“Beary good!”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night
Adelaide, Australia
“Beary good!”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Great food and great service - true, it's just a diner, but the food is really nice, there's lots of variety, and the individual pies for dessert are amazing (especially if you have them a la mode).

Visited May 2013

Texas, United States
“Great Service, Horrible Food.”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I've lived in Monterey for almost a year now and decided to come here before we leave permanently at the end of the week. They told me they did an entire revamp of their whole menu just the week or so before we came in. I ordered the chicken fried steak with garlic fries and carrots as side options (as of now they don't have their side options listed so you have to annoy your waiter/waitress, she claims it is because there is so many). I had a salad with ranch as a starter (my meal came with it) and that was typical. It came with cornbread which I gave to my husband since he didn't have any sort of starter. He said it was good. When I first got my plate it looked good but the smell of garlic overpowered EVERYTHING and it was so strong I just wanted to throw up. I was expecting a light dash of garlic powder or something but it was a PILE of what looked like jarred minced garlic in the middle of my fries. The carrots were only half done. They were almost raw with some slight softness in a couple of them. My chicken fried steak (I got the smaller one) was relatively good but too much pepper for my taste. It wasn't terribly overpowering though. I tried to munch on the fries but the garlic was just too much. I was stuck eating what little fries I could that didn't have garlic with some ketchup as they were rather tasteless alone.

My husband got the chicken club(?) with bacon and avocado on it (he is an avocado LOVER!) and he said that it was pretty decent. He got normal fries.

This is coming from a person that is happy with just about anything as long as its food I don't already dislike. I wouldn't eat there again. Also, they do have huge portions as everyone states but I agree that portion size doesn't make up for taste... it just adds to overeating. My waitress was very friendly though and I was happy that we at least got to take advantage of the military discount. Honestly I wish I would have made my last "nicer" (something besides fast food) meal in Monterey something else.

• Visited May 2013
Basel, Switzerland
“good value”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Good food for the price paid.
The service was fast and kind.
Good place to eat, i would recommand it.

Visited May 2013
los gatos, CA
“Breakfast on the way to auto races”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This diner is close to highway 1 on the way to the Laguna Seca Raceway. We like to get to the races when they open at 8 am, and a hearty breakfast at the Black Bear is a good start to a long day at the races. I had chicken fried steak with eggs and one of their huge biscuits. Their potatoes aren't the usual hash browns - grated in wider strips - but very good.

• Visited April 2013
California
“consistently good”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We always look for a BLACK BEAR Dinner to eat at whenever we are on the road. We found them many years ago when we were Nordic Skiing at Mt. Shasta where they first opened up. The food and service are always great at all their locations. There is always ample amounts to fill us up. This restaurant was no exception. Large portions of meat with delicious side dishes. Fresh ice tea

• Visited May 2013