“Showing some signs of wear and tear”

InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I'm a bit critical of this place because it's an Intercontinental and the rooms can run $400-$500/night, and as such I expect a certain level of quality. Therefore I'm mentioning some things here that I would probably let slide in a lower-level brand. To be sure, this is a very nice hotel in a can't-be-beat location, but I must admit it's showing signs of wear and tear, specifically the carpets and hallways. It feels like it was an amazing property about 15 years ago. They cater toward weddings and large crowds, less toward families (example, the pool is a very small lap pool). Overall it's not a bad place but I expected more based on my other stays at Intercontinentals.

Room Tip: Try for a room in the front building (over the water); although more expensive, the rooms are much n...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,031)

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving at the Clement.We have returned to this hotel many times. This hotel has got to be rated as having the friendliest staff available.Lucille at concierge Sanil at guest relations, Mark at the front desk along with Sebastian and Cody, Claudia in the C restaurant, the bell hops, the room service staff including the maids, hope I didn't forget anyone, The ambiance in the rooms and rest areas are calming and very sea worthy. The rooms are large, comfortable and the best beds in the business.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Clement_Management, General Manager at InterContinental The Clement Monterey, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Dear grampscc, Thank you so much for being our repeat guest, we are always delighted to see you. It was kind of you to mention some of our associates by name, they were pleased to be remembered! Do come back any time you find yourself in Monterey, and I will look forward to seeing you.
Best wishes,

Reviewed November 28, 2013

This is a fine hotel by any measure. And don't forget to stroll past the check-in desk to the somewhat hidden living room with cushy seating areas, good wifi, and a first class view of Monterey Bay (dolphins playing if you are lucky). Food in the C restaurant is very good but pricey. Once you walk outside the hotel is where the questions begin. Cannery Row was once a row of working canneries making canned sardines. When the catch started to fail in the 1950's, so did the canneries. Now the cheap, ribbed tin siding of the canneries has become the design element for a street-long arcade of t-shirt and junk jewelry shops along with restaurants offering fish and chips and hamburgers.Even the municipal parking garage is covered in fake ribbed tin -- the ultimate symbol of nostalgia gone too far. So the question about going there is, why there? The only reason I can think of is the Aquarium right next to the Intercontinental. You couldn't be nearer and your valet parking (only a buck more than self parking) will see you through the Aquarium visit even after check out (leave your bags with the hotel porters). But the admission charge is $30+ a head, so you better enjoy looking at fish for a few hours. But the Aquarium also contains an exhibit about the history of Cannery Row. Too bad is the only place on the street where history is even mentioned.

Room Tip: The hotel is built on both sides of the street, separated by an enclosed bridge crossing from one to...
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We selected the InterContinental because of its close location to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and Fisherman's Wharf. However, we were blown away by our two night experience at this beautiful oceanfront hotel. Our room was very clean, modern and nice sized. We had a nice quiet room facing the walking/bike trail in the back of hotel. The service was impeccable. Every staff member we passed or spoke to made eye contact and greeted us. We ate twice at the C Restaurant in the lobby and enjoyed both the food and the view of the Pacific Ocean. Kudos to Chris and Claudia from the restaurant for their friendliness and professionalism. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: For a quieter room, ask for one that faces the walking/biking trail in the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear JavaBeansAdvisor, I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your two-night visit, and found our associates to be friendly and helpful. Thank you for mentioning your experience in our C Resaurant + Bar as well, and we look forward to your next visit!
Best regards,

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Loved this hotel. The room we had was spacious. Contemporary and clean. We had room 337. The service was great except at the bar. The restaurant was expensive. We went there for breakfast and spent $60. There really aren't very good restaurants within walking distance everything is very touristy near this hotel. The Hotel is about 200 yards from the Monterey Bay Aquarium and you can buy tickets at the front desk and get two days for the price of one. Upgrading to an ocean view is pricey so we did not do it. The front desk person said the rooms with full ocean view are suites, then there are rooms with partial ocean view for $60/nt and we said pass. We didn't spend a lot of time in our room so it was not worth the extra expense. Room 337 is by the elevators so a lot of foot traffic going by and this room faced the main street. We could hear delivery trucks in the morning but we didn't really mind too much we are not light sleepers but it may bother you. Ask for a room away from the street and elevators.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear AliciaBar, Thank you for sharing your experiences with us, and I am glad you were able to visit the adjacent Monterey Bay Aquarium. It is a signature attraction for our Cannery Row area. I hope we will see you again very soon.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

The Clement InterContinental to Cannery Row is synonymous with what Steinbeck is to Cannery Row. I don't remember what was there before the Intercontinental, but I will never forget what is there now. Located perfectly in the middle of Cannery Row it's more than a building or a hotel, it's a piece of art. And I realized that while sitting on my balcony overlooking Monterey Bay and Bubba Gump's restaurant this past weekend. I noticed many people taking pictures of the hotel as they walked by, they weren't guests, just admirers. I've never taken pictures of a hotel I wasn't staying at, but that's how amazing The Clement is. It's one of those hotels that you say to yourself if I win the lotto, I'm never leaving this place. The service was amazing, especially the front desk staff, if it's possible to be to nice, then it's the staff here. I can still hear the sea lions barking in my mind as they did from our balcony. We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant (on their outdoor patio), I had the Huevos Rancheros de Marisco, and it simply was divine. I can't say enough positive things about this hotel, it's the only place to stay in Monterey.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Michaelroy1976, Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel and its bayside nautical theme. I appreciate your comments, as well, about our friendly associates. If you ever do win that Lotto, we’ll be looking for you to return!
Best wishes,

Reviewed November 25, 2013

This hotel is literally 200 yards from the Monterey Bay Aquarium. This was very convenient because our 2 year old needed to take a nap and it was nice to just walk back to the hotel to let her do that then walk back in the afternoon to finish our visit at the aquarium. The hotel has an expensive restaurant so I do not recommend going there unless you really don't want to venture out. We ate breakfast there for 2 adults and our toddler and it was $60. The location can't be beat. The hotel is right next to Bubba Gumps restaurant which is ok, very touristy ,not great food but very convenient and the staff was super friendly. The room was spacious and very clean and neat. I am definitely coming back. Don't go downstairs to the bar if you want quick service. That was disappointing. the Bell hops and vallet service were spot on efficient and friendly too. You can also buy tickets to the aquarium here at the front desk and they are good for 2 days. NIce perk. Saves standing in line at the aquarium plus you get an extra day with it.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view are very expensive. Front desk said that the rooms with ocean view were suites so...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Alicia B, Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I am pleased you found our associates friendly and efficient, despite some uncharacteristic delays in the Bar area. I will discuss this with our restaurant management if an effort to make your next visit a complete success. We do hope to see you again soon.
Best regards,