El Castell Motel(Monterey)(Great Value!)
$221
$387
$349
GardenInn.com
  • Pool
Comfort Inn Monterey by the Sea(Monterey)(Great Value!)
$299
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
3,159 results
All reviewscannery rowvalet parkingbubba gumpocean viewbeautiful hotelperfect locationself parkvalet serviceper daygas fireplaceloved this hotelsea otterspacific groverestaurants and shopsbig suraquarium ticketsmain building
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Here's my letter to the GM:

I had by far, in the history of my entire 20 year career in hospitality, the best check-in experience ever! Jaeson is to be commended, and the rest of the front office team was also incredibly gracious and accommodating. Valet ran smooth despite heavy traffic. The check in set the tone for the rest of the visit, which was absolutely phenomenal.

Tiny attention to detail, especially the sensory ones and the quality of accommodations were far beyond my expectations. The guestrooms and thoughtfully appointed rest-rooms are top-notch. Location and views are a given, but everywhere I turned there was a unique touch, visual or treat that delighted me. The overall excellence in quality, combined with the superb training and follow through by your staff in every department was very much appreciated and is strongly applauded.

I will highly recommend and am most grateful for having the opportunity to experience such an amazing weekend. Thank you and once again, hats off to your team.

Room Tip: Ask for fireplace
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Memorial weekend and we had 3 nights to explore an see Monterey, almost mission impossible with 4 adults and 2 littilies (4 &2) but the selection of the Intercontinental made it all possible - great location, service and quality all round.
Just to be able to come and go, no parking worries, ability to wander out the front door to the Aquarium 2 minutes away( great as the crowds were so great we were able to go back later in the day easily when the numbers were lower), the action alongside at the wharf was great and even though our rooms faced this and were on the 2nd floor, no noise issues.
The quality of rooms and the service impeccable,was not our cheapest stay, but for value it was tops .
Highly recommended!

Room Tip: We actually liked having the view over the arrival area and the action on the wharf area.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2012

This hotel really wowed us at almost every turn. The front desk is always amply staffed, and the service is not only prompt, but very professional and polite. There are only two minor things I would change with this hotel. First, the water pressure in the shower is quite low. Secondly, it would be nice if some of their ocean-view rooms had two beds. My non-romantic friend and I stayed in a room with a king bed in order to benefit from a delightful ocean view.
After our prompt check-in, we almost gasped at our beautiful room (#432--rooms with full ocean views are 432-436 and 332-336). The staff seems to anticipate almost every need. The desk has multiple electrical outlets, and a tiny zen rock garden. Next to our TV we found a bowl of fruit, a dark chocolate bar, an extra bottle of water (in addition to two bottles near our bed), a bonsai monterey pine, and a letter and business card from the general manager. There were also two small milk chocolates, and a plush sea otter with baby, on the pillows. A call to the front quickly got firmer pillows I prefer.
Water bottles were replenished both with the morning housekeeping service, as well as with the evening turndown service (complimentary). Even when we checked out following our 3-night stay, we were offered more bottles of water "for the road" (actually, we were going to take a little hike along the seashore in Point Lobos, so these waters came in handy!).
The concierge, unlike at a Hilton in which I stayed the prior week-end (Portland Executive Towers), didn't "double" as a doorman or anything else. The service seemed to be available morning, afternoon, and even evening. Even when we enjoyed evenings in the patio, servers came over to offer wine or drinks or appetizers (not free, of course). The hotel also offers a very full-service spa with a dozen or so different massages (including hot stone, aromatherapy, etc.). Prices were quite reasonable for a hotel of this category.
Even the bathroom was quite roomy. The bathtub itself was deeper and longer than most, allowing for a full soak, including my sore shoulder. Rooms were quiet with no hallway or outside noise (though I have read other reviews that there may be some noise if your room faces the parking garage). The location can't be beat, within easy walking of all Cannery Row amenities and the Aquarium. Few hotels have delighted me more. It's a bit of a splurge, but we certainly felt we got our money's worth.

