dinner, returning to the hotel almost 3 hours later to find our luggage still had not been delivered to the room. My husband had an early golf game at 7am the next day and we'd asked (the night before) for the car to be brought out at 630am. This also did not happen and we had to repeat the same request to 2 other staff before the car was brought out. So, in a nutshell, service standards lacking. Would probably stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Uberfrau27
Clement_Management, General Manager at InterContinental The Clement Monterey, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear uberfrau27, Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and I do regret that you had some challenges with our Valet/Bell. I am sorry you encountered delays in receiving routine service; I will discuss this with our management team and identify the reasons for our miscommunication. I do hope you will visit Monterey again in the future, and thank you once more for your comments.
Lafayette, CA
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We stayed one night and booked a king bed traditional room (at AAA rate). We were fortunate to get a room in the main building on the 2nd floor which had a partial ocean view if you opened the sliding door and looked outside to the right. Also overlooked the Bubba Gump restaurant and drive up area to the hotel. However, it was not noisy. Large room with high ceiling, huge bathroom also. The bed was very comfortable. Staff was very friendly and professional.
Only minus was noise that didn't last too long (20-30 minutes), but woke me up. At first it sounded like an airplane flying above, but then realized it might be a Jacuzzi in the room above. Or perhaps a generator or heating unit. The room next door was not a regular hotel room (no number on door). We requested a quiet room and it was great except for the strange noise at night. We ate at the C restaurant and had some appetizers for dinner as we were not very hungry. Delicious food and excellent service. We would recommend this hotel and would stay in the future if we go back to Monterey. The location and convenience of cafes, bakeries and restaurants is great.

Room Tip: Make sure it is not near generator or heating unit.
2 Thank veniceLafayette_CA
Clement_Management, General Manager at InterContinental The Clement Monterey, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear veniceLafayette, Thank you for your kind remarks, and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I appreciate your favorable mention of our associates and our C Restaurant + Bar as well. I hope you won’t wait too long to return!
Best wishes,
Lahaina, Hawaii
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I stayed here for a conference in late January. The staff were incredibly nice, the room was as expected for a place of this quality. I have no complaints. The valet parking service was great- I would shop on cannery row and they would take the bags to my car as I stopped by (and I tipped them accordingly). I well-serviced hotel.
The food at the conference was also very good- something that is rare these days!

Room Tip: ask for a bay view room with a fireplace
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Christine H, I am happy to hear your conference was enjoyable, and you enjoyed your time in our area. I hope you will find the opportunity to return soon!
Best regards,
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I am cheating a little on this review because I put July 2013 in the drop down and it was really July 2012 that I stayed at this hotel...I can't go back that far, but I can't leave this review out (I just made an account tonight - last day of Jan 2014).

This hotel feels so luxurious. I spent a fair amount extra to have a view of the water and a private balcony which probably wasn't necessary as the area was just so great to begin with..having said that, it was a special treat to stay in a room like that and I only do it once or twice a year so it was worth it!

The walks around the hotel are so...inspiring and relaxing. Just standing outside the hotel from across the street and looking at it was a pleasure.

There was a wedding at the hotel one of the nights we stayed (a total of three) and it looked very very ritzy. Of all the hotels I've stayed at, this was probably the nicest overall. I haven't felt so relaxed since I visited Hawaii.

I have only been making travel a serious effort for the past six years, but this area is a place I'm going to visit again, and when I do, I will be staying at this hotel. There are a few other choices in the area that appear excellent as well, but I have affection for this hotel, because it was just such a great experience.

Even the dodge grand caravan I rented for our trip down hwy 1 looked good in front of this place. Just remembering it now as I write this, I want to get back there. I stayed here with a dear friend and she was blown away like I was...honestly if you believe that travel is the best way to spend your disposable income, and you're heading to Monterrey...research this hotel, read the reviews, and give it strong consideration. I just don't think you will be disappointed.

What a place to stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank E_701
Dear E_701, I am very pleased that you are thinking of us so many months following your visit! Even though you stayed for three days, you will find there is much more to see and do during your next visit. Please don’t wait too long to return!