“Great place to visit.”

HI-Point Montara Lighthouse
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I have not stayed at the hostel but here I find a small beautiful beach. If you drive in this area you can have a bed for only $22 plus tax.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed August 2, 2011

Youth hostels are not what they used to be when it is time to saving money. We paid 105$ a night for a tiny private room that was very clean and comfortable, but it was basically 3 beds. There was a well equipped kitchen and the view of the light house and the coast was fantastic. Free Wi-Fi Internet. The hostel advertise that there is a hot tub, but it is 7$ per person per 30min. of usage. Kind of a rip off I found.
Overall, I would have rated this place excellent (because it was), but I find that the price is somewhat steep for what we got.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Ian W
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Only 2 complaints that I have...1) I didn't have anyone to share the experience with (traveling alone to west coast for work) and 2) I couldn't stay more than one night.

This place was breathtaking. Simply stated. It's barebones, but it's a hostel, so I expected that. And honestly, I needed it! I needed a break from tv and daily luxuries and no internet in my room. It was just me and my camera. They have all new tempur-pedic mattresses and I had private room #1, which was extremely clean. Left the window open all night listening to the waves crash and it was the best sleep I had all week (coming from a pricey hotel stay)! Arrived just in time for the most amazing sunset. Everyone was extremely friendly and the lounge and kitchen were hopping the next morning as guests enjoyed their morning coffee and sharing a morning meal while exchanging stories. The wifi access was great, coffee available for $1. I WILL be back and bringing my husband with me!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 19, 2011

The interesting, beautiful lighthouse location (I made a lot of photos at this place), cute beach right down from the hostel and very comfortable accommodations (good bathrooms, especially, and the place is kept warm and heaters for the rooms are provided so you can control the room temperature). The downside is that there're some weirdos stay there once in a while, since the hostel can be reached by bus from SF. The gate gets locked at 11 and this is good--guests can get good sleep due to no late arrivals.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My BFF and I traveled here on the first leg of this year's vacation. The staff is friendly, helpful, and fun and they make great coffee specialty drinks in the morning too). The accommodations are simple (it is a hostel), the private room has a twin/full bunkbed, and small pull up table with the most incredible view of the ocean from the window. Everything was clean. The kitchen is nice when you want a cup of tea or to cook a full meal. There is a beautifully located, yummy (albeit slow service) Peruvian restaurant with full bar nearby that is worth the trip. You can't beat this place for the price and ocean front location. In the common room there is a cozy wood stove to sit near and read, play a game, or just talk. Very enjoyable stay.
It is easy to miss the entrance when traveling there for the first time. Only 7 miles North of
the charming town of Half Moon Bay.

Room Tip: We stayed in the building NW of the office.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank family2shop4
Reviewed April 26, 2011

My son and I stayed in the coed dorm. This is a room with 3 sets of bunk beds and a separate bathroom. We ended up with the whole room to ourselves. So I can't comment on how the experience would be with a full house. But we had a great time.
This is a hostel. So if you are thrown by thin walls, having to make your own bed, not having access to your room for a certain time during the day for cleaning or having to share a bathroom, this is not the place for you.
But if you are open to alternative types of travel. This is a terrific place. First of all, the location is exceptional. It is on the grounds of a small, old lighthouse. You don't get closer to the ocean than that. The views from our dorm room were of the coast and the lighthouse.
They have two kitchens, so there is plenty of room to cook your own full meals. We ate our breakfast in front of a big window overlooking the beautiful coastline.
They have games you can borrow. And the people who stay in hostels are often very friendly. So it's likely that you could get to know people from diffrent continents over a game of monopoly.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank Three-men-and-a-babe
Reviewed December 9, 2010

My partner and I, stayed in a private room and shared the bath/shower with our friends that also stayed in a private room. the set up was good, one main door let's you into a common area that had a door to shower on the left and the toilet and sink on the right and then two doors straight ahead that led to two separate private rooms with a double bed and a single bunk bed up above ... Perfect . The rooms are small, and that's all we needed. We keep the one window open all night to listen to the crashing waves ... sweet bliss.
The kitchen was well equipped and you could get a strong coffee from staff, they also had limited food items for sale. We stayed one night, although we wished it was two.
The grounds were beautiful and well kept ...the buildings were getting a fresh paint job when we arrived. They have a washer and dryer ... cheap, do not bring laundry detergent, they prefer you use theirs at no cost. The main area is cozy, they have a small library and games. This place stands out for me on our trip along the coast!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank CeeSue
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montara
Beach House at Half Moon Bay
Best Western Plus Lighthouse Hotel
Pacifica Beach Hotel
Pacifica Beach Hotel
#3 of 6 in Pacifica

Been to HI-Point Montara Lighthouse? Share your experiences!