“Monterey trip”

InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Ranked #3 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The food was very good with an oceanview in the restaurant. The concierge Lucille was extremely helpful in providing excellent choices of various sites to visit plus other restaurants as we requested and as she had done for us in that position at another hotel on Cannery Row street in earlier years.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Landing527
Clement_Management, General Manager at InterContinental The Clement Monterey, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Dear Landing527,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will be pleased to share your kind comments with Lucille. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Best wishes,

There are newer reviews for InterContinental The Clement Monterey

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night whilst on my honeymoon in mid Sept 2012. It is well worth the money and a real beautiful place.
On check in the hotel room originally booked was unavailable however another room was instantly found and a voucher for breakfast supplied ready for the following morning.

Ideal hotel for romantic honeymoons, or family trips. Staff lovely and views..... Amazing!

The pictures look great but even better when you visit! Pure luxury and the most comfortable beds ever.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear HHolland,

Thank you for sharing your observations with us. I am delighted that you included us in your honeymoon plans, and of course, congratulations! We all hope to see you here again soon.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

The Clement in Monterey is one of those gems that you never forget and want to return to just to spend more time. Monterey is worth a vacation on its own, with all the attractions of Cannery Row and the very impressive Aquarium.
A Beautiful, hotel with impressive views, excellent rooms, spacious, modern and so comfortable, with a breakfast feast to tempt anyone.
We highly recommend this hotel, and our only disappointment was that we never had enough time to stay longer!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are ecellent, but if you want a view of Cannery Row, then request it. If you want an ocen...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear TGS2010,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the lovely view from your room. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

My coworker and I stayed here for four nights during a conference in town. I was very excited to find an oceanfront hotel that offers a state rate, but didn't realize that a good part of the hotel is actually across the street from that building. I had called and requested an upper floor, quiet room a week or so ahead of time, but during check in the desk staff said I would be on the second floor. When I asked if he couldn't find something on a higher floor he found a third floor room for us, which was very nice. Our room overlooked Cannery Row and Doc Rickett's lab (a major plus for me) and had an in room fireplace. There is some amount of noise from the street in the morning from delivery trucks and such. I'm awake early so it didn't matter to me, but it may not be the greatest for someone wanting to sleep in. The fireplace wouldn't shut off the first morning but a maintenance guy came straight away and changed out the batteries. The room was clean and comfortable and the beds were very nice. The bathroom was great with a shower and a separate tub for relaxing. We used the workout room which was ok but none of the equipment faced the tv. The former rail line that is now a wonderful walking trail is directly behind the building we were in, making it easy to head out to the conference center every morning. The primary feature of this hotel, to me, was the incredible deck that is over the shoreline. They have some fire pits and comfortable seating out there and it is a great place to relax and watch the ocean. I loved getting up early and seeing the otters in the kelp beds! Internet access through the hotel was $10/24 hours, which makes me glad for my 3G iPad. All the staff we dealt with were very professional. I will be glad to stay here again, either for work or leisure.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Kenipela

Dear Kenipela,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences during your visit with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed the Coastal Trail and our Pacific View Courtyard. We hope to see you for another visit to the InterContinental The Clement Monterey.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

My family loved this hotel.

Reservations:
I made the reservation online and the rooms were as described. The "partial" ocean view was perhaps better than I was expecting. Some places would describe these room as "ocean view". If you want to plan something special such as an oceanfront room or suite, it might help to call the hotel directly. If you don't call them during the peak check-out/check-in times I am sure they would be very helpful in choosing a room type. Warning, the oceanfront rooms and suites appear to sell out quickly during popular weekends so make your oceanfront reservation as early as possible.

The hotel is split into two buildings. One building sits on the pier overlooking the ocean. The other building is across Cannery Row connected by a skyway. We stayed in the Cannery Row building.

Front Desk:
This is where this hotel really shines We checked in around 1 or 2pm in the afternoon. The front desk always had enough staff to accommodate guests with minimal wait time. The level of personal service from the front desk staff is as good as any hotel I experience. I would say they are Ritz-Carlton good, but perhaps they are even better. Staff makes it a point of learning your name and using during guest relations. I am tempted to contact the hotel management to let them know how impressed I was with their front desk training and support. As a manager, I know how difficult it is to create that level of consistent excellence.

