“All around great place”

Ocean View Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Montara B&B and Inns
“All around great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

We where looking to stay some place different than your run of the mill hotel and we found it. We checked in around 8 and the friendly gentalmen at the front gave us a tour of the property and told us about all the history. This place really turned our night around because we blew out our tire on the way here and wasn't in a good mood. I'm writing this review from the room incredibly hung over but I just got back from eating their breakfast which is made to order we had eggs bacon hash browns toast and milk. Which worked wonders on my hangover. And you cant forget that every room has a jacuzzi tub. I highly recommend staying here if you get a chance.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Smiley4505

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

Dear Dee Patel,
dear Nemu & Karina,

I'm already back to Austria and my holiday is over. BUT for my whole holiday in California your Ocean View Inn was the best! This has especially a lot to do with your personal effort! Thank you so much once again for everything. It was a pity and I really regret that I couldn't stay longer than for one night.
I'll definitely come back to you again due to the lovely and nicely arranged accomodation and most of all to see and meet you again! Thank you!!!

Wish you all the best and best regards from Vienna, Christian F.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Christian F
West Hollywood, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

My new wife and I had the pleasure of staying at this lovely bed and breakfast while on our honeymoon mid September. We were treated with great respect and felt like royalty when we viewed our room for the first time. We had great vaulted ceilings, very comfy bed, and a large deck/patio with a ocean view. Definitely eat at the restaurant next store, its amazing. We had the most delicious pizza ever, all fresh and hand made right in front of us. Only a few miles away from Half moon bays charming Main street. The husband and wife running it were very kind and warm. A hot breakfast and coffee was also provided via complementary room service. Would highly recommend this hotel and look forward to a return in the near future.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Matt G
Elk Grove, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

Even with some of the renovations already completed, this place is still a dive motel, not a Bed and Breakfast (even though it is listed as one on several websites). They do serve you breakfast, but no amount of remodeling (and there is still a LOT that needs to be done) is going to turn this into a quiet place to get away. The staff was pleasant, so I feel bad I can't give anything but a very negative review.

Our initial room had not been remodeled and was falling apart. We asked for a different room (and they moved us immediately), and while the new room had some updates, there was still some peeling wallpaper, water stains, broken drapes, a funny smell and obvious patch jobs. The windows and sliding doors to the dilapidated deck are old and thin, and the only way to drown out the highway noise was to leave the room AC unit blowing all night. The mattress was uncomfortably hard.

Breakfast (eggs, bacon, fruit, potatoes, toast, OJ) was decent but nothing remarkable.

For HALF the price we paid, if the remodel was complete, I could imagine calling this a cheap, quirky place to stay the night on a road trip, but at the price we paid, it was a very poor value.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PoorArtists

Travelers are raving about these Montara hotels

florence
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

We booked our room in advance-which was a mistake considering there were no reviews for the new owners. While the inn has potential, they should not rent the rooms until they have been remodeled. It felt dirty. If nothing else, replace the filthy shower curtain, curtains, bedspreads, etc. before renting. The caretakers/owners were very nice, but that does not make up for the horrible condition of the rooms. We would not stay there again. Also, the locks are not secure enough. The sliding glass door could be accessed easily and the front door to the inn was never locked. Had we not paid in advance, we would have left. My husband would not even bring his luggage in-he left it in the car. Wait until the inn is remodeled and then check it out before you pay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank qui222
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

I didn't actually stay here, although I did book a room and pay a deposit. When I arrived, my room had been given to someone else. I was running late getting there. I phoned ahead at 9pm. I was assured by a sweet young man named Travis that my room was waiting for me. I arrived at the Inn at 10 pm. When I arrived with my reservation paperwork, Travis seemed genuinely mortified that he had mistakenly given my room to another woman who showed up within that hour. He thought she was me. The young woman Inn Keeper immediately found rooms available in the area but for over double the cost. I opted to drive back to the bay area to stay with a brother. I showed the Inn Keepers my paper work. I had paid a 10% deposit on the room. She offered to tell the booking agency that I did not show up, which I pointed out wasn't the truth because I was standing in front of them. They were very sweet people, but, I wasn't helped out in any way. It wrecked my weekend at the coast and no one has offered any kind of restitution.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank GreenQueenColleen
OceanViewInn, Manager at Ocean View Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
The management of the Ocean View Inn is extremely sorry for the confusion that took place that evening. We have definitely taken this problem seriously and have worked out the bugs in the communication error. Once again the Ocean View Inn offers our deepest apologies.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montara
Beach House at Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay Lodge
Half Moon Bay Lodge
#3 of 8 in Half Moon Bay
HI-Point Montara Lighthouse

Been to Ocean View Inn? Share your experiences!