Room Tip: Full ocean views in rooms 332-336 and 432-436. These rooms, I believe, all have King beds.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I visited Monterey CA and, based upon the recommendation of a friend, I went to the bar in the Intercontinental Hotel on the waterfront. The bar has a great view of the ocean and from 5 pm to 7 pm has a great deal on hor's doevres and drinks...1/2 price. The appetizers (calamari, hot wings, tuna, etc.) were excellent and a great value. The house wine was much better than I expected. The service was very good and overall, a great experience and a great value.

I highly recommend the bar and the experience at the Intercontinental.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We were in the middle of a journey down the California coast and I wanted to make sure to stop in Monterey. The Clement looked perfect and did not disappoint.

The Cannery is a little busy, but it was easy to find the Clement and with valet at the door, parking was a breeze. The valets were friendly and helped us unload the bags then quickly took our car off our hands. The outside of the hotel is really pretty and the inside is just as great. I have to say I just loved the smell of all the common areas of the hotel. The combination of the sea with whatever fragrance/cleaner is being used is great.

The front desk is easy to find and both staff members we ended up dealing with were very friendly. One seemed a bit more experienced than the other, but both were great to interact with. I'm an RA and upon arrive we were told our suite was not ready yet, so they offered to give us a normal room to relax in while we waited. This was a very nice gesture and allowed us to freshen up a bit while we waited. It was less than half an hour before our suite was ready and boy was it worth the wait. The normal room was still very nice though. Very clean, large bathroom with a separate tub and shower, and a small balcony to look out into Cannery Row.

The suite we got was a King Bed Luxury Suite. Upon entering there is a living area, with a desk, fireplace, plenty of seating, television and its own bathroom. In the back there is a good sized balcony with a couple chairs and a small table. Had it been a little warmer this would have been a great place to relax in the evenings. Instead we usually relaxed near the fireplace.

The bedroom was just as great. The normal very comfortable IC bed, another fireplace, another television, wardrobe with very well stocked mini bar and an amazing bathroom. This is the first hotel where I really liked the shutters that open the bathroom up into the bedroom. It really was nice to open shutters and be able to get light in from the bay. And with the second bathroom available, any sort of privacy concerns didn't matter.

The room was very clean and housekeeping did a great job cleaning and reorganizing during the day. Every staff member in the hotel we interacted with was friendly and really seemed to want to make sure we were having a great stay. There was clearly some good training going on as well as picking great people that want to help the guests have a great time. We got room service one day and this went very well. One nice touch I haven't had happen at any other property is that we were called a few minutes before our breakfast arrived. I wish more hotels would do that so we wouldn't have to wonder and be surprised when it finally arrived.

The location of the hotel is also great. We were only here for two days and didn't end up even using the car. The aquarium is really excellent for a full afternoon of fun and is just a short 5 minute walk away. Within 15 minutes of walking you can easily get to a variety of great restaurants and cafes for lunch and dinner. And with the great location comes great views from the hotel.

My only tiny quip would be with the spa. We went with the couple's twilight massage, but I was a bit surprised when I was told I couldn't get it any later than 4 PM. Not exactly twilight. I didn't feel like the spa desk employees were quite as friendly as the rest of the hotel. Usually there is different management for the two at hotels and it was apparent. Nevertheless the spa was a great experience. The therapists were friendly and provided excellent services, and they are why we were there. Would have been nice to have gotten it a bit later, but not a huge deal.

Overall though, this was easily one of the best hotel stays we've ever had. The management here clearly is doing a great job at leading and has a great staff that wants to make sure their guests are happy. Monterey was a great place for a relaxing, fun visit and The Clement was an amazing part of that. If we're ever back around the Central Coast, The Clement will be at the top of our list of places to stay.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view. The views are amazing and being off Cannery Row, it will be a bit quieter during the day.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple