“Great hidden gem historic inn on the coast!”
Review of Ocean View Inn

Ocean View Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Montara B&B and Inns
Pacifica, California
“Great hidden gem historic inn on the coast!”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last night and were kindly upgraded to the penthouse ocean view room. It was adorable and a great value. I saw some of the negative reviews and am glad we went with our instincts and came anyway. It's important to note that this place has great history and their in the process of renovating the place. When you have an historic property you have to gain approvals from several commissions. Also this is a B&B with a great ocean view bakery/cafe that's also good for lunch. For those negative nellies looking for five star service and accommodations for $135 a night please get a reality check. This place has charming personality and a great view for the money. We will be back!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank pachamama67

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
El Dorado Hills, California, United States
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Overall in need of many repairs. Found used floss pick on the bedside table. Carpet was stained with grease. Arm chairs covered blankets to hide tears and stains. Windows that didn't close and curtain rods falling off the walls. Checked out a day early and no return call from the GM to refund the last night's stay. The clerk at the desk argued with me about finding the floss pick. Like I would make that up! Stay away from this one!!

Room Tip: Doubt there is one.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Cheryl S
OceanViewInn, Manager at Ocean View Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Hello Cheryl, I find your review misleading and untrue, but never the less your perception. Typically if a guest is not happy with the room/accommodations they immediately come down and notify the front desk. You stayed one night without any comments and then decided to leave, which is not the norm. You stand corrected that you were refunded for a full nights stay although we do have a 48 hour cancellation policy and the GM approved the refund. As far as the condition/cleaniness of the room, I personally cleaned that room and told you such, you looked very surprised when I said that. And, yes, that floss pick was not in the room and I stand by that. Interestingly enough you manager to partake in the continential breakfast and checked out at 11am when you informed me of your displeasure. I am sorry you were "way disappointed" the NEXT day and not upon arrival as I would have been more than happy to help you find accommodations and release you from the reservation. But the day after???????? Yes, we do our very best to make the room comfortable and we take great pride in making certain it is clean and presentable. Not for everyone's taste, but clean for sure!

Travelers are raving about these Montara hotels

pacifica
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I've stayed at the Ocean View Inn many times and I love it. The rooms are all huge and the penthouse is absolutely fabulous. The place is very old, very romantic and a little funky, but I love funky. It was built around the turn of the century and is an old Victorian roadhouse, and I heard from the locals that the old roadhouses were all speakeasies where lots of illegal activities went on during prohibition, so I think its an old brothel. This place has history, a fabulous ambiance, stained glass windows in some of the rooms (ask to see them). It's a unique and wonderful place, but its not the Sheraton and the price is right. For me there is no comparison. This is my kind of place. Debbie the owner is soo welcoming. If you stay here, make sure you go to the Moss Beach Distillery for great live music and great food, you can bring your dog. Also, check out the Bach Dynamite and Dancing Society in Moss Beach, a walk from the Ocean View Inn, the best straight up jazz in the Bay Area. Carol

Room Tip: The penthouse is by far the best room at roadhouse/Ocean View Inn. Stay here if its available.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

The lady at the front desk was friendly. We stayed in the penthouse and it was nicely decorated. There is no phone in the room, so every time we needed something we had to walk up and down three flights of stairs. The Ocean View is extremely disappointing. The website does not mention that Highway 1 and se houses are between the Hotel and the Ocean. It said you could hear the waves from the Penthouse. All I could hear was the continuous traffic on the highway. I paid for an Ocean View and I received a partial View. We did not try the breakfast. We drove about four miles to Denny's in Pacifica.
Another review said something about a barking dog. I had knocked on the door at several different times and I never heard a dog. They are remodeling so don't be to harsh on the exterior appearance. I just wish the website was a bit more up front about the view and I would not have been so disappointed. I would have expected a freeway not an view.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank trodjack
Austin, MN
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I wish I had read the reviews before I booked this place, but had booked it last minute and was disappointed by my experience there. I would not give it such a low rating if I had known what I was getting but felt misled by the beautiful pictures on the website and most frustrating was the fact that they did NOT HONOR MY CONFIRMATION FOR A KING SIZE BED. I handed my printout of my reservation confirmation for a "Standard King Room" but was told I was getting a Queen and that there were no rooms with King beds available. I was upset by this especially since it was my anniversary and my husband is 6'4" so I had planned for a nice evening. I told her there was a mistake and the front desk staff said she changed the mistake and sure enough, she reprinted the confirmation and handed me a new copy of their confirmation of my room with a queen size bed - not the King size that originally booked under. But seeing that I was still not satisfied she told me that if the room wasn't satisfactory, that I could go and try and find a different place and they could cancel the room for me without cancelation penalty. I thought that was a lame consolation because it was 7:30 pm on a Friday night - where were we going to find vacancy at that point? And why should I try driving all around town to find a room when I thought I had booked a nice one already?