Rooms:
The rooms were clean, bright and nicely decorated. Ours rooms had a gas fireplace which worked at the touch of a button. Our room did not have a balcony, just a step out area about 2 feet deep. The rooms are larger than business class and were in the resort class of 400+ sqft. The rooms are nicely decorated in the modern style consistent with the hotel and impeccably maintained. The beds are comfortable. They had plenty of desk space.

Bathrooms.
The bathrooms were large with a separate tub and shower. However, I prefer a different configuration. The vanity had only 1 sink and was in the bathroom. I prefer an additional, separate vanity outside the bathroom to better accommodate 2 adults. I also prefer a separate water closet for the toilet. The vanity had plenty of storage space and good lighting however. Don't get me wrong, the bathrooms were large, bright and perfect -- I just prefer a different configuration.

Location:
I think this is the best possible location in Monterey. We loved our room overlooking Cannery Row with the bay in the background. You can get an ocean front room for $100+ more but since we had 2 rooms we decided on the lesser view. I thought the "partial" view was quite good and we preferred the resort city excitement of overlooking Cannery Row. I often kept the balcony door open to hear the waves, seagulls, and the crowds on Cannery Row. They also have oceanfront rooms that appear to be much quieter and have exquisite views of the bays. Bring your binoculars since you will see Sea Otters playing in the ocean outside. The hotel is about 1 block from the aquarium and within easy walking distance of dozens of restaurants and shops.

Common Areas:
The hotel common areas are excellent. They have a modern look with an inspiring architecture and design that takes advantage of the hotel's ocean front location. The hallways are wide, bright, and nicely decorated. Elevators are efficient.

Restaurant and Bar:
The restaurant and bar were nicely decorated and well located. This is where the hotel is not quite perfect. The service in the restaurant and bar is simply "good" and not "excellent."

Bell and Valet Service
Outstanding. The bell service and housekeeping service is excellent.

Overall Service:
l must admit I have having a bit of disconnect between the service and the location. I kept getting a feeling I was in a European or African luxury hotel with the level of gracious service that is the hallmark of those luxury class hotels. Yet, we were in a California hotel. While you are having a drink in the lobby lean back and pretend you are in a luxury hotel in South Africa or Germany.
I kept waiting for there to be a problem to see how they handled it but we had absolutely zero problems when we were at the hotel.

Parking: Parking is fairly expensive in my opinion. Valet parking is only $3 more per day and they do an excellent job getting guests their vehicles quickly and managing the limited vehicle space and the difficult ingress and egress on Cannery Row. I have been in a few luxury hotels that could use a valet car service similar to this hotel.

Summary:
I liked the hotel. My family loved it. Since I make most of the travel arrangements, their enjoyment is the most important thing to me. Would we return? I wouldn't mind living there for a summer.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms and suites appear to sell out quickly during popular weekends so make your oceanfro...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JaimeUSA

Dear JaimeUSA,

Thank you so much for your thorough and thoughtful overview. We are delighted that you found our accommodations enjoyable and our staff helpful and professional. You have set a high bar for us, and we look forward to meeting those expectations during your next visit to Monterey.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We just spent 20 minutes trying to book a room for a trip in November. We were told there were rooms available and that we could purchase the aquarium package. After being passed from one person to another, we were told we had to call the hotel and we were given a name of a person that we needed to speak to. That person was not in. So, we called back to the reservation line and then were told they did not have any availability. Horrible customer service on reservations. Not sure if the hotel is nice or not, but we won't be staying there just because of the reservation process.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Kevin W

Dear Kevin W,

Thank you for considering staying with us for your trip to Monterey. I am troubled to learn that you had difficulties while attempting to make a reservation at InterContinental the Clement Monterey. I sincerely regret that you encountered some frustration during this process. Thank you for taking the time to inform me of this occurrence. I will ensure to share your feedback with our reservations team to better understand how to alleviate these issues from reoccurring.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

The Intercontinental Clement is located on Cannery Row, with numerous stores and restaurants on either side of the hotel that can be walked to. The superb location is also complemented by a gorgeous view of the water. The hotel itself is managed extremely well - beautiful, modern, clean, and with courteous service. It has everything you could possibly ask for!

Room Tip: The rooms with no water view are slightly larger than the rooms with water view, and excellent as we...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank shinywings

Dear shinywings,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to Monterey. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our central location on Cannery Row as well as the overall property. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!