“Mediocre”

Ranked #4 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Singapore, Singapore
“Mediocre”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Had expected a bit more from an Intercon hotel. Service is best described as extremely friendly and enthusiastic but the hotel needs to realise that friendliness cannot be a substitute for competence. Upon arrival, we left the car with the valet and went to check out the sights and had dinner, returning to the hotel almost 3 hours later to find our luggage still had not been delivered to the room. My husband had an early golf game at 7am the next day and we'd asked (the night before) for the car to be brought out at 630am. This also did not happen and we had to repeat the same request to 2 other staff before the car was brought out. So, in a nutshell, service standards lacking. Would probably stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Uberfrau27
Clement_Management, General Manager at InterContinental The Clement Monterey, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear uberfrau27, Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and I do regret that you had some challenges with our Valet/Bell. I am sorry you encountered delays in receiving routine service; I will discuss this with our management team and identify the reasons for our miscommunication. I do hope you will visit Monterey again in the future, and thank you once more for your comments.
John C. Turner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (683)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Lafayette, CA
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We stayed one night and booked a king bed traditional room (at AAA rate). We were fortunate to get a room in the main building on the 2nd floor which had a partial ocean view if you opened the sliding door and looked outside to the right. Also overlooked the Bubba Gump restaurant and drive up area to the hotel. However, it was not noisy. Large room with high ceiling, huge bathroom also. The bed was very comfortable. Staff was very friendly and professional.
Only minus was noise that didn't last too long (20-30 minutes), but woke me up. At first it sounded like an airplane flying above, but then realized it might be a Jacuzzi in the room above. Or perhaps a generator or heating unit. The room next door was not a regular hotel room (no number on door). We requested a quiet room and it was great except for the strange noise at night. We ate at the C restaurant and had some appetizers for dinner as we were not very hungry. Delicious food and excellent service. We would recommend this hotel and would stay in the future if we go back to Monterey. The location and convenience of cafes, bakeries and restaurants is great.

Room Tip: Make sure it is not near generator or heating unit.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank veniceLafayette_CA
Clement_Management, General Manager at InterContinental The Clement Monterey, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear veniceLafayette, Thank you for your kind remarks, and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I appreciate your favorable mention of our associates and our C Restaurant + Bar as well. I hope you won’t wait too long to return!
Best wishes,
Lahaina, Hawaii
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I stayed here for a conference in late January. The staff were incredibly nice, the room was as expected for a place of this quality. I have no complaints. The valet parking service was great- I would shop on cannery row and they would take the bags to my car as I stopped by (and I tipped them accordingly). I well-serviced hotel.
The food at the conference was also very good- something that is rare these days!

Room Tip: ask for a bay view room with a fireplace
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Christine H, I am happy to hear your conference was enjoyable, and you enjoyed your time in our area. I hope you will find the opportunity to return soon!
Best regards,
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I am cheating a little on this review because I put July 2013 in the drop down and it was really July 2012 that I stayed at this hotel...I can't go back that far, but I can't leave this review out (I just made an account tonight - last day of Jan 2014).

This hotel feels so luxurious. I spent a fair amount extra to have a view of the water and a private balcony which probably wasn't necessary as the area was just so great to begin with..having said that, it was a special treat to stay in a room like that and I only do it once or twice a year so it was worth it!

The walks around the hotel are so...inspiring and relaxing. Just standing outside the hotel from across the street and looking at it was a pleasure.

There was a wedding at the hotel one of the nights we stayed (a total of three) and it looked very very ritzy. Of all the hotels I've stayed at, this was probably the nicest overall. I haven't felt so relaxed since I visited Hawaii.

I have only been making travel a serious effort for the past six years, but this area is a place I'm going to visit again, and when I do, I will be staying at this hotel. There are a few other choices in the area that appear excellent as well, but I have affection for this hotel, because it was just such a great experience.

Even the dodge grand caravan I rented for our trip down hwy 1 looked good in front of this place. Just remembering it now as I write this, I want to get back there. I stayed here with a dear friend and she was blown away like I was...honestly if you believe that travel is the best way to spend your disposable income, and you're heading to Monterrey...research this hotel, read the reviews, and give it strong consideration. I just don't think you will be disappointed.

What a place to stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank E_701
Dear E_701, I am very pleased that you are thinking of us so many months following your visit! Even though you stayed for three days, you will find there is much more to see and do during your next visit. Please don’t wait too long to return!
San Carlos, California, United States
Reviewed January 28, 2014

this Intercontinental is wonderful from the check in with the valets and drivers to the wonderful front office staff. You feel the genuine warmth from all the associates there. The hotel is so beautiful and the rooms so comfortable, clean and inviting. Dive into the bed and you don't want to leave it.
Sitting in the outside courtyard in the afternoon is just so fun watching the Bay and the sounds of the water. They have lovely firepits and seating arrangements.
The staff is very helpful in suggestions in where you are going and how they can help make your stay more special. Great team! Great Hotel! Great Service! Great Food! Want to go Back...again and again and again!

Room Tip: Of course, if you could get a balcony room facing the water ~ it's an amazing experience leaving...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Joannie T, I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit and our associates. You are more than welcome to return, again and again!
Best wishes,
General Manage
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We had the best breakfast! Wonderful view and excellent service. The Hotel is located right in the heart of Cannery Road which makes it a perfect spot. Not to mention the lovely sea lions hanging out right in front of the property.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear 3Guapas, I am pleased you mentioned your “best breakfast” in our C Restaurant + Bar. As you know, there are delightful views from every seat in the dining room, and it’s all just steps from the Bay and Cannery Row. We hope to see you again very soon.
Best regards,
California
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

I always stay at the Holiday Inn chain (IHG) and this is their very high-end of the chain. This place is wonderful in every way and the staff is just super. I was having terrible back problems but the massage therapist at the on-site spa took great care of me and I came away pain free. The spa is pricy but quality costs so no big deal. This hotel is right on Cannery Row and a one-minute walk to the aquarium. This is a great place and I'll be back.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Herod L, We’re sorry to hear about your back problems, but pleased to hear our InterContinental Spa was able to provide some relief! Thank you for mentioning our associates, and we hope we will see you again very soon.