The property was old and run down - you could call it quaint - it had some cuteness to it, but really needed some refurbishing. Our room was spacious, the queen size was adequate enough; we did not sleep great on it. The bathtub had Jacuzzi jets but it was broken and there was a sign saying that if guests turned on the Jacuzzi, they would be responsible for any damages, fined and possibly thrown out of the hotel. Romantic huh? The lid on the tank was broken, the wallpaper was peeling. Their ad in on of the Half Moon Bay Visitor's Guides said they had a pool - it doesn't. It says it had an Ocean View, I couldn't see the ocean from the property at all, just a busy highway. Breakfast consisted of bottled of OJ, fruit, and some microwaved frozen biscuits that you can buy at the grocery store down the street.

On the positive side however, the shower had nice water pressure, the sheets on the bed were nice, and the Front Desk Staff was very friendly. Our room opened onto a back shared patio, which is kind of cool. The Front Desk staff called it a "garden" which was a concrete patio with some plants - I don't think there were any flowers.

It was the cheapest room could find that night (about $114) and I was resigned to the fact that I got what I paid for. But when I checked around in Half Moon Bay I found other B&Bs comparably priced and much nicer than this place. I wouldn't come here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DAMatt
OceanViewInn, Manager at Ocean View Inn, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your review. We apologize your stay was not to your liking and trust me we would have done everything we could to accommodate you, but we were sold out during a busy time. We do invite you to come back and we will be happy to host another stay ~ a "do over" if you will so you can have a better experience and celebrate your anniversary. Please call me to arrange this. Our free continental breakfast is more in content than normal. With only coffee and pastries, we provide, juices, yogurt, fresh milk, cereals, fruit, pastries and array of tea and chocolate and even breakfast sandwiches. Congratulations on your anniversary and we hope you will offer us another opportunity to host your stay.
Houston
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The place is a bit run down although I read that the suite on the top floor is remodeled. Our room needed some updating. Carpet was tired, furniture has seen it's better days. Mold in the window corners. One bed was adequate and the other was like sleeping on a table with sheets. Breakfast was nothing special. The innkeepers were very friendly and helpful. I would not stay here again though. Even the view was quite limited.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ackHouston
OceanViewInn, Manager at Ocean View Inn, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for your review. We apologize that your stay was not comfortable or to your liking. As always, you could have informed the front desk and we would have released you from your reservation or offered another room. It's our position to make your stay pleasant and welcoming at all times. Transformations and renovations take time. Our goal is to revive this beautiful historical building to sustain it's livelihood. But as the majority of guests enjoy staying here, we understand it's not for everyone. Thank you so much again for your critique as it helps us to make changes in a positive direction. We hope you will check back now and then and see our progress of the rooms and inn. And maybe someday in the future you will come and enjoy!
From the Innkeeper, Debbie Padilla
Great Mills, Maryland, United States
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We made the mistake of booking this old dump. The ocean is not much in view but the busy highway is.The place smells bad, the furniture is worn and dirty. The carpet is scorched in several places by an electric iron. The room with two queen beds has one bed that is so hard (think box spring) that it is not possible to sleep on it. We were offered another room and two roll-away beds as an alternative but soon discovered that that room was missing a smoke alarm (wires hanging from the ceiling). When we complained about the lack of smoke alarm and mentioned the safety violation we were told to "get out" by the housekeeping woman. We asked for a refund since the hotel was prepaid through Hotels.com and were refused. If Hotels.com keeps this place on their site we will never book with them again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Edd C
OceanViewInn, Manager at Ocean View Inn, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
I find it interesting you will post a review and you did not stay here? Also, you neglect to mention that you and your family were nightmares (and did not even check in). You had our front desk clerk so nervous and shaken. And, then you proceed to enter rooms that are being cleaned even after being asked to please wait. You ran up and down this inn until our housekeeper told you to please leave and was going to call the police on you! Well, I agree, NEVER too! You are not welcomed back here either. You should be ashamed of yourselves as parents to teach you children how to behave poorly while travelling. I will bet you were nightmares where ever you go. The inn may not have been to your liking, but with a courteous mention to the front desk and we would have released you from your reservation, no problem. Maybe Hotels.com should not accept your reservation any longer either. Your more suited for a log cabin in the wilderness. From the Innkeeper.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montara
Beach House at Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay Lodge
Half Moon Bay Lodge
#3 of 8 in Half Moon Bay
HI-Point Montara Lighthouse

Been to Ocean View Inn? Share your experiences!