“Nice hotel, great location.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental The Clement Monterey

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Ranked #4 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Los Angeles, California
“Nice hotel, great location.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Service great, beautiful hotel and great location. Outdoor patio is a great place to watch the sunset. Did not eat at the hotel so can't review that part. Very quiet, so a great place to stay when in Monterey for business or pleasure.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

It started out very badly.

I booked the Clement direct via the Intercontinental website months in advance. The rate on their website matched everything else, and for the hotel was what I considered reasonably priced.

I stayed at the hotel with a good friend of mine, but the booking engine wasn't terribly clear about differentiating double twin versus queen share. I put a message in the booking notes to be clear about it, and in addition to that, called the hotel a couple of weeks and then a day in advance to ensure the correct room, with correct beds were allocated. Given I'd booked well over 4 months in advance via the hotels own system, I thought I was going over and above in giving them notice.

Unfortunately my pedantic double checking behaviour backfired upon entering the hotel. We were shown to our room. Firstly it was a much smaller room that advertised on our booking, but worse still the bed in the room was clearly a Queen. My friend and I looked at each other, then looked at the hotel staff member showing us the room hoping he would see two guys staring back at home obviously puzzled at how we would share a Queen bed. No reaction!

I quickly showed him my printed booking information showing both a clear indication of room type/size and bed type (with booking notes). He called the front desk, explained our situation then told us there was nothing he could do. I said I wouldn't accept the mistake given that the booking was clear and that I had done the right thing by calling the hotel twice prior to arrival.

What followed was well over an hour of escalating the issue from staff, to manager while waiting in a meeting room close the the front desk. My friend and I took the position that it wasn't worth being angry about the issue, but were completely confused as to why they couldn't offer us at least two beds.

After an hour of saying there was "no room" and "no way they could help us", they finally came across a room for us.

It was too little too late, as a bitter taste was left in our mouths.
To explain clearly, this review is a late one. We stayed at the hotel in July 2009. But even nearly 4 years on, it's impossible to forget.

Of course it's very easy to balance the negatives with positives with this hotel.
Firstly, the room we finally got was a superb upgrade with a water front view. Having stayed in a room on this side, and compared it to a room on the street side - there is no comparison. It's worth the extra money.

Secondly, I've stayed in many similar hotels. But the Clement has an extra spit and polish that really makes the stay memorable. Sure the initial staff had their moments, but staff we met later during our stay were top notch.

Lastly, the breakfast is fantastic. Great vibe, great menu. I'd even say the coffee was well above US par.

I'd stay again, but I'd be sure to call in advance regarding beds again.
Possibly staying with my wife in future would negate such mix ups.

Room Tip: Face the water. You won't regret the extra cost. Be sure to call ahead if you need twin share.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

My family stays here every year at the same time and last year I posted my disappointment with the service at several levels, none of which was present this year. I was impressed from the moment we pulled up until we checked out with the friendliness and assistance received from all the staff. This is one place that realizes that service CAN make all the difference, our rollaway came right away, our sheets were changed on our schedule and only had to ask once for extra towels. The only, and I mean only, thing that went wrong is that we were given a bad chocolate bar (this is the free large organic chocolate bar), I didn't know chocolate could go bad and the wrapper was worn on the outside if it wasn't for my kids disappointment, I wouldn't even have cared, nevertheless, a new one was provided, when all I can complain about is bad chocolate, that is a stretch. This is so close to everything you will want to see and walking distance to the aquarium, cannery row, and water. If you have a family, stay here and you will never stay anywhere else again.

Room Tip: Of course I would suggest asking for a room with a view, I will say that we stayed on the fourth flo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Our rooms were clean comfortable and nicely decorated. Everyone went out of the way to help make our visit wonderful. It didn't matter what job they had, they always interacted with us as we passed with smiles and helpful suggestions. The location is perfect for cannery row.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Aussie living in Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I recently stayed here on a work trip and loved the property. Location was absolutely spot on and the service here was outstanding. Rooms were quite large and the bathroom area was also excellent. Most things are within walking distance of the Hotel which is a big plus. Breakfast here was excellent (try the crab eggs benedict). Bed were extremely

I work in the Travel Industry and would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to my clients.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Castro Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Hospitality was 5
Room was 5 - great bed, fireplace, soaker tub, etc.
Food (breakfast and late night drink & fondue) was a 5
Gym was a 5
Pool was a 3 - lap pool at best
Jacuzzi was 4
Location was a 5 - next to Bubba Gumps and 1.5 blocks from Aquarium.
View was a 5
Business facilities was a 5
Did I mention the hospitality was a 5 - everyone asked that we were having a good stay. Offered waters for the road. Allowed us to load car with luggage then re-parked and kept car until 3:30pm as we enjoyed lunch and Cannery Row more.
Only complaint was $10 Internet access. Used my hotspot. Stayed at many other places and got basic service free.

Check out the music by outdoor eating area. Breakfast "California Fruit Platter & Greek Yogurt" was amazing. Had to share. The evening fondue is easily for 4 people or 2 teenagers that can eat anything. The bar had a great selection of non-wine items. Loved the 18yr old Scotch. Make sure to enjoy drink in Restaraunt with sunset. Definitely will return for fun.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

We got a good deal through travel zoo and the hotel situated at a great location with lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance. The room was very spacious and clean. The only complaint we had was the bed/pillow was not too comfortable. The staff were all very friendly and their restaurant had good food except the service was a bit too slow.
family friendly hotel and right next to the aquarium.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family