“Modern, Elegant, Tasteful, Welcoming and Next to the Aquarium” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental The Clement Monterey

InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Ranked #4 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
San Francisco, California
“Modern, Elegant, Tasteful, Welcoming and Next to the Aquarium”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

I made a reservation for a partial ocean view room with a gas fireplace and got one on the ocean with a balcony large enough for two chairs. They really seem to have thought of everything (even bathroom slippers). The climate control and fireplace are easy to use; a flat screen TV and decent Sony iPod dock, and 7 available AC outlets near the bed & desk for your gadgets. Complementary bottled water (a good thing, since the local supply isn't great). It's the perfect treat if you want to go back and forth to the aquarium, which is a long block away: as convenient as you can get. The staff is eager to help. Minor complaints: 1) extra charges for internet (I have my own broadband card, so no big deal) 2) the self-park is around the next block, 3) Some of the furniture in the restful and elegant reading room is a bit frayed, 4) the pool and jacuzzi are small maybe a bit chill for this climate. You'll prefer this to the Monterey Plaza 1) for convenience to the aquarium, modern understated decor, and relatively short corridors. The Monterey Plaza has lonngg corridors and is a good walk to the aquarium, but the rooms are more colorful and plusher, there's a player piano in a spectacular craftsman style lobby, and the spa is well, gorgeous: a jacuzzi overlooking the ocean through glass fences with a gas fireplace next to it. So take your pick. Either is a treat.

Room Tip: The ocean rooms are remarkable but of course pricier.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (604)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Clap board style hotel built literally over the ocean with the waves crashing beneath,such a treat to open the balcony doors and see the sea and hear the waves.The bedrooms were perfect in every detail,calm greeny grey colours,huge bed,stunning bathrooms.The highlight of our stay was to sit out on the huge deck,beside the fire pit,drinking Californian red wine ,eating calamari,during the half price happy hour,overlooking the ocean with sound of the waves,with perfect service from the bar staff,hard to beat this place

Room Tip: Sea view a must
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank f00dmama
South Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

We had one night in this delightful location. The staff here were very warm and welcoming. We were given a room upgrade with lovely partial ocean view, entertained by the sea otters. The room with was gorgeous. Our 8 year old son lost his tooth and staff helped to capture the American Tooth Fairy magic for his loss. The restaurant was lovely overlooking the ocean. Would have loved an extra night here to take in more of the sights. Unfortunately due to landslides we were unable to drive Highway 1 to take in the scenery of Carmel by Sea and the Big Sur. Next Time !!!. The Monterey Aquarium is a must do, it is spectacular and very informative.

Room Tip: We had a very active couple in the room next to us which could have left some explaining to do shoul...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ALISouthAustralia
Carmel, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

I'm a local and regular at the Spa at the Clement. I was motivated to post a review because recently new management took over and it is vastly improved. I had come a few times during the previous management and went elsewhere, but when I heard there was new management, I gave it another try because I like the location. I've been four times and have found the new management to be gracious and attentive, very customer-oriented, professional, and the decor is tasteful. It isn't a spacious, grand environment like the rest of the hotel, but rather more intimate, and though there are many elaborate choices in this area, I come here for the solid, quality service. (BTW I travel a lot, stay in 5-star accommodations, and have been to many spas — I believe I have a good sense of what's available internationally.)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank JHCarmel
Monterey, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

I'm stayed here several times and the service, down to the last person, has always been excellent and the rooms and facilities spotless. Ladies, I have well over a hundred facials and spa experiences and I can say this was of the top two worst. Do not go!!
I arrived at my appt for my facial the typical 15min early. I waited in a small, empty reception room for 7 minutes - an employee in her early 20's ducked her head in once and looked at me then ducked right back out, no greeting or ask for why I was standing there. A couple minutes she came back in and asked if she could help me and I explained I had an appointment. She took me in to the small "relaxation room" next to the reception area and asked me to wait. No offer of tea, coffee, water, bathrobe, bathroom or any other typical spa offering. This relaxation room is literally less than 10 feet and separated by a large glass double-door from the pool where several children (nothing against kids but most women go to the spa to get AWAY from the screaming, not be seated next to it). Several minutes later a young man in his 20's came in and asked if I would like some water... which he then produced in a 4-oz paper Dixie cup. No kidding.
By now, my facial was 10 minutes past due. I was the only customer. At the 14-15 min point, another young woman came in and said she was making the bed and would be with me in a few minutes. When she came back out, my service was now 20 min late in starting, 4 children were loudly enjoying the pool 10ft away, I had finished my 3oz of room-temperature water and was still in my clothes and winter coat.
I was taken to another room for my service which was very clean, but ladies, you'll need to bring your coathanger if you don't want to get undressed and throw your clothes on the back of a chair - no sign of a bathrobe, closet, bathroom, or coathanger for that matter.
It was a 50min service and did go the whole time despite starting late but the young girl providing the service, though very nice, really had no idea what she was doing. After 50 min of awkwardly applying creams she said, "Okay, we're done." and - no kidding - immediately got up and walked out the door. No "How was it?" No "Here's a mirror..." No "Can I get you anything?" Just "Okay, we're done" on her way out the door.
$145 dollars later, I left, now understanding why I hadn't seen a single other customer.
But wait, that's not all! I have normal skin. No sensativities, no alergies, no medications, not pregnant, don't smoke, nothing, and I'm in my late 30's. I've used the same skin cream (La Prairie) for years. Never had any reactions to a facial.... until now. I am now walking around Monterey with itchy, red, flaking skin covering most of the right side of my face from my forehead to under my chin. It looks really awful and feels like it looks.

I will happily return to this hotel for meals and the overnight stays - but I'll will avoid the "spa" like the plague.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank danielle a
san diego, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

From Liz at the front desk, to Mark ~ who does it all ~ to Rosa in catering who helped me out (unsolicited) with my "housekeeping" issues..hands down the best staff I've ever encountered. Add that to a beautiful hotel and location..can't go wrong!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

We stayed at the Intercontinental and had a fabulous time. It is nestled right on the water and on the historic Cannery Row. The staff is great. We went down to the C Bar and the bartenders were wonderful. You can simply walk out of the Clement and go shopping on Cannery Row, go to the Aquarium, or have your choice of a variety of restaurants. Absolutely recommend it. Very clean and trendy rooms as well. Don't forget to go to the Wharf and see the seals.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple